Chapala.com Webboard

Tag renewal problems - how do you solve it?

donnamex

From the Lewis and Lewis FAQ at:

http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/faq.html#4

Q. Does my US / Canadian vehicle registration need to be current?

A. It is recommended that you have current US / Canadian registration of your vehicle, to avoid any and all problems that may arise with the Mexican authorities. However, your Mexican Auto Insurance policy will be valid with or without current registration.

• 7 years later...

I went through all that vehicle hassle with a us car for ten years. I finally  got wise a just bought a used Mexican plated car with very low mileage. I got it at an estate sale for cash and best of all no 16 % sales tax...I was just being stubborn keeping  my us car. I would advise anyone to just get a Mexican car and be done with it.  life is too short//  HA

As many people have said you can "probably" get away with not keeping your vehicle tags current. And you "might" even have success in filing an insurance claim - especially if it is reasonably small. However, if you have a serious accident with lots of damage and especially if people are seriously injured or even killed you might have a problem. In the event of major expenses the insurance company might look for any excuse to avoid paying. I appreciate what insurance agents and even lawyers who don't specialize in insurance law have to say. But the insurance company (not the agent) has the final say based on the insurance policy which is actually a contract. I would want to read the specific insurance policy and review relevant case law.

So you can probably be just fine with not keeping your car tags up to date. But for $30-$50 per year why take a chance? Just my opinion based on relevant experience. I wouldn't take the risk myself to save a few bucks or prove a point.

Many insurance policies require "that your vehicle be in Mexico legally". State law in Jalisco requires that "your vehicle be legal to drive on public roads in its home jurisdiction".  So, you had better keep current in your home jurisdiction, and be sure that your Importada Temporal is valid at all times.

Simply ask your insurance provider and have the answer in writing.

soniadiaz.mx

And even if your insurance agent tells you that you are covered and don't need to keep your registration current, the policy and or the interpretation from the insurance company may be different. Your insurance agent represents the insurance company and sells you the policy, provides some services but does not adjust or pay claims. No matter what they tell you even if it is in writing. If they tell you that your are "covered" without current registration and they are wrong, the insurance company might not pay. Your recourse would be to file a law suit against your agent. Good look with that. 

And in addition to the insurance issues you could have your car confiscated in some cases. At a minimum you would almost definitely have more of a hassle.

Again, seems kind of crazy to me to take a chance when having current registration is pretty easy and inexpensive. Definitely a personal decision.

Archived