Chapala.com Webboard

Dish Network, about to open an account

Lexy

It violates Mexican law if Dish USA is selling its product in Mexico. If someone is paying Dish USA for programming and Dish is aware the customer is in Mexico, Dish violates MX law. It has nothing to do with terms of service.

You write it is not illegal and then write it is illegal for "northern companies" whatever that means, to sell programming SOB. That makes no sense.

The point of this originally was that to pirate a Dish USA signal is not illegal in Mexico because the signal cannot be legally bought in Mexico and since it cannot be bought in Mexico it cannot be illegal to receive and not pay for the signal One reason Dish moved its satellites was because of the MX court decision.

You are still bringing in Telecom equipment that is not certified in Mexico and that is against the law.

You are still bringing in Telecom equipment that is not certified in Mexico and that is against the law.

It's not illegal to bring a ham radio here, a TV a receiver etc. Now before I could use my ham radio, I needed a license, but if I only listened or watched and did not communicate back it was not against the law, and I did not need a license. Oh yes in 1982 or so when persons started bringing down satellite receivers some folks thought it was illegal. And satellite dealers have been raided.

The last raid I remember was about 8 years ago. The feds didn't care about the receivers antennas etc, they were only trying to determine if the dealer was selling subscriptions.

He wasn't so he was breaking no law. This firm is still selling equipment only and they are not breaking any Mexican law.

Well did you pay duty and taxes on your sat receiver or ham radio when you came in the country with it? Either piece is not on the list of

allowed duty free stuff. No one cares in either country but in some countries bringing in a Sat receiver can put you in Jail. No sense of

justice or humor in Iran for example. Mexico come on down. I bought a whole suitcase of computer gear last time and was the only person that day in Guad who paid duty voluntarily. They shook my hand for being honest. We all break the law in Mexico all the time myself included. Yea no big deal I am sure things like this go back and forth all the time across the border.

Did you ever get your Ham ticket and if you did was it a test or just paperwork down here?

I flew to and from Mexico about 4 times per year. I would declare everything and if I was over the (I think $300 US value) I had to pay

However as long as what I brought down didn't total $300, I didn't have to pay. Remember, your used electronics don't cost that much. I think the most I ever had to pay was about $500 pesos. That is when I brought several items down at a time one of which was the new C Band 4DTV receiver (no the 4D in 4DTV has nothing to do with a 3DTV) I still have my 4DTV receiver just because it has such a cool name. No I do not have it hooked up.

We had a large ham radio club down here at the LCS before cell phones were popular. Most of us were licensed up north. My call sign was KD7ION. Many of us also paid a fee down here to be properly licensed down here as well, (Many didn't bother) And if you had a US license you only had to pay something like $73 US. I don't remember or know what is/was required if you did not have a US or other foreign license

Most people buy the equipment in Mexico from places like CP Electronics. Why do you assume anything is brought in without it being "certified," whatever that means? To use a pirate system, people use FTA receivers, not Dish receivers but Dish receivers are available in Mexico. How Dish receivers are purchased in the U.S. and brought to Mexico, I do not know, but Dish equipment cannot be legally sold nor purchased in Mexico because by law, Dish is not available in Mexico.

It is not illegal to purchase receivers that can pick up anything in the sky, here in Mexico. Now if we were in Cuba or North Korea it probably would be illegal. However, I understand that were someone to sell the satellite, satellite receiver, LNB, PLUS PROGRAMMING from another country that the fact that they are selling programming from another country is usually frowned upon here.

But selling receivers that can be pointed at any satellite be the receiver labeled DISH, Shaw etc. isn't illegal. If it were illegal many many persons would be in jail. Heck satellite dealers have been selling satellite systems that can be used to point at any satellite up there since the mid 1980s be it scrambled or not scrambled. And I repeat, selling receivers regardless what they are labeled is not illegal.

Where do you get this? Dealers sell satellite receivers and other equipment here in Mexico. People buy the equipment from the dealers. Nobody is bringing in equipment that is not certified in Mexico nor does it need to be certified anymore than a TV or radio needs to be certified. Quit with this certification stuff because you don't know what you are talking about.

It is not illegal to purchase receivers that can pick up anything in the sky, here in Mexico. Now if we were in Cuba or North Korea it probably would be illegal. However, I understand that were someone to sell the satellite, satellite receiver, LNB, PLUS PROGRAMMING from another country that the fact that they are selling programming from another country is usually frowned upon here.

But selling receivers that can be pointed at any satellite be the receiver labeled DISH, Shaw etc. isn't illegal. If it were illegal many many persons would be in jail. Heck satellite dealers have been selling satellite systems that can be used to point at any satellite up there since the mid 1980s be it scrambled or not scrambled. And I repeat, selling receivers regardless what they are labeled is not illegal.

Dish was told by a Mexican court when Dish sued a dealer who was selling pirated Dish programming and equipment that the dealer can sell the pirated programming and equipment but the dealer cannot advertise it was Dish programming because that is a copyright infringement. Pirating Dish programming in Mexico is not illegal but stating it is Dish, is illegal.

Archived