Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican plated car at the border

qt9998

Has anyone had problems taking a Mexican plated car into and out of US? (of course we would get online insurance thru Progressive)

Just before you cross the border into the USA from Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa, and other points in Mexico, there are insurance sales offices along the roadside. These offices ONLY sell insurance for vehicles with Mexican license plates.

A friend of mine (gringo on a "Non-Inmigrado Rentista") recently tried to get insurance for his Mexican plated car so he could drive it into the US. He was told by his insurance company that he must have a Mexican driver's licence in order to get coverage. He doesn't, so ended up driving his other car which is US plated. You might want to check with your insurance provider first before buying insurance.

Progressive and probably Geico etc. just want an address in the US "where the vehicle is normally stored".

You don't have to supply state tag numbers. After all they are insuring a vehicle, not checking whether you

have a proper registration which is your responsibility not theirs.

I use Progressive and / or Geico on the US plated car (for the liability when renting a car in the USA) and now that you remind me, they do use the VIN, not the state license plate number. I hope it all works as it should on a Mexican plated car. (I'll be driving one north someday.)

I'm pretty sure the address where the vehicle is normally stored is just used for the comprehensive, which I don't buy, although one cannot escape providing it.

I just bought liability insurance thru Progressive online. They asked for the VIN number which I provided with no problem. I think the Corolla was manufactured in

Canada with final assembly in Mexico. Anyway a Mexican lady bought it new in Mexico.

Also provided Progressive with my Florida drivers license number along with Florida address. No request for Mexican drivers license which I don't have.

Archived