Chapala.com Webboard

Younger Crowd??

I'm 31 and my husband is 35. If all works out we will be moving down in December.We have 2 small children, but still like to get out. We've lived in the area before and it's good to hear there are other ex-pat "youngsters" out there. This thread has been going for some time...Is that Zumba class still going on?

We're 39 and 36 and have lived here 3 years. We have kids in the public school system. We really enjoy socializing with all the different age groups and cultures here (there we 7 nationalities represented at our baby shower last year!). There are more and more younger people moving into the area. I do try to go to the Mexpat meetings in Guad (just went on Tuesday, lots of fun). I've been meeting some younger folks whenever we can at the El Figon just to have a couple drinks and talk about life.

Try the Bar Camaleon in Ajijic, especially on Friday night. The Camaleon attracts a much younger and more diverse crowd than the other clubs in town. Speaking Spanish helps but isn't necessary. It's located on the corner of Constitucion and Marcos Castellanos, one block south of the plaza.

yes, Guadalajara is the place, here in lake side is boring! just restaurantes....argh!

Actually, there is lots to do, and many other active, fun-loving, young and 'young at heart' types around to do things with, but it does take some work to search them out. There isn't much organized for this certain age group, most is geared to the older crowd. Hey, not all of us 'youngsters' are working, and many older folks aren't yet retired, so hard to pigeon-hole everyone. I am 48, and no longer working. You can call it retired, or just permanently unemployed, whatever!

There is rarely a day with nothing to do, you just have to decide what things you like to do, then go find it and others to join you. I printed up non-business cards with my contact info (no address, just general locale) &on the reverse it says, 'Activity partner available for: Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, Riding, Dog walking (can lend you one!) and volunteering at a local orphanage. Let people know what you want to do, and they will find you.

There is a group that hikes in the hills weekly, there is a group that meets socially every week, some that do trips into Guad for shopping. There is a new kayaking club meeting weekly at La Tasca, and those without gear can borrow. There are people who bike, jog, horseback ride in groups, too. Plus several gyms and exercise classes. Oh, and golf if you do that. We could use a dog walkers group, I would join.

I can introduce you to some 30's & 40's females here who keep really busy. PM me if you want info.

mermaid38,

You asked about Thursday 7-9pm. That would work fine for me. Fridays are also good. I would love to expand my circle of friends in the area. I have a number of retired friends, but it would also be nice to know more people who work days and are willing to go out in the evenings.

I'm 37 y.o. I have lived full time in Chapala for a year and a half. I work Mon-Fri during the day telecommuting for a U.S. company.

KBIOhio

• 1 year later...

FUN A ND GET TOGETHER FOR ALL AGES....

Family fun and adventures at Hacienda De Taos Horseback riding on south side of Lake Chapala.

trail rides

cattle drives

horseback riding games and seminars

cabin rental

overnight camping trips

fishing

kayaking

hiking

bird watching

biking

yoga, artist, writers retreats

special camps for teens and children

www.haciendadetaos.com

hacdetaos@gmail.com

I've been here about 6 months and have met very few folks my age (40s) or younger. I'm in Chapala and have no transportation, so difficult to get around and meet people. Tried El Barco once. Once. Ok if you don't mind paying twice as much for everything as anywhere else. I hit Coffee Hour here in Chapala once a day, but that's about the extent of my socializing. Would appreciate an opportunity to get together with a younger crowd if something could be organized.

It is a tough age as many are older or younger. Also many are working alot or have families. There is alot going on in Guadalajara as it is a big city although I am looking for more groups to join in the city to expand my friendships beyond work related ones.

It is nice to know that other Americans and Canadians exist in the area that are working and mixed in with the retirees. Great mix of young and older folks. That was really nice of Spencer to invite you.

We had a very nice "crowd" for Thanksgiving last night. Classy, nice men, but mostly gringas in their late 30's to early 40's. A few Mexican gals, too, who are bi-lingual. It was a good time had by all. I can't recall laughing that much in a long time.

It takes a little time to get to meet people... and even more to find the people you like to hang out with. But, that is part of the Mexican experience. Enjoy it! Some really good people are here caring for their parents and others who are good folks who are not fugitives -- but are here for the experience. But, most times you find someone your age, you need to ask yourself "why are you here?"

That is just my own experience.

I concur with the rest of the posts... hang out with Spencer and you will meet decent, non-druggies who are nice people. He is a good man. Plus, you will enjoy his company and his knowledge, too. I have always treasured his friendship, guidance and knowledge.

I'm here in Nashville and thinking about moving down next summer. My brother and I will be in Ajijic the week of Christmas and would love to meet up with any of you. We are in the "last of the baby boomers" age group.

El Barco is fun on Monday nights if the The Jam Band is still playing there. They play baby boomer music, though, so you might not like that.

I think a group of the younger crowd is a great idea. Then if you want to go check out any of the dance clubs in Guadalajara, you will have someone to go with. :)

If anyone wants to get together the week of Christmas, send me a PM. I hope everyone is not out of town that week. My brother and I love eating out or going to a coffee shop, etc. We'd also be interested in horseback riding or ATV, taking the water taxi to San Luis Soyatlan to see the pelicans and eating lunch at Los Crotos, or going to Joco to eat at El Quinto Sabor. Actually, anything is an adventure to us when we come to Mexico. I'm hoping to move down there later this year and would love to meet people already living there.

Goin to El Barco right now, have an early 20´s friend here, just got out of Israeli army so good chance to meet a nice young guy and pratice your Hebrew!! See you there!

• 3 years later...

You would be much better to start a new thread on this topic.  Once you do so, please repost this there.  Let me know if you need help with this.  Just start by hitting the "start new topic" button on the top of the page towards the right side.

Thanks.

Archived