Popular Lawyers Lakeside

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Azucena Bateman (Campos)

Ocampo #30, Ajijic

766 1654

legalabc@yahoo.com.mx

She's smart, quick, reliable, fair-priced. Fluent English. Better than anyone else I've been to in my years here.

Lexy

It seems to me that the answer to your question depends upon what you need him for. You wouldn't want a lawyer who specializes in torts to defend you for murder; anymore than you'd want a General Practioner to perform brain surgery on you.

Don´t judge a lawyer by their English skills. Getting a translator is easy, finding a skilled lawyer is hard.

I am saying. I worked with Azucena and she is nice, speaks great English and is honest. My comments are in general, I am a newer attorney, have the best English skills and am honest but do not have years of litigation here under my belt so I am an example, although I have 4 attorneys working for me and they know more than me and thats why I hired them. There is more talent in Guadalajara as far as attorneys go due to demand for excellence there where a few words of English won´t cut it and at a bare minimum most good attorneys have masters degrees

Like all other professions, service providers, etc. -- doctor, lawyer, veterinarian, dentist, mechanic, plumber, electrician -- the list goes on and on, there are always opinions and experiences "pro" and "con".

I to beg to differ with negative report about Carlos Del Toro, who has done excellent work for me and several of my friends.

Plus, I talked with Henri Loridans. He confirmed that he is only licensed to practice law in the US - not licensed to practice law in Mexico.

I'm sure there are many lawyers practicing law in Mexico who are not licensed. Most of them do not need a license. I also haven't seen or heard of Mexico having state boards that enforce ethics or strip lawyers of their licenses. Here I think we have to find out the hard way or by word of mouth about an attorney because you cannot research an attorney with a state board like in the U.S.

Attorneys in the U.S. do not lose their licenses because they lose cases so as a rule if the attorney is winning what you want, who cares?

Sometime ago didn't Spencer offer a list of lawyers who practice law lakeside but are not licensed?

Just FYI - Azucena Bateman is refusing to give me her Cedula #. That's what is used to verify being a licensed lawyer in Mexico. I'm just saying. Draw your own conclusions.

Did you simply ask her, as you did Henri Loridans, if she is licensed?

Henri Loridans doesn't claim or even imply he is licensed. That is why he works with licensed lawyers in his office when one is required.

Lexy

I called her office. The receptionist said she didn't know what her cedula number was. I said that was OK - I would just email her instead and ask. I sent her a nice email asking what her cedula number was. She sent back a very defense response asking who I was and why I wanted to know. She said I should make an appointment with her instead. That was at 1:37. I replied that an appointment wasn't really necessary - that I'd been told that it's a good idea to check a prospective lawyer's cedula number to make sure the lawyer is licensed to practice in Mexico. I then asked again if she would let me know her cedula number. No response. At 3:07, I emailed again and said that since she wasn't responding, I would have to assume she doesn't have a license. I asked her to please advise. No response.

lexie, re read onemexioexpat's post. she said the attorney refused the give the registration #. dont be so quick to answer. anyway, if a mexican lawyer is not licensed, do you think they will tell you? she could have been insulted as well.

I'm sure there are many lawyers practicing law in Mexico who are not licensed. Most of them do not need a license. I also haven't seen or heard of Mexico having state boards that enforce ethics or strip lawyers of their licenses. Here I think we have to find out the hard way or by word of mouth about an attorney because you cannot research an attorney with a state board like in the U.S.

Attorneys in the U.S. do not lose their licenses because they lose cases so as a rule if the attorney is winning what you want, who cares?

Sometime ago didn't Spencer offer a list of lawyers who practice law lakeside but are not licensed?

Joco - the issue is not whether a particular lawyer is a good one. The issue is whether they know enough about Mexican law to be qualified to advise anyone. Having a cedula is just the foundation. You would want someone who calls themselves a doctor to have an MD certificate, wouldn't you? That doesn't mean he or she is a good doctor. It means he or she has earned the right to call him/herself a doctor.

lexie, re read onemexioexpat's post. she said the attorney refused the give the registration #. dont be so quick to answer. anyway, if a mexican lawyer is not licensed, do you think they will tell you? she could have been insulted as well.

Bennie--I asked onemexicopat a question. And her answer is interesting.

Lexy

I worked in a law office with Azucena and know her personally and can attest to the fact that she is an attorney and has her cedula profesional or federal attorney card.

Archived