Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic seems lighter - Have lots of snowbirds returned?

The climate is good, no question, but then I once had a wife that was great in bed, but otherwise she was a disaster; in house keeping, socially, cleaning, parenting?, and once the adolescent mystic of the bedroom wore off, I grew up and looked around - I realized the mistake I had made in seeing her in one very very narrow criteria - that was 45 years ago, according to sources, she's not changed, will Mexico ever grow up?

Oh, PS: ajijicis4me, please PM me when you're ready to shell out the "peanuts' for nationalizing and paying the insurance for my road worthy vehicles, I'll be most appreciative.

And, just in case anyone wants a great villa with extensive property there in one near me for a very reasonable price that has been on the market since last year and has had 1(one) visitor 4 months ago, so get out your check books, this one is a "steal" at the price.

We came here from Baltimore just this year to be full timers. It is awful to see people here acting like the Baltimorons we left. When we moved to Baltimore 20 years ago, we found so much in that city and loved it. Then, over the years, we started listening to the natives, reading the newspapers, watching TV and listening to radio. These people could no longer see the good things of the city and began to bad mouth it whenever they could. And after a while all of the bad mouthing began to filter out and people were convinced that Baltimore had nothing to offer but crime, illiteracy, slums, drugs and everything else. We still found it to be a good city for a long time.

I can tell you the rest of the story. By the time we left, the self loathing of Baltimorons had penetrated to us also. And that was when we knew it was time to leave. Nothing had changed, but for the better, people returning to the city to live there, new hotels, office buildings, construction everywhere you looked, but the people couldn't or wouldn't see it, so visitors and friends from both in town and out of town were told of nothing but the seamy side of the city. And it believed it and the wish, in too many cases began a self fulfilling prophesy.

Now I am reading the same thing on this thread here. "Ajijic is going down hill." "The glory days of years past are over." "people are leaving because....(fill in the blank)" Well, folks, just keep it up and it will leak out and your town will become a self fulfilling prophesy. Newbies like is will begin to believe you because you are "experienced old timers" and we will start to look for all that is "no longer great here." Shame on y'all.

Things change, but the basics of why we are here does not. I've already been involved in the city, working with the Delegado, involved in two community groups and, yes, there are problems, but this is a fabulous place where the good outnumbers the bad. I am so tired of hearing about traffic (you people don't know what real traffic is any more!). I am so tired about hearing about high prices (You haven't been in the real world lately? The prices of things here are amazing!) The quality of the restaurants isn't what it was (Guess what, maybe they aren't, but there are exceptional ones if you go and look for them, and new ones y'all don't know about.)

You know, my mother told me that if you don't have anything good to say about someone (thing) don't say anything. Maybe y'all need to remember that.

Then there is this one, a golden oldie from the 60's: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem

And lastly I am reminded of a sign I had in my shop. It read, "If you like something we did, tell someone else. If you didn't like something we did, tell us."

Yes, Ajijic is changing and maybe to you oldies it is no longer the good old days. But were the good old days that good? I was told recently by a female friend of mine here that she could remember when she had to go to Guadalajara or even further to get chocolate chip cookies and feminine hygiene products. Now she can get chocolate chip cookies right here and is too old to care about the feminine hygiene products.

End of rant - don't grey out my town - there is too much color here, but for those who have grown to old and jaded to see it.

We came here from Baltimore just this year to be full timers. It is awful to see people here acting like the Baltimorons we left. When we moved to Baltimore 20 years ago, we found so much in that city and loved it. Then, over the years, we started listening to the natives, reading the newspapers, watching TV and listening to radio. These people could no longer see the good things of the city and began to bad mouth it whenever they could. And after a while all of the bad mouthing began to filter out and people were convinced that Baltimore had nothing to offer but crime, illiteracy, slums, drugs and everything else. We still found it to be a good city for a long time.

I can tell you the rest of the story. By the time we left, the self loathing of Baltimorons had penetrated to us also. And that was when we knew it was time to leave. Nothing had changed, but for the better, people returning to the city to live there, new hotels, office buildings, construction everywhere you looked, but the people couldn't or wouldn't see it, so visitors and friends from both in town and out of town were told of nothing but the seamy side of the city. And it believed it and the wish, in too many cases began a self fulfilling prophesy.

Now I am reading the same thing on this thread here. "Ajijic is going down hill." "The glory days of years past are over." "people are leaving because....(fill in the blank)" Well, folks, just keep it up and it will leak out and your town will become a self fulfilling prophesy. Newbies like is will begin to believe you because you are "experienced old timers" and we will start to look for all that is "no longer great here." Shame on y'all.

Things change, but the basics of why we are here does not. I've already been involved in the city, working with the Delegado, involved in two community groups and, yes, there are problems, but this is a fabulous place where the good outnumbers the bad. I am so tired of hearing about traffic (you people don't know what real traffic is any more!). I am so tired about hearing about high prices (You haven't been in the real world lately? The prices of things here are amazing!) The quality of the restaurants isn't what it was (Guess what, maybe they aren't, but there are exceptional ones if you go and look for them, and new ones y'all don't know about.)

You know, my mother told me that if you don't have anything good to say about someone (thing) don't say anything. Maybe y'all need to remember that.

Then there is this one, a golden oldie from the 60's: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem

And lastly I am reminded of a sign I had in my shop. It read, "If you like something we did, tell someone else. If you didn't like something we did, tell us."

Yes, Ajijic is changing and maybe to you oldies it is no longer the good old days. But were the good old days that good? I was told recently by a female friend of mine here that she could remember when she had to go to Guadalajara or even further to get chocolate chip cookies and feminine hygiene products. Now she can get chocolate chip cookies right here and is too old to care about the feminine hygiene products.

End of rant - don't grey out my town - there is too much color here, but for those who have grown to old and jaded to see it.

Good attitude and agree with much of what you post. There is no paradise, other than the one we contribute towards. A positive and realistic disposition means so much. We are so grateful for the friends--and family--we have gained here. In many instances, our relationships are thicker than blood. Life is what we make it, and Ajijic means a lot to many of us. It's a give and take, but we are indeed happy and realistically positive.

FHBOY, I agree with most of what you said. I've been here 3 years, and love it. When people complain about prices, I just chuckle to myself. I'm still WAY too able to remember the prices NOB. What you will discover is that folks that were miserable or know it alls or naysayers NOB are the same here. This board manages to attract quite a few. Choose to surround yourself with likeminded people, and as you are doing, do things that contrubute to the greater good. Be assured, there are lots of other happy, satisfied folks around. It isn't perfect here, but I didn't expect it to be.

You're definitely right about the prices up there. Even in Texas, it is a shock every time we go.

Don't undervalue the incredible weather. We get a reminder of just how good it is every time we go NOB. Hardly a day passes here that one of us doesn't say, "gosh, it's a gorgeous day."

These immigration changes are not being handled well it is true. Anyone from the U.S. should not be shocked by arbitrary, capricious and just plain stupid government so I would think you would have learned to roll with the punches now. The changes have a very positive side as well, our next round with the visas is the last as we will be able to go permanente this year. This will be a definite money saver even though we're using a facilitator this time whereas we were able to do it with minimal help ourselves last time.

Mexico is not for everyone. Nor do we always just have to roll over and put up with things that we can and should change. For example, look at the level of police protection we have here, most Mexicans would be jealous. That is because folks, both expat and Mexican, stood up and pushed the authorities for better protection. Look at how clean and graffiti free our north side of the lake towns are. That is because expats and Mexicans got together and did something about it. Now many folks feel safe to paint the outside of their properties and do beautiful murals.

Look at all the good done by the local animal rescue volunteers. The Maine Coon you see in my avatar, a joy to my wife and I, is a result of those efforts. Yes, the Mexican culture does not value pets the way we all do but those volunteers have been able to effect some change in that culture locally and help many animals who would otherwise perish.

Look at all the expat participation and help for local orphanages and family assistance causes. Again, rather than just say "that's the way it is" some folks have made a huge difference in the lives of the less fortunate here.

There are some things we can't change and some things we can improve on. The trick is knowing the former and getting off our duffs and making things happen on the latter. This activity is one of the most satisfying things about living here.

I have been here for years and yes this is the time when snowbirds start to leave. And is so doing, many have never experienced the wonder and transformation of the mountains which within 3/4 days of the start of the rainy season (June), the trees begin to once again turn lush green.

And since November, 2012 with the new immigration laws, sadly many have left or are in the process of leaving for good. Yesterday I learned from a reliable Realtor source, that some 1,500 properties are now listed for sale, about 1,000 more than in October, 2012.

I am preparing a report on the negative impacts of these changes and have received many emails about what is happening to people's lives at Lakeside and as well a number from as far away as the Yucatan. My report will be submitted by me and another person, directly to the jefe of Immigracion in Guadalajara, as well as another significant organization in the city. As well, the person who asked me to write this report has direct connections to Presidente Nieto's office, so it is my hope and expectation it will be presented there as well.

If you know of anyone who has been negatively impacted by the new laws and regulations and are deciding to give up on living here, I will appreciate your support in having them write to me with as much detail as possible. I would also like to hear from someone who has been told by Immigracion they must leave because they do not qualify for either of the new Visas.

To let you know, because of Mexican Privacy Laws, I will not be including any personal information, names, etc. in my report. I am taking the position in writing this report that if the Government needs to verify the information, they have the resources to do their own investigation.

I anticipate our meetings in Guadalajara will be occurring very shortly and therefore hope with your support, I will be able to add many more email reports in the next 5 days. Please have persons write to me at: bfoster100@hotmail.com

Mexguy or bfoster100@hotmail. This is an admirable thing that you're doing...however...who are you?

Call me paranoid, but I would hesitate to give anyone personal information that will be given to 'higher powers' unless we were meeting face to face.

If I were to "give up living here' as you wrote, I think I would see a lawyer about anything negative that impacted my decision.

Can you give some more information about yourself please, you are still anonymous to anyone reading this.

Mexguy, your report will have more credibility if you address it to Presidente Peña. There is no president named Nieto.

For someone who has been here for years they should have gone through the experience several times at least of them trying to put your middle name on forms and documents as your apedillido and your last name as the maternal name and you explaining you do not use maternal last names where you come from and only paternal last names are on your passport and INM document.

You would also have to explain second first names are common in your country, like Jose Luis is used here. Then it would be obvious Mexican names only use the paternal [apedillido [surname]] name not the maternal last name to identify who they are refering to. Alan

Mainecoons--

I am responding to your post, but I don't want to take the space quoting it. I applaud the efforts made by ex pats to make some positive changes, like so many you describe. I tend to see my fellow foreigners as representatives of their native countries and Mexico, IMO, is fortunate to have them. It is embedded in the US, but also western culture in general that an individual can make a difference, along with the belief they can stem from poverty and improve their lives.

The efforts made by ex pats Iin this community has a value at the grass roots level sharing that belief that they can makes changes to improve the the quality of life. Foreigners also recognize there is tremendous human potential that is lost due to poverty and ma y sponsor young people in higher educations. If we can bring anything to this country while we are here, it is hope and spreading the dream, the possibility.

I am a US native, and I believe it is a great country, and except some it's greatness has been dimished over time. I look at the keyboard and reminded of Intel, for it's microprocessor, IBM for it's PC development, Gates for his programming genius and windows,

Steve jobs for his graphics, and the IPhone, and Google for giving us easy informational access, and the country that encouraged the dream and made it possible. If we can share the idea that dreams can come true and people make a difference here in Mexico through our example, that is a great gift.

For someone who has been here for years they should have gone through the experience several times at least of them trying to put your middle name on forms and documents as your apedillido and your last name as the maternal name and you explaining you do not use maternal last names where you come from and only paternal last names are on your passport and INM document.

You would also have to explain second first names are common in your country, like Jose Luis is used here. Then it would be obvious Mexican names only use the paternal [apedillido [surname]] name not the maternal last name to identify who they are refering to. Alan

The Mexican's last name (APELLIDO) is the official last name. Our Delegado is Hector España Ramos. He is known as Héctor España, NOT Hector Ramos. To further identify his family roots, his mother's last name is added. His mother's name was Julia Ramos AND another apellido that I don't recall. When women marry here, they do not take their husband's last name. There is an exception to that but I will skip it.

I have heard of many who left or are leaving because of the new financials. A number of those people are people who have lived here for many years.

That's so sad, since if they have lived here for many years, they have no requirement to show their financials. How could people who have lived here for "many years" not check out what finally came down, which is NO financial check. I just don't believe your statement, because if it is true, there are a lot of really stupid people who just left Mexico for no reason except ignorant fear. If you are right, it is ridiculous. If you are wrong, then you are just adding to the hysteria. Calm down, friends, it will all be OK in the end. Even your car made in Japan (like our car made in Japan) will be OK if you seek out and follow the new rules (and temporary exceptions to those rules).

That's so sad, since if they have lived here for many years, they have no requirement to show their financials. How could people who have lived here for "many years" not check out what finally came down, which is NO financial check. I just don't believe your statement, because if it is true, there are a lot of really stupid people who just left Mexico for no reason except ignorant fear. If you are right, it is ridiculous. If you are wrong, then you are just adding to the hysteria. Calm down, friends, it will all be OK in the end. Even your car made in Japan (like our car made in Japan) will be OK if you seek out and follow the new rules (and temporary exceptions to those rules).

You could not have said it better. Panic is the worst guide. As we see now, even people who have one and two years on FM2, will have their FM3 years added. That is fair. Common sense finally prevailed. It takes time sometimes, but that's Mexico . . . what else can be said?

Archived