Chapala.com Webboard

Delay in receiving new immigration card

Yarboro

My FM3 expired on December 12, precisely when the new immigration laws came into effect. I began application for the new temporary resident card on the earliest possible date, November 12. Everything seemed to move quite smoothly right up to the point I had all my fingers printed, just before the Christmas Hoiliday period. Since then, nada.

I understnad all documents have to go to Mexico for approval but there is no word when they will return. Has anyone in Lakeside received an immigration card since the new laws came into effect?

To add insult to injury, I have to leave Mexico on January 29 and if my card isn't through by then I will have to pay around $350 pesos to get an "official" letter stating the my application is being processed!

Myself and two other friends are in the same boat, but you are actually further through the process than the rest of us. I am getting the letter that will permit me to leave the country and return, without compromising the application process. I was advised to have my request in, for the letter, at least one week before. My lawyer preferred two weeks as she said they are quite behind in getting things done. It will suck to pay the 350 pesos and then have the card arrive before you leave. Better to be safe than sorry though.

It took me 2 months to receive my FM3 of which I applied for in August (I applied a month early). I appled through Spencer's office and applied early as I needed to get a drivers license and need to go to California to take care of some business. Spencer's office did what they could but to no avail. I think my number lesson is don't bother applying early as your application gets shuffled to the bottom of the pile so as to accomadate those who need their documents sooner, which I do understand. So the rest of the story is I went to California to take care of business and renewed my CA driver's license there rather than getting a Mexican license.

Our permanente application was approved on December 17 so we went into Guadalajara on the 18th for fingerprinting. That was one day before the office closed for Christmas. Since then the only change in the tramite site is a new status saying that our payment had been received. That was on January 10.

One of the clerks in the Guadalajara office said to expect the card in mid-February but until someone posts that they actually have a permanente card in hand I wouldn't hold my breath for anything soon.

We applied for our FM3 renewal with Spencer around August 18 and picked it up in Chapala a week later.

Our neighbor has been "in the process" since the first week of November. She had a family emergency about a week ago and had to go to the States with one day notice and no time to get a letter. She went to immigration at the airport and told them she lost her tourist card, paid the fine and left. She has not come back yet. Will let you know what happens when she comes home. Has anyone done this before or know what she can expect at immigration? NOT speculation please....only if you know for sure. Of course she is concerned.

We are about to start our application. If there is a 2 month waiting time to receive the new cards, what do you do if you are traveling within Mexico? I don't remember in the past having any document showing that we are currently in the renewal process. I would hate to be stopped somewhere in Mexico and then be told that my car wasn't legal because I didn't have a current visa.

Cards are lagging, supposedly 50 new ones were delivered to Guadalajara and many had errors. Most people have been given their documents under the old system and there were limited numbers so people traveling were prioritized and under the new system it is anybodys guess when the new cards will come or in what order, hopefully they will issue them based upon when they turned their applications in.

We turned our renewal for Jan 1st application to the Chapala office Dec 5th and last Friday turned in the request for the authorization letter to leave the country. Today we picked up our letter, which is valid for 60 days, so we can leave the country Friday and hopefully when we return in a couple weeks our renewal visa will be ready.

Government fees are $350 and a little more if you pay someone to prepare forms, go to bank and twice to immigration or maybe more to bug them and get it before you need to leave.

Used to be a bit under 400 pesos.

We started our FM3 process online in early Nov. Went to the immigration office 3rd week of Nov in Manzanillo to finish the application. Our cards just arrived this week. We paid for 2 years and were told at the end of the two years , which would then be a total of 5 years under FM3 / temporal we would be allowed to apply for residente permanente.

There were a pile of cards there so the backlog is starting to break.

In San Luis Potosi some of the new Residente cards are in today, mine included. Someone reported some are in at SMA INM today also. You need your form with the NUT# and your passport to retrieve them. Alan

You got your new permanente card??? You are the first person I "know" who actually has one in their hand! That is good news. Gives me hope.

Government fees are $350 and a little more if you pay someone to prepare forms, go to bank and twice to immigration or maybe more to bug them and get it before you need to leave.

My lawyer told me I need a photo for my travel document. I am embarrassed to say what he is charging. 1000 pesos for his fee and the government fee. He explained that he has to go to Guadalajara. Meanwhile, my neighbor has completed the entire permanente application on their own, and they do not speak Spanish, just by working with the Chapala office. They are actually further ahead than myself and other friends going through facilitators. Well, I don't mind paying someone else because I am, basically,a lazy person and hate dealing with this kind of stuff.... I am just glad this will be the last time.

Guadalajara? No, 1000 is a bit much but we charge 900 as it is 2 trips to immigration, waiting in line and a trip to the bank as well as staying on top of them and checking in to make sure people get the travel letter on time.

Cards are lagging, supposedly 50 new ones were delivered to Guadalajara and many had errors. Most people have been given their documents under the old system and there were limited numbers so people traveling were prioritized and under the new system it is anybodys guess when the new cards will come or in what order, hopefully they will issue them based upon when they turned their applications in.

It has been reported that new cards are showing up in SMA and SLP with no apparent notification of completion except for a list of NUT's posted on a wall at the local INM office. Assuming that the permanente cards must be picked up in Guadalajara not Chapala, is there any word on how people will know that their cards are ready?

You got your new permanente card??? You are the first person I "know" who actually has one in their hand! That is good news. Gives me hope.

I recieved my Residente Temporal card good for 2 years. Just over 2 months from the start of the process. Alan

Archived