Chapala.com Webboard

Popular Lawyers Lakeside

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So tell us what happened? Was it using her as a Facilitator or a Lawyer?

I think that is the interesting question: why was OneMexicoexpat asking for and expecting Azucena Bateman to supply her credentials by email? Just idle curiosity? When Bateman did not, EXpat tells us here to "draw you own conclusions." (See her second posting re. her exchange of emails with Bateman.)

Good for Spencer to speak in Bateman's behalf and tell us what her clients already know: she is an accredited attorney.

Lexy

Went to Veronica at Roma Property Management to see if she could help us with getting a temporal. She phoned a young lawyer in the downtown Ajijic area who took our paperwork (we provided financials). Veronica translated for us (I think the lawyer understands English but is shy about speaking.) I don't remember the timing, but it was fast! Suddenly, I needed to go NOB and the lawyer pronto came up with the paperwork that let me out and back in the country. Then we did fingerprints and then got a call that our cards were ready (they're GREEN.)

I don't think the whole process took much more than a month. They lawyer's fee seemed reasonable to us. Really painless procedure.

It's a great service that Roma provided, especially for folks live in the village.

Joco - the issue is not whether a particular lawyer is a good one. The issue is whether they know enough about Mexican law to be qualified to advise anyone. Having a cedula is just the foundation. You would want someone who calls themselves a doctor to have an MD certificate, wouldn't you? That doesn't mean he or she is a good doctor. It means he or she has earned the right to call him/herself a doctor.

The issue is you do not understand what it takes to practice law in Mexico. When one leaves law school, he practices under a lawyer's supervision for a few years taking tests until he is accredited. Mexico does not have agencies like State Bars that grant licenses to lawyers.

There are many excellent lawyers who do not have a license like you expect. Up until the 60's a person in Texas could take the State Bar exam, pass it and practice law without ever attending law school. Abraham Lincoln was a very successful corporate lawyer but had one semester of formal education.

Personally if I hire an attorney, I'm more interested in winning than how many degrees and licenses the person has. In Mexico the lawyer is not going to have a license like in the U.S. and he can practice without a cedula profesional because he can practice under the cedula profesional of another attorney.

I won't recommend a doctor who doesn't have a license, and I won't recommend a lawyer who doesn't have one. That's just me. To each their own.

Since they don't have licenses in Mexico, good luck finding a doctor or a lawyer. You might be happier back up North where they follow all the rules you think are important. Mexico is not going to have licenses like you want and expect. Real estate agents and brokers do not have licenses, hair dressers do not have licenses, labs do not have licenses, restaurants do not have licenses, etc. Good luck finding any profession with a license.

for example, lets pretend i am a lawyer here in ajijic (or any where). if an stranger emailed me for my registration #, i would not even answer the email. everyone knows about phishing scams. bateman did the right thing. personally i would have blocked "onemexicoexpat" & not even offered to see her for an appt. the email was inappropiate, in any country.

There is no licensing system in Mexico like the US except a cedula which means the person met the educational requirements and is able to practice after doing their studies, community service and professional exams.

After obtaining the initial cedula the person, an attorney for example, can be a plumber for the next 20 years and maybe rip people off and then decide to practice law again. There is little to no supervision and no continuing education requirements, most good professionals have postgraduate degrees and coursework to keep updated. Few in the Chapala area do as Guadalajara is like the moon, a far away place.

While a cedula is no guarantee of competence, it does mean the person may practice which means their signature will be accepted in the courts or government offices, without a cedula they cannot practice which means they need to pay another with a cedula and are really a coyote and cannot legally do any work.

I won't recommend a doctor who doesn't have a license, and I won't recommend a lawyer who doesn't have one. That's just me. To each their own.

Sorry, Onemexico, but you're not paying attention to Bennie, Joco, Ginger and me. Your original post implied that if Bateman didn't give you her credo #, perhaps it was because she didn't have one. Then we learn from you that your exchange with Bateman was all by email and Bateman simply stopped responding to you, quite sensibly. This exchange got started by your implication about Bateman.

Spencer has informed you that Bateman has her credentials. So why not drop it?

When you started this thread you simply wanted attorney recommendations. Let's keep it on point.

Lexy

I do, too. And it makes me wonder how long OneMexicoexpat has lived in this country.

According to her website: "Lisa L. Jorgensen moved to Lake Chapala in the spring of 2012 from the U.S. Her challenges and discoveries in making that move have formed the basis of her writings: providing helpful information and advice for other ex-patriate newcomers. She is the author of the book Moving to Mexico's Lake Chapala, and she is the publisher and editor of the magazine Mexico Expat Press.

She was born in Denmark, spent most of her life in the U.S. as a corporate professional and business owner, has two grown daughters living in California, and now lives and writes in Ajijic on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico."

gee, "onemexicoexpat"- "you" recommend? (wernt you the one who originally asked for guidence)? yes, spencer is one of the best, i have used him several times. you are very new here. i dont mean to be rude, but after this thread people may not rely on you. i also suggest (unsoliticed) that you learn about mexico, how the systems work, or dont work, before you advertise an informational on line magazine.

I noticed that "onemexicoexpat" is solicitating answers on various topics on this webbord for to her online advisory magazine?

But at least she is actually living here not like some other people who come for couple of days, talk to couple of real estate people and write their " educated" article in one of these "living cheap abroad" magazines . Like in 2004 and 2005.

Bennie, Joco, Ginger: Wow, is all I can say.

Thanks, Spencer - as a voice of reason. I do recommend Spencer, by the way. :)

You recommend Spencer because Spencer has represented you with how many cases? Most people know Spencer through his work with INM. I think he has stated he uses other attorneys for court cases. Funny that someone who has been here for 20 minutes is an expert on who to recommend and knows all about licenses that don't exist here.

I recommend lawyers who win. I don't care if they are accredited or not. Here accreditation is not the same as up North. I don't care how many degrees a doctor has if I hear nothing but complaints about him, I won't recommend him.

If a doctor kills and maims enough people he can be criminally prosecuted. There is not State Board of Medicine to complain to so it will yank his license. The same with lawyers. There is no one you can file complaints with unless the lawyer commits a criminal act and then the chances of prosecution are slim and none and he will continue to practice law.

islander, 1) its ALL bs. yes people come here for 2 days & write articals. yadayadda paradise cheap adventure live $5 day tranquil gentle locals charities festivals adventure emergancy care assisted living adventure homenursing backpack walmart adventure bars clubs homevisits celebrate. 2) others go on boards for opinions & then want to charge people to access the info. (now thanks to this forum, she can write an artical about lawyers). ALL info about lakeside is free. anyone can go to google, there it is. from the bs, to the brilliant. forums are free, there are dozens of real experiences. lists are abundant, & updated. ok, the guad reporter wants $18usd per year. i prefer to read the forums, or buy it for like $1.25 usd if there is something i must see. in general most articals are accessable. for a "suscriber" websight to succeed, it must be exceptional, AND sell ad space.

According to her website: "Lisa L. Jorgensen moved to Lake Chapala in the spring of 2012 from the U.S. Her challenges and discoveries in making that move have formed the basis of her writings: providing helpful information and advice for other ex-patriate newcomers. She is the author of the book Moving to Mexico's Lake Chapala, and she is the publisher and editor of the magazine Mexico Expat Press.

She was born in Denmark, spent most of her life in the U.S. as a corporate professional and business owner, has two grown daughters living in California, and now lives and writes in Ajijic on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico."

Sounds like one smart cookie to me. I am sure there are a lot of people who thought: Geez, why didn't I think of that!!

"bigd", i meant to address my post #48 to "islander" (sorry). "valgal" how is this a smart cookie if she already has acted foolishly on a forum viewed by hundreds of expats? many who are not new comers, & can teach her a thing or 2. zillions of retirees all over mexico do sites, print thier own books. not an original concept. yabba yabba.

Archived