Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone tried the buffet at 5 Potrillos in Ixlahuacan?

SusieSunshine

Is it good? What does it have? Know the price?

Considering taking a day and going to the Tianguis out there and trying the buffet.

EDIT FOR...What are the vegetarian options?

I have only been there for Lunch and the food and service was great. There should be lots to choose

from. Since most of the Mexican food is rice,beans, and cheese. Lots of tropical fruit.

My wife and I ate there last night and we saw the buffet chaffing dishes set out so we asked them what the deal was on the buffet. Didn't really get a straight answer. They said that they used them when they got a lot of people dining. Didn't tell us if there was a certain day or time to look for.

My wife and I ate there last night and we saw the buffet chaffing dishes set out so we asked them what the deal was on the buffet. Didn't really get a straight answer. They said that they used them when they got a lot of people dining. Didn't tell us if there was a certain day or time to look for.

I do know that the buffet is on Sundays. :) Not sure of the time, though. It is just a few minutes to drive and see and I need some produce anyway. I doubt it takes place during the same hours as the tianguis.

I have eaten there many times and the food/service has always been good....I love their grilled chicken they bring to the table on a very hot elevated plate...lots of meat and veggies and more than enough for two...

I do know that the buffet is on Sundays. :) Not sure of the time, though. It is just a few minutes to drive and see and I need some produce anyway. I doubt it takes place during the same hours as the tianguis.

I've eaten many times there on Sunday and the buffet must be past 1:30 or so, as I've not seen it earlier or stayed much later.

I went out there today. They no longer have the buffet every Sunday. They said that they have it on special days (about once a month) and the food is always different. I asked about vegetarian and he looked like I might be alien and couldn't say what might be included on the buffet without meat.

I forgot to ask the price, but I did get a menu.

Sidetracking, but I have to admit, I was glad the buffet was not going on because we found some great food at tianguis and were already pretty stuffed. If anyone goes, there is a little stand that makes the best gorditas I have had here...its in the middle with a sitting area and watches across from it.

I went out there today. They no longer have the buffet every Sunday. They said that they have it on special days (about once a month) and the food is always different. I asked about vegetarian and he looked like I might be alien and couldn't say what might be included on the buffet without meat.

I forgot to ask the price, but I did get a menu.

Sidetracking, but I have to admit, I was glad the buffet was not going on because we found some great food at tianguis and were already pretty stuffed. If anyone goes, there is a little stand that makes the best gorditas I have had here...its in the middle with a sitting area and watches across from it.

Even most of the Mexican dishes that would appear to be vegetarian, are not. Beans are made with a LOT of lard/manteca, and the lard is often used in the cooking of many other things, tortillas included. A lot of times the rice is cooked in chicken broth for flavor.

Just a heads up to any strict vegetarians out there.

Even most of the Mexican dishes that would appear to be vegetarian, are not. Beans are made with a LOT of lard/manteca, and the lard is often used in the cooking of many other things, tortillas included. A lot of times the rice is cooked in chicken broth for flavor.

Just a heads up to any strict vegetarians out there.

Corn tortillas never contain lard or any other non-vegetarian material. They are made from dried and then nixtamalized corn and water, or from Maseca corn flour and water. Nothing else.

Wheat flour tortillas are traditionally made with lard, but many packaged brands contain vegetable shortening instead.

Is it good? What does it have? Know the price?

Considering taking a day and going to the Tianguis out there and trying the buffet.

EDIT FOR...What are the vegetarian options?

Saege and More LIana make good points. To this you should know that often things like onions and chilies are cooked in lard before being added to salsas or other ingredients. Also while corn tortillas don't contain lard, tamales made from masa usually do and many, if not most soups and sauces use chicken or beef stock as a base.

Saege and More LIana make good points. To this you should know that often things like onions and chilies are cooked in lard before being added to salsas or other ingredients. Also while corn tortillas don't contain lard, tamales made from masa usually do and many, if not most soups and sauces use chicken or beef stock as a base.

Some masa for certain regional tamales does not contain lard, but does contain butter. And some few people make the masa for tamales with vegetable shortening. Fie.

Corn tortillas never contain lard or any other non-vegetarian material. They are made from dried and then nixtamalized corn and water, or from Maseca corn flour and water. Nothing else.

Wheat flour tortillas are traditionally made with lard, but many packaged brands contain vegetable shortening instead.

I totally meant tamales, not tortillas.

Unfortunately, Mexico and vegetarian do not go well together. In the states, I was able to completely eliminate everything, but here it has become too much of a struggle to be as strict. I don't like it and still don't eat any meat, but also want to be able to enjoy the local fare without feeling as restricted. I had great tamales tonight and asked...was told no, but was also told that chicken is not a meat. I'm afraid to ask about the gorditas in Ixlahuacan because they were too good and I am going back for more regardless...If I knew, I would feel to guilty to eat them and my kids would disown me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a vegetarian. I don't eat meat of any kind, do eat a little seafood (10 times a year, maybe), and have grate hard cheese on pasta. I don't necessarily ask about ingredients because I don't believe an unknown small amount of animal-product is that large a violation of my ethics.

Glad to hear someone else has the same viewpoint! I have had a lot of people tell me that I have become too slack, but I don't see me changing anyone's cooking around here by asking about the lard in a tamale or beans and saying "No, thanks." I have stayed away from pozole and other obvious things, but part of the culture is experiencing the wonderful tastes so I decided to give in and lay off myself a little. I, too, eat a little seafood (a few times a year), but limit it to shrimp and scallops (which supposedly have no nervous system and don't feel pain or fear...it is my excuse, but it came from PETA...haha).

Archived