Chapala.com Webboard

Great places for a vegetarian???

SusieSunshine

Some Ideas to get you started:

Lake taco makes shrimp tacos. If you want the cabbage and Baja sauce, ask for it or they will come plain. The place is located on the east side of the libriemento, beside the car wash. It's hard to see until you turn into the car wash, then look for the palapa. Menu includes other items, the place is pet friendly (entirely outdoor setting - nice view btw), cheap, and has a wheelchair ramp from the car wash side of the palapa.

Simply Thai has several vegetarian dishes on their menu. How about the onion soup at Two Spoons. Shrimp tempura and salad at Ricki's. Fettucine Alfredo should be on the menu in all the local Italian places. Cafe magana has carrot ginger soup, cream of onion soup (weirdly, it includes peas) and several salad choices. LaVina has a 3 mushroom pasta dish. Chile rellenos stuffed with shrimp at Viva Mexico, or they will do a regular cheese stuffed relleno on request.

El figon, I hear, has shrimp burgers. I *believe* that cafe Adoria makes one veggie frittata every day. all the pizza places will make a veggie pizza. Lots of good salad places - pizzeria Toscana in Riberas (the yellow house) used to make some that were very good. And Lety's does some wonderful things with shrimp.

Isn't the secret garden in Ajijic almost 100% vegetarian?

Despite their reputation as a steakhouse, I often go meatless at Tango. I think all of their wood-fired pizzas are meatless and they have a huge array of salads and other starters that are meat-free. The Criolla 'salad' is a plate of warm grilled veggies (eggplant, onion, mushrooms, etc.). They also have a lot of pastas, for which you can choose a meatless sauce. And a vegetable lasagne.

And, may I add my veg. favorites?

The housemade pasta and sauces at La Taverna are outstanding, IMHO. Try the grilled veggie salad to start.

The veggie dishes at El Serape are surprisingly good! So very fresh!! Have lunch there and watch the produce being delivered daily..

Has anyone else enjoyed these two restaurants and their vegetarian dishes?

:D Patti

Some Ideas to get you started:

Lake taco makes shrimp tacos. If you want the cabbage and Baja sauce, ask for it or they will come plain. The place is located on the east side of the libriemento, beside the car wash. It's hard to see until you turn into the car wash, then look for the palapa. Menu includes other items, the place is pet friendly (entirely outdoor setting - nice view btw), cheap, and has a wheelchair ramp from the car wash side of the palapa.

Simply Thai has several vegetarian dishes on their menu. How about the onion soup at Two Spoons. Shrimp tempura and salad at Ricki's. Fettucine Alfredo should be on the menu in all the local Italian places. Cafe magana has carrot ginger soup, cream of onion soup (weirdly, it includes peas) and several salad choices. LaVina has a 3 mushroom pasta dish. Chile rellenos stuffed with shrimp at Viva Mexico, or they will do a regular cheese stuffed relleno on request.

El figon, I hear, has shrimp burgers. I *believe* that cafe Adoria makes one veggie frittata every day. all the pizza places will make a veggie pizza. Lots of good salad places - pizzeria Toscana in Riberas (the yellow house) used to make some that were very good. And Lety's does some wonderful things with shrimp.

Isn't the secret garden in Ajijic almost 100% vegetarian?

Why all the seafood dishes Jeanette, Didn't you get it the lady is looking for per vegetarian not more seafood.! I a sure she is looking

for more variety and knows about the usual place.

And, may I add my veg. favorites?

The housemade pasta and sauces at La Taverna are outstanding, IMHO. Try the grilled veggie salad to start.

The veggie dishes at El Serape are surprisingly good! So very fresh!! Have lunch there and watch the produce being delivered daily..

Has anyone else enjoyed these two restaurants and their vegetarian dishes?

:D Patti

I am particularly fond of the ravioli with sage and butter at La Taverna.

Why all the seafood dishes Jeanette, Didn't you get it the lady is looking for per vegetarian not more seafood.! I a sure she is looking

for more variety and knows about the usual place.

Geez, Sasha, why so snarky? The OP specified that she eats shrimp. Jeanette mentioned places where there was good shrimp on the menu.

Another example of why Jeanette may decide not to post anything anymore, let alone restaurant reviews. Right on, More Liana.

I am particularly fond of the ravioli with sage and butter at La Taverna.

Giovanni's on the Careterra in West Ajijic just east of Tabarka has great vegetarian choices. All pasta dishes are vegetarian and he will add veggies if you request. He makes an eggplant lagsana to die for, as well as a new canneloni dish with spinach and your choice of white or red sauce. His large veggie salad is wonderful and a new appitiser of of grilled portabello with balsamic sauce can be ordered as a double order for a main dish with pasta.. He will usually change anything on the menu for you to a veggie dish if he can. The canaloni is so inexpensive, 40p for three good sized pieces and is sooo good. That with a side salad makes for an excellent and inexpensive meal. He also has 2 for 1 wine at dinner time around 5pm.

Also second the recommendation on Ef Faron and El Serape for veggie dishes. El Sarape will take any meat dish and make it veggie as well.

Note: To those grinches who always critique my spelling errors, I will again remind you that I cannot get spell check on this site and that I am legally blind. SOOOO I do not want to hear from you again on this issue. I guess I am lucky that I have thick skin and a good sense of humor from having spent a good deal of my life working with mentally challenged clients. I am sure most people with a little imagination can read what I write.!!!

Another example of why Jeanette may decide not to post anything anymore, let alone restaurant reviews. Right on, More Liana.

I agree with Cheapo and More Liana.

I, for one, don't appreciate the not so subtle attacks on posters who are striving to provide quality and constructive information. I find this board an excellent resource with many gracious and helpful members. The ones who have a completely different agenda ruin it for the rest of us. It seems that there's a noticable decline in posters these days and I can only imagine it's due in large part to the increased negativity by the few who thrive on that. It's a shame.

Archived