Chapala.com Webboard

Roofing Repair Recommendation

WAAmigo

Actually, it is quite normal for a new roof to develop some leaks a few years after construction. Some cracks are bound to have developed and the 'impermiabalizante' paint is showing its age. If nothing else, it is time for a good scrubbing and a couple of fresh coats of 'impermiabalizante' before the rainy season. Any cracks that have developed can be caulked and covered with a strip of 'membrana', thin fiberglass matting. Unless you have other reasons, your original roofer might be just the one to call.

These flat roofs need some attention every 3-5 years, even if you spring for the '10 year paint'.

I would recommend Steve Warwick's company. His cell phone number is 331-135-0763. He is a general contractor, speaks great English, is on time, gives you a written quote and does excellent work. His crew did my roof this spring. I have been using him since I purchased my house 3 years ago.

• 1 year later...

You cannot do any better then Chino (Ruben Chavarria).

He speaks English.

cell phone 333 150 9031

This is the best guy in Ajijic with 26 + years experience. He can do ANY kind of construction and guarantees his work. He has done many roofs here and for others that I have recommended. He is not the cheapest, but will do it right. Use only FESTER ACRITON 10 year material. That's what he'll suggest. He used 7 year FESTER on my roof 11 years ago and it lasted 9 years.

CONSTRUCTION - ALL TYPES - ROOFS - TILE - POOLS - PAINTING

RUBEN CHINO CHAVARRIA (Speaks English)

Francisco Villa # 11 - Ajijic

Tel: 766 2327

Cell ph: 045 333 150 9031

See his new website: www.elchinoajijic.com

I can also highly recommend, who is less expensive.

CONSTRUCTION - ALL TYPES - ROOFS - TILE - POOLS - ELECTRICAL - PLUMBING

RAYMUNDO BLAS (Speaks English) - Written Estimates - Reasonable Prices

Tel: 766 1456

Cell ph: 045 331 141 5638

constructionsray@hotmail.com

I know a job that one of the contractors who is recommended here did for a friend of mine and his terrace roof collapsed.

My recommendation, who comes highly recommended by Brad Grieve (house inspector) is:

David Castillo
Cel: 045 333-955-9438

I had some work on our roof done and we satisfied.

The cost was reasonable.

David speaks/understands fairly good English.

He arrived and finished the work as promised.

He worked within our budget.

Lastly, he's a very nice and respectful man. His team is as well.

I know a job that one of the contractors who is recommended here did for a friend of mine and his terrace roof collapsed.

Yes, I know one of them as well and he's to be avoided, for sure. We had a bad experience with him and maybe it's the same one.

Can you please confirm that it isn't David Castillo?

It's not, but I recommended the best above, Chino Chavarria and Sons, from myself and others years of experience

ROOF SPECIFICATIONS

Here is what you need to ask your Contractors so they bid apples to apples and you will get a good job. November thru May is the best weather for roof work. Weather and surfaces MUST be dry. In this article I suggest using Fester Acriton 10 year as it’s the best quality, if you’re planning on staying in the house. You can use a cheaper brand of material as Fester is much more expensive than the others.

1. Scrape and grind all loose material and rough areas. Clean using a power washer, otherwise Fester Acriton will not adhere.

2. Check all loose roof tiles. Remove loose roof tiles, inspect for cracks, repair and recement roof tiles.

3. IMPORTANT: Put a very thin concrete only cement wash over the roof tiles,otherwise the Fester Acriton will not bond.

4. Optional: Apply Fester Festerbond to roof. (This is a high quality bonding agent)

5. Apply a thinned down coat of Fester Acriton 50% Acriton/50% water to roof for first coat ONLY.

Lay Membrane into this Fester Acriton. Put on another coat of Fester Acriton, without thinning, immediately over the membrane.

6. Apply FOUR more coats of Fester Acriton as it comes from the bucket, without thinning, on the roof on different days, allowing each coat to dry.

7. Your Contractor should give you at least a 7 year Guarantee and better yet a 10 year Guarantee. You should check his references and talk to others he has done roofs for.

Highly recommended Contractor:

CONSTRUCTION - Remodel - Roofs - Tile - Pools - Painting

(He Guarantees his work.)

RUBEN “CHINO” CHAVARRIA (Speaks English)

Francisco Villa # 11 - Ajijic

Cell ph: 045 333 150 9031

CONSTRUCTION - REMODEL - TILE - ELECTRICAL - PLUMBING - Highly Rec

RAYMUNDO BLAS PINEDA (Speaks English) - Written Estimates - Reas Prices

Cell ph: 045 331 141 5638

constructionsray@hotmail.com

We also hired Chino (Ruben) and have nothing but great things to say about him and his sons.

Chino came to our home, gave us a couple of options, and explained what needed to be done, for the best protection on our roof. Chino uses nothing but the BEST products available.

He came to work when he said he would! Workers cleaned up after themselves and made very sure we were satisfied before leaving. The price was reasonable, for the amount of work that needed to be done. Chino also guarantees his work!!

My wife has already heard the sounds of the Rainbirds, so if your roof needs work nows the time to get it done. :)

• 4 years later...

Steve Warwick came to my house the middle of last week to look at what needed to be done. He was very nice; but has not called to follow up and give me a quote. I just spoke with Chino who will come over shortly to get the ball rolling.

Archived