Chapala.com Webboard

Military or Police checkpoint at the entrance and exits from Jocotepec

Just before reaching the border of Jocotepec and the fish restaurants...the existing road is being widened by two more lanes. Two concrete "pill boxes" or guard posts have already been constructed and have permanent roof covers. The units are similar to those in use at military check points north of Jalisco. It would seem that they intend to use this road to check and control all traffic going to and leaving Jocotepec. This would certainly given the drug folks reason to avoid this road as there is no secondary road to avoid this future blockage of traffic.

The dozers and crews are working 7 days a week and look like they will be nearly complete in less than two weeks. As if topes and vibradors aren't slowing up thru traffic....this might be like a cork in a bottle.

Fred Habacht

I am okay with stopping and having them eyeball the interior of the car, but if I have to pull out all my cards and papers and argue with them, that would be different and would cut down sizably on my interest in going to the west end of the Lake.

Yes. I remember our frequent trips to Tlaquepaque, Tonala and Guadalajara when we were furnishing our new home in 2001. We were always stopped as we drove our SUV, which must have interested them. After being stopped for the tenth time, I remarked about the frequency and we were always waved on after that day. Soon thereafter, the checkpoint vanished.

Archived