Chapala.com Webboard

Rearview Mirror Theft

gknippel

A good friend had both rearview mirrors stolen in broad daylight yesterday at Chula Vista GC. I seem to recall reading about having the mirror glass etched with a personal ID to deter theft. I did a search of the forums but didn't turn up anything. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so, do you know where to have them etched?

Gracias

If you can't find anyone to etch them for you, there's a product called Armour Etch. You get it at craft/art stores. You can use a stencil or just paint it on. In about 20 minutes you wash it off and your etching is there permanently.

which craft store locally here at lakeside sells armour etch. i want to bu it,

our if you have some i will buy it from you, plese PM me

To protect mirrors you don't have them etched. Who would care? You get covers for the rim so they can't be removed. The mechanic across from Maskaras Fernando? has them or can get them for your model.

Friend has 2 yr old Ford Expedition- has had the remote control mirrors including all wiring stolen 2 times in the last year- once just a month ago in broad daylight parked in front of his house in a very nice neighborhood - cars alarm system did not activate in both cases

cost to replace $12,000.00 MXN

Most OEM car alarms are programmed for ignition lock/horn as the default setting. Check the owner's manual if there is optional settings with impact sensors that will alert to someone trying to open the door handle or just bumping the car. You could buy an aftermarket alarm system if the OEM system is not adequate and program it to be sensitive enough to set the alarm off if someone just thumps the body with their finger.

Most OEM car alarms are programmed for ignition lock/horn as the default setting. Check the owner's manual if there is optional settings with impact sensors that will alert to someone trying to open the door handle or just bumping the car. You could buy an aftermarket alarm system if the OEM system is not adequate and program it to be sensitive enough to set the alarm off if someone just thumps the body with their finger.

Please we need no more car alarms, they are not effective here. ever notice when one of many goes off and no one ever pays any attention any more? I would rather have them steal my mirrors. Most of us gray hairs don't use our mirrors anyway. LOL

Chris:

Perhaps I'm not following you ... do these covers for the rim protect the entire mirror from being removed, or just the glass portion of the mirror?

Gracias

The rims prevent removing the glass only. 3 years ago I was looking for them for my Jeep and one day I was in Soriana and they had them in the auto section, I was excited until I realized they were for VW Jetta's. I counted and they had 82 sets, all for Jetta's, no others, only Jetta's, I suspect someone goofed on their store order, so if you have a Jetta, I'd bet they still have at least one set left. They typically glue or pop rivet in place. There's an area in Guad where they say all stolen stuff ends up, you can go "buy back" your missing items, I've never found it, maybe someone can post that location.

• 2 weeks later...

A good friend had both rearview mirrors stolen in broad daylight yesterday at Chula Vista GC. I seem to recall reading about having the mirror glass etched with a personal ID to deter theft. I did a search of the forums but didn't turn up anything. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so, do you know where to have them etched?

Gracias

All of my cars have id etched on windows and mirrors. This was a free service provided by my insurance company Quality Insurance and becuase they are etched i get a 5% deductible incase the car is stolen and not the usual 10% for the same price.

I'm confused. Why would they just steal the glass part and not the whole mirror? How do they get it out? I can see where etching would be no deterence. It shouldn't cost that much just to have the glass/mirrot replaced if it was stolen would it?

I'm confused. Why would they just steal the glass part and not the whole mirror? How do they get it out? I can see where etching would be no deterence. It shouldn't cost that much just to have the glass/mirrot replaced if it was stolen would it?

That seems to be one of the great mysteries of Mexico, I've been asking it for 4 years, sometimes they do steal the whole thing, but most often the glass and of course when they pry it out sometimes the little servo motor comes out as well, but mostly they just take the glass, it's a mystery.

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't about etching... but if you want the mirror glass guards, Autosports - Guadalajara have or can order them. They installed them on my 25 yr. old Oldsmobile last week for about 250 pesos.

If you want to check by phone... call the Autosport's Tolsa, Av. Enrique Diaz de León #800, Guadalajara, Tel. 3810 4317 location and ask for "Isaac". He speaks good English and is/was most helpful.

Archived