Chapala.com Webboard

Advice for driving to Chapala from Eagle Pass, going thru Zacatecas on mexico 54 ?

Hello guys, I have family coming down by car and they have already done the Mexico 57, San Luis Potosi, Matehuala route and want to try something different. They plan to cross at Eagle Pass and follow 57 down to Saltillo and then get on 54 that would lead them through Zacatecas then on to Guadalajara and ending in Chapala. I know that many if not most are only familiar with or use the Matehuala route. I have read that the Zacatecas route is more scenic and exciting (hopefully "they" didn't mean by being chased by narcos)

For those that have traveled this route recently, please talk about their experiences and any advice would be greatly accepted. Also, how much of the route is on cuotas? I have read that much of this route is on libres, so how would you rate the roads. How is the danger factor for crossing at Eagle Pass and following this route (of course nobody can really answer this!....but does it feel much scarier? Has there been many incidents of recent "activity" ???) And where would a good halfway point be to find a decent economical hotel close to the main road? Excluding downtown Zacatecas would be nice.

I would appreciate any feedback or advice, thanks in advance!

Asked a Mexican friend here in Guadalajara who has large family in Zacatecas - He states it is extremely dangerous and would never consider driving there.

This is the US GOV Travel Warning for Zacatecas as of NOV 2012

Zacatecas:You should defer non-essential travel to the state of Zacatecas except the city of Zacatecas where you should exercise caution. The regions of the state bordering Durango and Coahuila as well as the cities of Fresnillo and Fresnillo-Sombrete and surrounding area are particularly dangerous. The northwestern portion of the state of Zacatecas has become notably dangerous and insecure. Robberies and carjackings are occurring with increased frequency and both local authorities and residents have reported a surge in observed TCO activity. This area is remote, and local authorities are unable to regularly patrol it or quickly respond to incidents that occur there. Gun battles between criminal groups and authorities occur in the area of the state bordering the state of Jalisco. There have also been reports of roadblocks and false checkpoints on highways between the states of Zacatecas and Jalisco.

I have a friend that drove through Zacatecas many times and he loved the drive and alos mentioned that the road was awesome. I told him not to do it as we also have Mexican friends in Guadalajara that would not speak to us if we would take that route due to high danger.

Anyway my friend never had any problem but does not listen very well. On that, I would not "suggest" to anyone to drive trhough Zacatecas.

The route is attractive and the roads are very good from Laredo, through Zacatecas to Guadalajara. The last bit, approaching Guadalajara, does get hilly and winds along the gorge with spectacular views. When we used this route, years ago, we always enjoyed it and have stayed in Zacatecas, often at Hotel Bosque, or at one of the small towns a couple of hours south of there. The driving was easy and there were no cuotas. Sorry that I do not have more up to date information, but I would drive it again. Zacatecas is a beautiful city at high altitude.

I drove the route from Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras through Saltillo and Zacatecas a little over a year ago and it was fine. The road from Saltillo to Zacatecas was in the final stages of being widened to 4 lanes so it should be even better now.

From Zacatecas to Guadalajara, I prefer to take the cuota through Aguascalientes with a shortcut near Los Altos that cuts off about 25 miles.

Zacatecas is a wonderful city and I'd recommend taking an extra day to visit a couple of very nice museums there.

Thanks again for all the advice and information.......the consulate advisory mentions Fresnillo and the north western areas of the state, mexico 54 doesn't really touch any of that area. My family members drive a small inconspicuous Mexican plated vehicle, although with luck it won't be on the radar of the narcos.....but violence can spring up anywhere. I noticed that those that take this route seem to prefer the Zacatecas Aguascalientes Gdl route vs the stay on 54 Zacatecas to Gdl route.

They say it is because of the cuota, does it save that much time? Or is it a safety issue? I am just trying to get as much information and opinions as possible. Not trying to slide anybody just wanting to get the full scoop!

Thanks again and I hope to get more responses.

Intense cartel activity on the Piedras Negras to Monclova and down to Saltillo this week:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/02/suspect-captured-kombo-kolombia.html

Also around Monclova 2 days ago:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/02/cdg-sneds-message-we-are-here-to-finish.html

Delightful drive, beautiful scenery; maybe someday it will be safe again.

Suggest you take the Nogales cuota roads down. Not senic but a lot safer way and lots of cheap hotels on the way.

Good chance to see Mazatlan beach's. Safety over senic with your family.

Howdy from Texas,

My suggestion would be if this person in not use to travel in Mexico use the eastern route, that should be safer and have more "peace of mind". However, the 54 route is very interesting with abundant desert and little traffic plus not many Pemex Stations .Chances are you won't have any problems but, it is a consideration. Last time I used this route my "peace of mind" was at high alert because of the remote travel.

Zacatacas is beautiful with some excellent food and lounging and some neat shopping with a European feel. I enjoyed it enough that I would like to see it again. The route to the lake is enjoyable and let you see much of the agro and industrial Mexico.

This is my 3 cents.

Have a safe trip on any of the recommendations.

Regards,

martbbq

Suggest you take the Nogales cuota roads down. Not senic but a lot safer way and lots of cheap hotels on the way.

Good chance to see Mazatlan beach's. Safety over senic with your family.

Mazatlan is not safe at the moment, it is beautiful drive did it 2 years ago but I would be checking the News before going out that way.

This topic is a classic! There are people commenting this route basing their opinions on some experience from years ago and others who haven't ever experienced this route are TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE! The fact of the matter is that this route is quite dangerous starting at the border and Zacatecas is a total mess! While I would agree that Zacatecas has a great deal to offer, you couldn't pay me enough to drive through that area right now even though we have driven through there many times. When one even has an inclination to drive through any section of Mexico, it becomes their responsibility to do the "homework" and check the local media and not rely on people who could care less if it doesnt affect them.

It's always good to be safe, but foreigners have hardly ever been the target of narco violence in Mexico. I just got back from a 3000+ mile trip along the coast and inland to Guatemala and back and never felt unsafe for a moment. Be aware of your surroundings, but enjoy the trip and stop fretting about everything you read. It's safer in Mexico than in gun-crazy US.

Uh Howard, ya might want to check those crime statistics before you make that last statement. :)

Dicho, you didn't say where the family members are coming from. Is it possible as an alternative to enter through Pharr Texas?

This is our tried and true route from Dallas, even better for Houston or points east. The Pharr crossing is well traveled and the route now that all the new cuotas are open avoids Reynosa, C. Victoria, San Luis Potosi. The first semi-urban driving you hit is on the ring road around Lagos de Moreno, which is part of the Laredo route as well.

We stay at the Travelodge just over the Texas border with the added new bonus that a big new CostCo opened up right behind it last year, for any last minute shopping. If we leave at 6:30AM (sunrise) we arrive in Ajijic in 10.5 to 11 hours without really pushing it too hard. So you can make the entire jump from the U.S. to lakeside in daylight in one day, easy.

Given the reports from that area and given the recent travel advisory, I agree that your family should probably let discretion be the better part of valor for now and avoid the Zacatecas route.

PM me if you want detailed driving directions for the Pharr to Ajijic route.

Mainecoons, I just found where you had posted back in September the directions, so I just copied and pasted those and sent them to my family.

TomGates, my family has an excellent guia roji atlas and the Garmin GPS with Mexican maps, the problem was that they relied to heavily on the garmin and the garmin led them through every major downtown urban center, San Luis Postosi scared the bejeezus out of them, Monterrey, well they nearly escaped with their sanity......and of course they missed the perifericos y libramientos that would have saved them through those moments of tribulation.

But the advice is good nevertheless.

Everyone I know who has used both the Laredo route and the one I outlined through Pharr has confirmed that latter is cheaper, faster and easier. You do not have to go through any urban areas with the Pharr route until you reach Lagos, and you skirt that whether you enter through Laredo or Pharr. Once you join Mex 57 north of San Luis Potosi, the two routes are the same.

Before you could bypass Reynosa entirely by crossing at Pharr and taking the short bypass cuota to well south of Reynosa, I would agree that Laredo was probably a bit safer. Reynosa is definitely to be avoided, what a damn shame. We remember visiting it in happier times and enjoying the shopping and eating there.

Given what we're hearing about Nuevo Laredo, I wouldn't want to drive through it any more than I would Reynosa. Now, it is not necessary to drive through either.

Going to the U.S., you can make Pharr Texas and decent, much better priced, accomodations there much easier than going all the way to Laredo IMO. If we leave Ajijic just as the sky is lighting up, we make the TravelLodge in Pharr with plenty of daylight to spare.

Coming in the opposite direction, we arrive home with at least an hour of full daylight. Even in the winter. And I do not drive real fast like some do.

Mainecoons, I just found where you had posted back in September the directions, so I just copied and pasted those and sent them to my family.

TomGates, my family has an excellent guia roji atlas and the Garmin GPS with Mexican maps, the problem was that they relied to heavily on the garmin and the garmin led them through every major downtown urban center, San Luis Postosi scared the bejeezus out of them, Monterrey, well they nearly escaped with their sanity......and of course they missed the perifericos y libramientos that would have saved them through those moments of tribulation.

But the advice is good nevertheless.

If their Garmin is taking them through the cites then they are choosing the wrong route options. I have used my Garmin for many years from Laredo to Ajijic and it always takes me on the cuota roads, because that is the way I set it up.

Archived