Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone understand the new Telcel Amigo pay-as-you go "Optimo" and "Plus" programs?

Newbie3

Here:

http://www.telcel.com/portal/personas/amigo/detalles/recarga_amigo.html?mid=1114

If you buy at least 200 pesos of phone credits per month, there's an "Amigo Optimo" plan, where you pay only 1 peso/minute to call landlines and other cell companies. (Though maybe the landlines must be "local", that is, in Guad. Not sure if the cellphones have to be "local" as well -- of which there are very few... seems most of our cells here in Chapala are "long distance" cells based in Guad.

There's also an "Amigo Plus" plan, seems similar to Optimo except you pay 2 pesos/minute

There are some sort of restrictions on who can join these plans. I guess they want to restrict these plans to new or relatively recent customers. If you're a long-time user, it seems you might not be eligible to join either plan, I'm not sure why.

The "Optimo" plan is more restricted than the Amigo Plus plan, to even more recent new users, new since last August, I think. Though if you're new since August 2011, then you can join Optimo if you pay 29 pesos. But it seems if you're an old-timer, you can't join Optimo at all! I don't understand why...

Do you have to buy a new SIM card to become a "new" user? Or are they looking at your name and cellphone internal ID #?

If anyone understands the details of this and how to use it economically, it would be much appreciated.

Yes, that's what I have now.

I found that you can transfer unused credits to another phone (or needy friend) for about a 6% fee. The only catch is that you can't transfer "regalo" (gift) credits, and the credits you do transfer convert to regalo credits on the recipient's phone (i.e., the credits can only be used for calling Telcel phones), nor do they extend the validity period of the recipient's phone.

Details here.

THREAD HIJACK ALERT FOR AN OBSERVATION!

In the USA, I was tied to my Blackberry at the hip. I never comprehended that I could exist without it. Leaving it home one day meant I felt naked, and not in a good way. Yes, I am retired down here, but even at that, I do not feel as naked as I did. We have a basic cell phone here, nothing fancy, just for making calls, which so far in the 3-weeks we've been here have made none, and receive calls, again, same thing. I find that I do not miss the Blackberry and find a bit of freedom by not having access from everyone at any time. I am not an anti-techno, I love it, but like so many things that change...it is a nice thing, so far. But who knows what the future holds?

RETURN TO TOPIC - sorry about the hijack :huh:

I carry my mini computer with me that has all kinds of apps for checking the stock market, a map showing where I am, a compass, a calculator, camera, email, you name it. It can also make phone calls. But that is only about 2% of its use in my case. They call it an iPhone.

Archived