Chapala.com Webboard

AT&T Viva Mexico Plan

gknippel

Does anyone have the AT&T Viva Mexico plan for their US cell phone down here? I have it but am having a lot of difficulty calling Mexican cell phone numbers down here. It seems to work occasionally, but not always ... very frustrating.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated ... gracias.

I was thinking about getting the Viva Mx plan-so this is not good news for me. What kind of phone do you have? I have a Samsung Eternity II, a quad band, and I was told it should work fine in Mx. And, according to AT&T's service maps (ha ha), you should be getting good service in the Guad and Lakeside areas.

If your NOB phone is connected to the network here it will most likely show TELMEX where it would show AT&T NOB. When your phone is in Mexico you must dial Mexican numbers as it you had a Mexican cellphone. I have an AT&T phone here and it works fine provided I enter the number correctly.

I have a Blackberry. At the Viva Mexico works GREAT for calling to US and receiving from US.

So can someone explain the "magic numbers" when calling with a Mexican cell?

Gracias

There are no "magic numbers." For calls both local and long distance in Mexico you simply enter the full 10 digit phone number. Do the same with your NOB phone and it will here as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I used my ATT iPhone Lakeside with no issues once I figured out that if I saved the number I wanted to dial as a contact then let the "international helper" auto dial it for me it would work. When I tried to dial by entering the numbers it never worked, even when I included all ten numbers, the international codes etc etc. Weird but true. I had full signal almost everywhere except in the hotel where the stone walls sometimes reduced the signal.

You can do that with virtually any phone here. You don't need a special plan. If you have an NOB phone it will probably cost less if you do. With my Telcel I can call the USA. With my AT&T prepaid I can call locally, long distance in MX, and to the USA. It's all a question of cost.

Archived