Chapala.com Webboard

Bonafont water

mpb

Bonafont water is 16 pesos per 20-liter bottle? Why are we paying 22 pesos (I think) for Santorini?

Anyway, when we rented our house 3 1/2 years ago, we just flagged down the Santorini truck as it passed our house on its regular route. Ever since they come by every Thursday, ring the bell, and carry in whatever number of bottles we need. No need to call. Love the service and really love not having to schlep bottles back and forth to stores.

tele: 765 3999 in chapala. 15 or 16 pesos for the huge bottle. ask for someone who speaks english. there are mex-americans who work there. if they dont come call them back, the managers will telephone the truck to remind driver. (did it occur for some of the posters that older people cannot carry 50 lbs of water)? delivery service is the way to go.

We have a friend that has one of those water filter pitchers and Bonafont had alot of debris in the pitcher, I asked her to try Miguel water from Javier and there were no black specs in the water pitcher. Bonafont is expensive and over rated but I like the bigger jugs and all the water guys have all kinds of jugs.

• Like 1

There is a reverse osmosis water vendor in back of the market in Chapala. An American from that company handed out fliers at the American Legion, that's how we heard of them. We just started using them because our old water company moved. They charge 10 pesos a garafon for pickup, 13 pesos with delivery I believe (we always pick up). Don't have the name, phone or address, if anyone needs it PM me and I'll get that info the next time we go.

Jocotopec Water comes every day and offers a choice of glass or plastic garafons for 16p. Bonafont, in my experience, is not undercutting: they are a Pepsi-owned company and charged more than everyone else from the beginning five years ago here. There is a water place just west of Mom's restaurant that delivers and charges even less, and always has. 22 pesos is a rip-off for this area, I think.

I'm glad you asked, because I just double-checked. When Bonafont originated, it was Pepsi. Now it seems that Donone is the mark. Of course, I have no idea who owns what in terms of the larger corporations.

And those bottles, when I have seen them, for example at the place in Riberas, are thoroughly cleaned under pressure and disinfected.

It would take a bathtub of water to provide enough required vitamins and minerals even if said water contained them. If there are too many disolved solids in water our bodies will reject them and we won't hydrate properly.

I'm not so sure about bottled water. Does anyone have a source for delivery of spring water?

• 4 years later...

I just received an unsolicited visit from a Bonafont water truck in lower La Floresta.  He stood outside my front door and shouted repeatedly at the top his lungs. I am on medication that is severely debilitating and was trying to sleep.  After he rang my doorbell three times and kept shouting, I responded "Vete!", but he continued to keep shouting "Hola!  Agua!"  I finally opened the door, told him no once again, added that I was sick and that he was an :() (en Espanol).  He replied, "F*** you" (possibly the only English words he knows) and finally went away.  Does anyone know where I can register a complaint against this relentless bastard who clearly has no regard at all for a residential neighborhood where people may not want his product whenever he comes calling?  I understand that unwanted solicitation is a part of life in Ajijic, but when they absolutely refuse to take 'no' for an answer, it almost makes me want to react violently.  Any advice as to a reasonable alternative would be most welcome.

Guest bennie2

sharpdale: he bothered you because you responded. its called a relationship. they know elderly expats intimidated. if you stay silent they moveon. (your fault). my bell rings sometimes, i ignore. had a driver who was makng me uncomfortable after a year. he became very aggressive, kept banging the front door after i buzzed him in thru the gate. i even said "one minute" thru the intercom. dont know what his problem was, as i opened the front door w/in 60 seconds. all i had to do was walk across the room about 20 feet.  kept thinking he was going to break the door down. it got worse, so i consulted webboard for other options. last time he was here he yelled "im not coming back"!!! i said "GOOD"!  i called someone elses cellphone. he turned out to be my old driver from several years ago, same company. been w/me 2 years, quiet & respectful. the other man is a lunatic, i know who he is. also dont ever respond if you havnt called them prior. you dont owe an explaination. small children are not allowed in the house either. theres a reason why they bring them. im glad i have my former waterman back!

Edited by bennie2
typo