Chapala.com Webboard

Take 2 on plan B move NOB

Some of you will recall that a couple years ago I started mentioning that we had put a "Plan B" in place in case the day came when we decided to leave Mexico. About a year ago we started making tentative plans to move NOB. We had thought of living on a boat but opted to buy a house instead and are now living in Cape Coral, Florida.

We left Riberas late morning last Thursday for Cape Coral. We were driving a pickup with a camper mounted on it and pulling a 7x16 foot trailer. We spent that night in a great truck stop with a Pemex, Subway, convenience store and even showers ($30 pesos) just south of Matehuala. The next day we got out of Mexico with no problems. We turned in the imported vehicle sticker and got our receipt at the booth at International Bridge II in Laredo and then spent about 30 minutes waiting our turn at customs on the US side. We had to have the vehicles x-rayed to check for weapons and then we were on our way. It took us three nights and four days (the last one being a really long day and part of the night) to get to our new home.

We had four dogs and a cat with us so that slowed us down quite a bit as did putting the camper top up and down and getting ready in the nights and mornings. We were lucky to have no mechanical, cop or weather problems. We passed a couple Federale inspection stations on both sides of the road but were never stopped. Also, there was a caravan of just three trucks with armed, kevlar-vested men in the beds of the trucks in Tamaulipas. The trucked had the words "Civil Proteccion" on them. I'm not sure I ever saw these before.

We were using a Garmin GPS which I thought was updated but in spite of that we did miss a couple cutoffs and turns in Mexico which we quickly resolved, maybe through sheer luck again.

If anybody wants more info about this route (as best as we can remember it) we'll be glad to tell you what we know.

We will miss Mexico, which has been our home on and off (mostly on) for the past twenty years, the last nine of which were spent along Lake Chapala. To say the least, the best part of Mexico for us has been our incredible and enduring friendships with ex-pats and Mexicans alike. Thanks to all of you who befriended us in person and online.

Linda and Bill

thank you for your plan B guidance

I would like to now much higher your budget to live in Cape Coral is,

I understand it can be very humid in Florida.

would appreciate hearing your expenses in now.

what is your yearly expense's to maintain your home in Cape Coral, Florida.

I glad you mentioned friendships, that's what keeps us here,

Of course, we don't yet know what our expenses will look like since we just arrived. There will be tradeoffs. For example, car repair will cost much more as will computer repair. Property taxes will be less since we don't pay any here since Bill is a disabled vet. Home owners insurance is much more. Car insurance seems the same for better coverage. Until we get the solar panels to heat the pool with electricity will be the same or more. Groceries should be a bit less since I will be getting American products at on sale prices instead of paying Superlake prices. (I can be a very careful shopper here.) Veternary care will be more. So who knows how it will level out. I have the feeling we will do okay with sales and thrift shops here. Hope so!

I am so happy to hear you had a safe return and thank you for sharing the experience. It warmed my heart to read you made this difficult trip with your companions, four dogs and a cat. Best to you both back in the US. I wish I had known you but, who knows, maybe our paths will cross NOB.

The friendliness of the people reminds me of so many people along the lake, warm and welcoming. Our neighbors have been fantastic and we already have made friends who will help us empty the trailer this Saturday. We like the Cape a lot and were able to get a house on a canal so Bill can have a boat to toodle around in. I know this is a great new adventure for us and our lives have both been full of them!

You all are to be acknowledged for doing the hard thing and taking your pets with you. We're sorry that you had to leave and wish you the best in Cape Coral.

BTW, I did a lot of the design work on the original sewage treatment plant there. I thought Cape Coral was pretty neat, I liked how you could park your boat out the back door.

:)

The friendliness of the people reminds me of so many people along the lake, warm and welcoming. Our neighbors have been fantastic and we already have made friends who will help us empty the trailer this Saturday. We like the Cape a lot and were able to get a house on a canal so Bill can have a boat to toodle around in. I know this is a great new adventure for us and our lives have both been full of them!
my ex and I almost moved to Cape Coral back in the '80s. Decided to get rid of him instead . Thought the area was great with all the canals. Best of luck.

I sent a pm to the OP and checked today because I didn't get a response . . . this after I was unable to send a second pm with my e-mail. Now I see a msg that says OP has not read my msg but also that the OP is "blocked." What the heck does this mean?

Archived