Chapala.com Webboard

Dish Network, about to open an account

Lexy

We are about to open a new Dish Network account, using Satellite & Electronics, Roberto del Villar. He's been reliable and knowledgeable on other TV problems, hook-ups, etc.

He tells me I will require new equipment: $250 USD plus $50. His charge is 500 pesos to hook it up.

The programming I choose will be billed to my Am/Ex credit card. I want the US networks, HBO, the usual choices like Cspan. I hope to get PBS.

Does all this sound reasonable, in your experience? I'd be glad to have any guidance.

Lexy

We got Dish in Dec. 2011 from the Telmex Servicios de Clientes office . They installed the dish and reciever for no charge in 10 days and got 3 months free HD movie channels including some non HD like BBC, CNN USA etc.. We get billed on our Telmex account at $249.00 pesos per month for Paquete Basico HD and because we have automatic bill pay from our bank account we get a $29.00 pesos discount = $220.00 [early payment discount]. We signed a 2 year contract to get this deal. Alan

We are about to open a new Dish Network account, using Satellite & Electronics, Roberto del Villar. He's been reliable and knowledgeable on other TV problems, hook-ups, etc.

He tells me I will require new equipment: $250 USD plus $50. His charge is 500 pesos to hook it up.

The programming I choose will be billed to my Am/Ex credit card. I want the US networks, HBO, the usual choices like Cspan. I hope to get PBS.

Does all this sound reasonable, in your experience? I'd be glad to have any guidance.

Lexy

What do you mean new equipment? Satellite box (which one), antenna, what size? They have 6 foot and 8 foot diameter antennas. I have 8 foot.and a DVR box so I can record while watching another channel.

What do you mean new equipment? Satellite box (which one), antenna, what size? They have 6 foot and 8 foot diameter antennas. I have 8 foot.and a DVR box so I can record while watching another channel.

I mean the DVD box which I'd pay $250 USD for. I got the 8ft antennas from CP electronics some time ago.

Lexy

It sounds like Lexie wants Dish USA, which does not serve Mexico.

The local option, mentioned by the other two posters, appears to be Dish Mexico, which is available locally.

Didh USA and Dish Mexico are 2 different things you realize. Obviously the poster is asking about Dish USA. Did you compare price with CP Electonics?

We got Dish in Dec. 2011 from the Telmex Servicios de Clientes office . They installed the dish and reciever for no charge in 10 days and got 3 months free HD movie channels including some non HD like BBC, CNN USA etc.. We get billed on our Telmex account at $249.00 pesos per month for Paquete Basico HD and because we have automatic bill pay from our bank account we get a $29.00 pesos discount = $220.00 [early payment discount]. We signed a 2 year contract to get this deal. Alan

Alan--Thank you for this info. I am PMing you.

Lexy

Folks, if you are new to the scene. Be careful. DISH Mexico is very very different that what you can pick up DISH USA.

First DISH Mexico is meant for the Spanish speaking customer, and does have a few English programs and needs a regular smaller satellite dish. (But most channels are in Spanish)

Yes from lakeside, you can get some programming with an oversized satellite dish or two from the US from both DirecTV US and from DISH network USA. If you are into HD the most US programming comes from DirecTV USA.

There is also another option that is www.shawdirect.ca (a Canadian system) where one needs a 39.5 inch by 26.5 in satellite dish this far south which has the US network stations from Seattle or Spokane for West Coast feeds and Detroit for East coast feeds. Shaw Direct is meant for us snowbirds who head south every winter but own property and have an account in Canada.

Also DISH US and DirecTV US are meant only for persons living in the US. That said, there are many who have found a way around this and subscribe anyway.

Oh. And if you are interested in Mexican TV, don't forget Sky satellite and/or Telecable. Remember Telecable has both old fashioned analog TV (Channels 2 through 75) and the newer digital TV (Channels 100 through 999) They even have HD channels to include CNN a few movie channels and apparently soon the Playboy channel in HD

Didh USA and Dish Mexico are 2 different things you realize. Obviously the poster is asking about Dish USA. Did you compare price with CP Electonics?

You do not want Dish Mexico. It has very few English language stations. Sky has better programming than Dish Mexico and Telecable has better programming than Sky or Dish MX.

to the OP

Dish is now requiring that the (installer of record certify that you have the newest equipment- which is now all DVR) I went thru this when I moved several months ago - I pay directly thru my Visa USA acct also- Dish USA wanted to send an installer out to my house to check equipment and CP Elec had to call Dish Directly and was able to certify I had a new Dish Dvr which I had bought in the US and no need for DISH INSTALLER TO GO OUT.

Best to check if the local guy is capable of doing that might better to go back to Charles at CP.

I mean the DVD box which I'd pay $250 USD for. I got the 8ft antennas from CP electronics some time ago.

Lexy

That sounds cheap for a box. Must be the regular box, not the DVR.

I still don't consider DISH Network anything to write home about concerning clarity. Especially for the exhorbitant price!!! We have most all movie channels, monthly cost $ 117.85 a month.

to the OP

Dish is now requiring that the (installer of record certify that you have the newest equipment- which is now all DVR) I went thru this when I moved several months ago - I pay directly thru my Visa USA acct also- Dish USA wanted to send an installer out to my house to check equipment and CP Elec had to call Dish Directly and was able to certify I had a new Dish Dvr which I had bought in the US and no need for DISH INSTALLER TO GO OUT.

Best to check if the local guy is capable of doing that might better to go back to Charles at CP.

How is Dish going to make someone in Mexico certify anything? Dish USA programming cannot be sold in Mexico and people are not supposed to receive the signal in Mexico. Dish already lost a case suing a vendor who was selling pirate Dish and the judge ruled in the pirate's favor because Dish cannot be sold in Mexico.

What the person needs to do is get a pirate system. Get the full Dish USA programming for about $20 USD a month. CP and others can tell the person about it.

How is Dish going to make someone in Mexico certify anything? Dish USA programming cannot be sold in Mexico and people are not supposed to receive the signal in Mexico. Dish already lost a case suing a vendor who was selling pirate Dish and the judge ruled in the pirate's favor because Dish cannot be sold in Mexico.

What the person needs to do is get a pirate system. Get the full Dish USA programming for about $20 USD a month. CP and others can tell the person about it.

You can't get anything for $ 20 a month even in the US. I believe mini packages, no movie channels start at $ 40.

Thank you all for your comments, advice and guidance. CP Electronics in Guadalajara and our local Satellite & Electronics guy, Roberto, have both told me how to they can begin a set-up of Dish Network USA. I will need to buy the newest equipment as I mentioned on my original post for $250 USD and which is, I guess, the DVR (no longer DVD) that Privado mentioned.

Thanks for all the input which helped a lot.

Lexy

You can't get anything for $ 20 a month even in the US. I believe mini packages, no movie channels start at $ 40.

Do you have a clue about what "pirate" means? The pirate is not paying Dish but paying the service that has cracked the Dish signal. For $20 one can get everything Dish offers including all its Pay for View for free. Before the security codes changed there wasn't a charge for a pirated signal.

Do you have a clue about what "pirate" means? The pirate is not paying Dish but paying the service that has cracked the Dish signal. For $20 one can get everything Dish offers including all its Pay for View for free. Before the security codes changed there wasn't a charge for a pirated signal.

Well, I guess I have LEGAL DISH in Mexico because I'm paying a very high price for it. And those who pirate are Law breakers.

Well, I guess I have LEGAL DISH in Mexico because I'm paying a very high price for it. And those who pirate are Law breakers.

You cannot have legal Dish USA programming in Mexico because it is illegal to receive a Dish USA signal and illegal for Dish to accept your money if Dish knows you are in Mexico. I though I wrote earlier that a Mexican court ruled that Dish USA cannot sue people who pirate a Dish signal in Mexico because Dish is not allowed to be sold in Mexico. If you call Dish USA and tell them you are in Mexico, they are required to zap your receiver making it unusable.

Funny that you are a law breaker, paying a high price to be a law breaker and proud of it. Good for you.

The same legal status applies for all Shaw Canadian dish folks.

It is all illegal. Now that the elephant is out of the closet for

all to see. Do you think anyone cares?? I doubt it. Enjoy your

programming and move on. Only Dish Mexico and Sky Mexico are legal

here by the book. If it bothers you to break the law purchase one

of those sat. services legal in Mexico or Telecable cable service.

Otherwise don't worry about it and lets talk about the weather.

It's not "illegal," it simply violates the terms of service of the provider. It is illegal for the northern companies to "sell" their programming SOB.

It probably violates many Mexican laws. I can think of two off the top of my head

without trying too hard. Have you ever legally exported telecom equipment to mexico?

You should have seen the paperwork when I wanted to bring a piece of electronics from

PNW to Guad to the factory.

But back to the point no one cares if you bring your sat receiver to mexico. However

that does not make it legal.

Shaw Direct (then Star Choice) has been viewable with a smaller Dish in the US Mexico and much of Central America since Feb 21, 2001.

In the winter of 2002-3 I traveled to Antiqua Guatemala with my Star Choice receiver and satellite dish, and because in those days I did not have a laptop, I phoned Star Choice for dish pointing instructions. They knew I was a snowbird traveling south of not the but several borders. They were happy to help me and asked if I would call back with signal strength results. I had later also mentioned that I come to Lake Chapala during the winter. They again didn't mind.

Another time when I was up north, I was talking to either Star Choice or Shaw Direct and they asked if I could get in front of all of my receivers (3). I said no, but it didn't matter if they turned off the receiver in Mexico as I wasn't there. Again no problem.

I think what upsets Shaw Direct is when folks stack or share receivers with others rather than for just You (to include the wife or kids in another room)

I think it would bother them if I only lived out of country

It's not "illegal," it simply violates the terms of service of the provider. It is illegal for the northern companies to "sell" their programming SOB.

It violates Mexican law if Dish USA is selling its product in Mexico. If someone is paying Dish USA for programming and Dish is aware the customer is in Mexico, Dish violates MX law. It has nothing to do with terms of service.

You write it is not illegal and then write it is illegal for "northern companies" whatever that means, to sell programming SOB. That makes no sense.

The point of this originally was that to pirate a Dish USA signal is not illegal in Mexico because the signal cannot be legally bought in Mexico and since it cannot be bought in Mexico it cannot be illegal to receive and not pay for the signal One reason Dish moved its satellites was because of the MX court decision.

Shaw Direct (then Star Choice) has been viewable with a smaller Dish in the US Mexico and much of Central America since Feb 21, 2001.

In the winter of 2002-3 I traveled to Antiqua Guatemala with my Star Choice receiver and satellite dish, and because in those days I did not have a laptop, I phoned Star Choice for dish pointing instructions. They knew I was a snowbird traveling south of not the but several borders. They were happy to help me and asked if I would call back with signal strength results. I had later also mentioned that I come to Lake Chapala during the winter. They again didn't mind.

Another time when I was up north, I was talking to either Star Choice or Shaw Direct and they asked if I could get in front of all of my receivers (3). I said no, but it didn't matter if they turned off the receiver in Mexico as I wasn't there. Again no problem.

I think what upsets Shaw Direct is when folks stack or share receivers with others rather than for just You (to include the wife or kids in another room)

I think it would bother them if I only lived out of country

I thought Shaw always allowed snow birds to receive a signal outside of Canada then rescinded that policy a few years ago but grandfathered in previous customers. Dish USA began a similar service allowing people to travel and receive the signal outside the U.S. as long as it isn't permanent.

Archived