Chapala.com Webboard

Younger Crowd??

I am a new to this area, living in Ajijic, and looking for people more my age to go and do things with. I'm in my mid-30s.

Is there a place that the locals and/or expats in the 25-45 age range frequent? (not necessarily have to be in that age range, just throwing some numbers out there...)

I am a new to this area, living in Ajijic, and looking for people more my age to go and do things with. I'm in my mid-30s.

Is there a place that the locals and/or expats in the 25-45 age range frequent? (not necessarily have to be in that age range, just throwing some numbers out there...)

When my kids were that age? University students and later, while single and before marriage, they almost always went to Guad. to "socialize"--discos, concerts, friends, etc., except for the private get togethers they might have at lakeside.

Rarely did they hang out in the bars or restaurants lakeside. Probably, if you are into the "bar scene", El Barco, on the carretera in Ajijic, would have the youngest of the old crowd--could be others.

They exist like me but many drink alot and do drugs, the ones who are good are working and / or studying and don't really get out as much. If you like drugs and partying you'll find that crowd almost nightly. If you are working or studying then it will be harder to meet the good people but they are out there and also seek people who are like them, ones who have goals in life and don't want trouble.

What is your story? Working? Studying? Disabled? Partier? Fugitive? Living with family and caring for them?

They exist like me but many drink alot and do drugs, the ones who are good are working and / or studying and don't really get out as much. If you like drugs and partying you'll find that crowd almost nightly. If you are working or studying then it will be harder to meet the good people but they are out there and also seek people who are like them, ones who have goals in life and don't want trouble.

What is your story? Working? Studying? Disabled? Partier? Fugitive? Living with family and caring for them?

Working Tuesday thru Saturday, living with my parents (until I find an affordable place of my own). Not a fugitive, that I know of! (j/k, definitely NOT a fugitive). I like going out once in awhile, but definitely not interested in the drug scene. Looking for people to go do things with, whether it be walking around the village, getting coffee or a drink, just going and doing things! Basically I work and come home and watch movies with my parents and work on art projects.

Call me or PM me and next time I'm out with friends I can invite you, I do have some that speak a little English and need to practice, they are all good people, bank executives, architects, attorneys, etc.

There's not a lot of expats here in your age range but there are a few.

If I were you, I'd start eating breakfast out especially on Wednesdays (market day) and the weekends. I'd go to Salvadors on Wednesday and Jardins (ajijic plaza) on the weekend. Find a big table and ask to join. In a month, you will know 50% of the expats in town. Most are going to be older and retired but someone will be dying to introduce you to someone your age.

if this person works tuesday through saturday they can't be eating breakfast and schmoozing with the local gringos. our kids are in this age group and when they visit they never had any problem finding something to do. there are some very fine young people around, check out the artists that are regulars around the plaza and some of the musicians, some speak english too,if your language skills aren't perfect yet.or go to the chameleon bar.or get involved in something you care about....

My husband and I moved to Chapala in April (from Columbus, Ohio). We are in our thirties. I'm a U.S. citizen (working full time Mon-Fri), and he is a Mexican citizen (building our home -his full time job for this first year). We have slowly made a small group friends (American and Canadian retirees, one younger Mexican couple that lives across the street, employees of several establishments we frequent will sit and chat with us, etc...) - really all age groups, very nice people. My hubby and I also have his large family in Guadalajara that we see once a week, which also keeps us busy and socializing. We do not use drugs, but we drink socially. On week nights, we tend to be in bed by about 10:30pm. We like to get out more on the weekends. I would enjoy meeting you for a coffee or beer sometime...just let me know (IM me if you would like).

I've also been looking to join a gym or Zumba class. However, I know that if I could find a workout buddy, I would do better at sticking with it ;)

KBIOHIO

KBIOHIO, the Zumba classes at the Cultural Center in Ajijic are GREAT! The lady (Aracely) is young and very energetic. The music is loud and fun. She usually has about 20-25 Mexican ladies ranging in age from 16-35 working hard every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5:15. The class is 20 pesos. Bring water and a towel and get ready to work, LOL!

Valerie :D

Go to Guadalajara, if possible live there or stay in an hotel for a weekend. Hang around the Chapultepec, La Paz, Lopez Cotilla areas.

Mexpat.com is a site for expats living in the area. They have several events in restaurants and private homes for get-togethers with

the foreign residents. There is a youngish community living and working often for large American companies in the area. Also many

Europeans. Visit La Paloma restaurant on L Cotilla, Wings Army on Chapultepec, nothing like the dreary dump that Chapala has to offer.

Sanbournes on Vallarta has free entertainment nightly with 2for1 drinks with Tapas,some good music,especially on Fridays with many

single women.available. For me, Lake- side has always been a living death..............

In my experience, and one of the things I love about Lakeside, is that there is little separation among the generations. I personally know a number of people whose 30-something "kids" live with them and they all frequently go places together. I know of no particular place where younger people gather. A VERY young crowd (like 15 to 25) seems to hang out at Wings Army some nights. I am in my 30s, and except for special one-time events such as concerts, etc., I know of no such place. It is all pretty much a mix. Oh, there used to be a Young Women's Club for those under 40...or maybe it was 50 (??), but I don't know it it is still around. You could email mexamigos@prodigy.net.mx for info about it though. The suggestion for El Barco was a pretty good one, unless you don't like the bar scene. Also, there are quite a few under or near 40s who go to La Tasca when the Tall Boys are playing (usually Fridays, I believe) because they play dance music. They ARE out there, and their number is increasing. Just mingle here and there and you'll find each other.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I came here to visit friend from Jan 13 to Feb3, would like to have friends to hang out and so some activities I live in Jalisco, Ajijic area. Let me know or email me jpatthai@gmail.com

KBIOHIO, the Zumba classes at the Cultural Center in Ajijic are GREAT! The lady (Aracely) is young and very energetic. The music is loud and fun. She usually has about 20-25 Mexican ladies ranging in age from 16-35 working hard every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5:15. The class is 20 pesos. Bring water and a towel and get ready to work, LOL!

Valerie :D

Hi Valerie,

Is the class still on? I check the web site didnt find anything. I 'm looking for the late Zumba class. Thanks,Pat

• 8 months later...

I'm a 46 year old single woman who has been living permanently in Lakeside for a year. I am not in to the bar scene, only drink on occasion (don't mind others who drink lightly, socially), smoke or do drugs. I work from home and would love to meet other younger, non-retired people who work full time yet still want to make time to socialize.

I'd be willing to organize a weekly get together at a central location Lakeside (evening or weekends) for those who are under 55ish and working and looking to meet others with a similar non-retired lifestyle.

Areas of interest might range from urban walks to trips to Guad for exploring to book groups to computer or work networking.

Please let me know if you are interested!

Marina

I'm a 46 year old single woman who has been living permanently in Lakeside for a year. I am not in to the bar scene, only drink on occasion (don't mind others who drink lightly, socially), smoke or do drugs. I work from home and would love to meet other younger, non-retired people who work full time yet still want to make time to socialize.

I'd be willing to organize a weekly get together at a central location Lakeside (evening or weekends) for those who are under 55ish and working and looking to meet others with a similar non-retired lifestyle.

Areas of interest might range from urban walks to trips to Guad for exploring to book groups to computer or work networking.

Marina

I am definitely interested, and have a few friends that would probably be interested too!

There is a young'er' crowd here. I'm kind of in the middle at 55 and what the pevious poster said about no seperation between the generations is true. I've met some of the youngest 'older' people I've ever known! If you get a chance to go and see the Tall Boys when they play at local resturaunts you will find a good mix of younger and older 'youngters'!

Forgot to mention I am from the U.S. (but currently taking Spanish classes...so I can speak some Spanish).

I will look in to a good place to meet. Anyone who is interested, please let me know what day/time of the week would work best for you.

I'm thinking Thursday eves 7-9pm. something like that.

Like today there is a scheduled meet and greet, maybe there?

Also try joining the facebook group expats in mexico. A lot of the members are in their 20s and 30s and some live in the guadalajara area. There are thousands of American/Mexican couples moving to Mexico from the states though many settle near border towns. I know there is a group in the guadalajara area for sure.

Marina

I'd be interested in meeting a non retired crowd.

Archived