Chapala.com Webboard

500% Import Duty on Cigars????

gknippel

I just returned from Mailboxes Etc where I went to pick up a package containing $59.00 US worth of cigars. They are telling me that I have to pay them $3,200 pesos ($243 US) because the duty on cigars entering Mexico from the US is 500%. It is my understanding the rate should be 60% ... am I wrong? I have a hard time believing this and think I'm being taken to the cleaners :013:

Besides, if you do the math a 500% fee would be $300 US ... seems like they're just making up numbers. Any info greatly appreciated.

One time in Mailboxes a lady was receiving a hearing aid and the "customs" fee was nearly the price of the hearing aids. Here in SMA we also have a Laredo forwarding address. No matter where an item is made, no matter what is the item, we always pay the same 16% IVA. We receive items almost weekly for 3 plus years.Mailboxes is either run by incompetents or thieves.

I thought it was illegal to have any tobacco products sent to Mexico without an import license. I know people can bring certain amounts of tobacco with them but it is illegal to have any nicotine product mailed or shipped to Mexico without a license.

The order probably should have been sent back and not allowed to cross the border.

And now, "the rest of the story" ...

Well, I went back later to see if they could produce any documentation. This time they said they called Laredo and just this one time the fee would only be $1000 pesos. Then she went into a "song and dance" about how the fee was more because there were "two packages", i.e, two separate bundles od cigars in one box ... and the more "packages" the higher the rate?!?!!? So I said you mean to say if I order two bundles of 25 it's more than if I order one bundle of 50??? She said, "yes". It's all a bunch of bs because "upon further review", all the prices on the invoice were redacted, so how do they know what to base the fee on.

Mailboxes could not survive in SMA for this very reason. Obviously someone is lining their pockets. Ask to see the package and then take it, give them 16% IVA and walk out the door.

I know if you want to import any tobacco and/or liquor, you do have to pay a 322% tax, plus I am sure there is a shipping charge... I have been using Mail boxes for some time and have received nothing but great service and competitive prices. Plus they bring anything I want or need from the north without any trouble for me! and to me that is worth a lot!!!

Where in Guad can I buy Cuban cigars?

Thanks,

Bill

There are several Cigar places- bu think this one would be easiest to find coming from Chapala

Centro Magno Mall in Guadalajara has a Cigar shop on the 2nd floor Glass Enclosed and air conditioned where you can buy cigars and also smoke

Also on Ave. Providencia near Starbucks in Col. Providencia in a small house - don''t remember the name

Archived