Chapala.com Webboard

Cat sprayed with insecticide at Customs....now very sick. Need help!!

i think the meds they sent kitty home with first day was some kind of vitamin compound but kitty was just too ill to get any into him. They are keeping him another night, he is still on IV fluids but won't eat. If they can get him stabilized he may start to eat when he gets back *home* with his Mom. I know cats can't go too long without eating so hope he turns that corner soon.

The milk thistle is an excellent suggestion. Sometimes its just too hard to think when you're so stressed. I look after this kitty when owners away usually so I am like a second Mom to him and right now just wish I had kept him for this time as well.

I have just started on a statin, after fighting it for 2 years....so its a good idea to take milk thistle? Interesting as I so hate giving in and taking these statins.

Update tomorrow on kitty but everyone traveling with a pet be careful and make sure your vet not only fills in all the requirements as was done here but also STAMPS the documents. I imagine that means his office rubber stamp. So crazy...and cruel. Just horrible.

It's supposed to keep the statin from damaging your liver. A neighbor had been on statins for quite some time...since her multiple bypass. I told her she really should take milk thistle to protect her liver.... she said that it had already damaged it. I am now a believer...big time.

Thank you everybody for your help and concern! Vet said this morning that cat still not eating or drinking and 'spirit' not good. Wanted to keep another night but they went and got him thinking and hoping he might perk up when he saw they had not abandoned him. Once at home he sniffed around and ate a few crunchies!! Yipee, jumping up and down!!! He has a chance now and I'm sure would not have gotten this far without getting IV when he did.

Such a relief and I am so hoping nobody else EVER has to go through this. That poor cat. Don't let them spray anything on your pet at customs!! Something needs to be done about this and when my friends (two legs and four!) are back on their feet I will try to help them with that. Thanks everybody....meow

Thank you everybody for your help and concern! Vet said this morning that cat still not eating or drinking and 'spirit' not good. Wanted to keep another night but they went and got him thinking and hoping he might perk up when he saw they had not abandoned him. Once at home he sniffed around and ate a few crunchies!! Yipee, jumping up and down!!! He has a chance now and I'm sure would not have gotten this far without getting IV when he did.

Such a relief and I am so hoping nobody else EVER has to go through this. That poor cat. Don't let them spray anything on your pet at customs!! Something needs to be done about this and when my friends (two legs and four!) are back on their feet I will try to help them with that. Thanks everybody....meow

Sounds good. Tell them to try some sardines. Also, get some pedialyte - they can give him 10ml via syringe every hour till he starts drinking enough on his own. He still needs the fluids, its important. Good Luck. Something really should be done about the situation at Customs.

Keep us posted on the little guy.

Cats like to be clean so if you put a small amount of canned food or baby food on the cats paws and-or whiskers the cat might lick it off . A Chaman taught me this trick when my cat was very sick and he did lick the food off his paws.

You can also heat the food a little and -or add a drop or two of water, heating the food gives it more odor and might stimulate the appetite. Hope the kitty makes it, sucks this happened.

I have been away from my computer but am SO happy tot say that kitty is doing good! i think the eating issue was partly at least from him licking the poison off his fur while stuck in the carrier and it burned his mouth. Cats are so amazing and he is now eating and drinking and seems fine. Happy Ending! Thanks so much for all the good thoughts and helpful hints. Be careful bringing your pet through customs at Guadalajara. I am again considering driving down with my pets. A challenge I'm sure but I need them to be safe. They are my babies....

@ secheltsally - Thanks very much for the update and all of your posts leading up to this ... happy ending. :mellow:

Your good work prompted a VERY good Ajijic friend to arrange to meet me and Bella, my chocolate lab, at Customs WITH A VET who knows the people at Customs. Hopefully, this kind of situation won't be repeated for future travelers flying in who CAN'T STAND the thought of being parted from their pets just because they desire to come to Mexico.

Archived