Chapala.com Webboard

2 Questions about Riberas Del Pilar

Alfa

Just a note....................the water in Chapala Haciendas is the best and cleanest of all lakeside. We are told this by H2Ole who manages our water purifier system. Only change the filters twice a year and they are barely dirty!

Come look for a place to rent or buy here!

THe same for Brisas de Chapala.

We live in lower Riberas and consider our area to be the stepchild of Chapala. Keep expectations low and you won't fret. Our street is so bad only people with SUVs or Jeeps can visit us during the rainy season. CFE did come by and repair some street lights several months ago but we had to pay extra to have it done. Water? We have a bizillion filters between the street water and our indoor plumbing. We wash the filters no less than once a month to keep the water flowing. We built a three chambered septic system and it works quite well. So, as you can see, don't count on the government to do anything for you, have the ability to do it yourself or have enough money to hire competent "experts" to help you.

We live in lower Riberas and consider our area to be the stepchild of Chapala. Keep expectations low and you won't fret.

Stepchild, I got a laugh out of that.

From a lot of research, I've know for a while that I'll have to keep "do it now or else" attitude NOB lol

• 2 years later...

Some of these posts are using the term Septic Tank and maybe those with a lot of land do have a septic tank, you can find the description of septic tank at the following URL

https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=mw&authuser=1&ei=fGkHVOvrCYnMsQTw94GAAw&ved=0CAUQqS4oAg#authuser=1&q=septic+tank

But since a septic system requires a drainfield that uses a lot of land area, they are not suitable for densely built communities like what Riberas del Pilar has become and septic tanks should be prohibited in areas adjacent to water bodies with fish or shellfish intended for human consumption, improperly maintained and failing septic systems contribute to pollution levels that can force harvest restrictions and/or commercial or recreational harvest closures

But what almost all of properties in Riberas del Pilar have is not a septic tank but a simple cesspool, you can find the description at https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=mw&authuser=1&ei=fGkHVOvrCYnMsQTw94GAAw&ved=0CAUQqS4oAg#authuser=1&q=cesspools and cesspools must be pumped out every three or 4 months, which is not cheap otherwise raw sewage is running out into the streets and can and does have a filthy odor. Even if you have your cesspool pumped regularly, your neighbor will not and it has been reported that at times the streets are full of water overflowing from the cesspools and the odor is overcoming.

I am sure many will remember the meeting in Feb in Chapala when the mayor announced the imminent start of installation of sewer lines in Riberas. Does anyone know what has happened to this project? Since the meeting there has been nothing but silence.

Some will also remember about a year ago a new well was opened which was supposed to end the sand problem in the water in Riberas. I find my filters get just as clogged as before. What happened to the clean water?

Back to the OP's question. The sewer line project is dead (for now). The assessment per household was too much for most families. Then there was the problem of hook-up. Many, maybe most, homes have the septic tanks in the rear of the house and the house goes from wall to wall. No way to bring the line to the front of the house out to the street. Most of the homes would have to be torn down to re-plumb for a sewer line. Fortunately, the powers that be had the foresight to kill a bad idea.

• 1 month later...

Septics101 (Full Course): A Guide to Septic System Maintenance

Funded by a grant from the Washington State Department of health

Learn how on-site sewage systems (septic systems) function and how to take care of them. This video shows the entire course (5 video chapters) and runs about 19 minutes. You can also view each video chapter separately.

Brewers yeast or RidEx is the answer if used properly. There are areas in all over the world that have the same problem (even in the New York area) as Sirgabout speaks about. You just have to take care of the system and not use non biodegradable toilet paper or chemicals that negate the natural process. I live in Riberas and when I first moved in it smelled terrible. After 3 months I have it under control using my secret formula. jaja. I also hail from Washington State.

We just purchased a home in Upper Riberas(north of the Carretera) My Infinitum sucks. But, other than that, all is good. Quiet area, good water & good septic system. 5 mins. to Chapala & 5 mins. to Wal Mart. This is not an area that we were looking in. But happy that we bought here.

The previous owner installed 2 tanks. One is for black water & completely sealed except for a line that takes the liquid off the top & flows into the second gray water tank. They built the house 7 years ago & had the black water tank pumped once in 2011. there was only a few inches of crud to pump out. There is never any odor.

We just purchased a home in Upper Riberas(north of the Carretera) My Infinitum sucks. But, other than that, all is good. Quiet area, good water & good septic system. 5 mins. to Chapala & 5 mins. to Wal Mart. This is not an area that we were looking in. But happy that we bought here.

The previous owner installed 2 tanks. One is for black water & completely sealed except for a line that takes the liquid off the top & flows into the second gray water tank. They built the house 7 years ago & had the black water tank pumped once in 2011. there was only a few inches of crud to pump out. There is never any odor.

Do you, then, have separate toilets?

I think he means are the toilet drains completely separated from the house drains?

That is required for separate handling of black wastes which are, by definition, fecal matter and urine.

Yes, the toilets drains are separated from the house drains. Very good system.

• 3 years later...

I am very close to signing a one year lease for a very nice, new apartment in Riberas. It is in the lower part, just south of San Antonio (east/west) and near Santa Monica (north/south). Does anyone have a sense of what the flooding will be like there when the rains fall? The neighborhood looks lovely and seems quiet, so that is my only concern. Thanks!

I rented the estate for 7 years at what was then the end of Santa Monica between Santa Monica and Paseo del Lago. As you will notice Santa Monica is a dirt street, actually it is cobblestone but over the years flooding has washed dirt down and it's never cleaned off, so it does happen sometimes. I think our front gate was #12 Santa Monica. We had water in flower beds from heavy rain, but not a problem. Casa Abuelo

Archived