Chapala.com Webboard

Las Quekas del Abuelo - Quesadilla Bar - Ajijic

jkgourmet

With another couple, we stopped in for dinner and drinks at the newly opened Las Quekas Quesadilla Bar. The first room is a small bar and several very low couches, which overall reminded me of a wine bar. I don't know how useful that space will be for the owner, but it is attractive.

There are also a couple of small tables inside that room, but we ventured towards the garden in the back. Again, only a few tables, but a pretty area. Service provided by (I believe) the owner and his wife was friendly and sincerely interested that we enjoyed our food and drinks. These people care, and it shows.

The menu is entirely in Spanish, which makes it hard for us uneducated Gringo's, as the owner's have some difficulty translating. Luckily, two of our group speak very good Spanish and ordered for us. Las Quekas has a small menu consisting of about ten different quesadilla's, chicken wings, sope's, taco's and a few other items. The also have four combination platters, each large enough to feed two or four, depending on which one you order, at prices ranging from 80 pesos to 120 pesos. We ordered two of these, and appreciated the owner said it might be too much food. We smilled, thanked them, and said 'bring it on.'

And they did. We ended up tasting at least 8 of the ten varieties of quesadillas - I think that the most popular was the meat varieties and the poblano, though they all were very good. Different than quesadillas that we are used to in the states - these were really more like empanada's. At 12 pesos each (when ordered by themselves), they are not large, but definitely have a lot of taste packed into them. Not at all greasy or oily, and good quality ingredients.

The sopes were larger than others we have had, and included beans and cheese and I don't know what else. I'm not a bean fan, so these were my least favorite. But others at the table really enjoyed them. The wings were a surprise - very tasty and crunchy, freshly cooked and moist. Small wings, but a treat.

Margarita's were freshly made and excellent - served in martini glasses which added a little class, I thought. We enjoyed our wine by the glass - 35 peso's, I think.

We saw the taco's on someone else's table - they were the rolled version covered in crumbled white cheese.

This is an interesting place with caring, hardworking owners and some different choices on the menu than we generally find. Do stop in for a light snack or lunch, or dinner that you might order as we did - as if it were a tapas place.

Location: on Colon just south of Bancomer - next to Zebra Jewelry Store. Sorry, I don't know the hours, but they seem to be always open when we walk by.

My husband and I just had lunch at this restaurant today. The bar area is lovely, with comfortable sofas and interesting art on the walls, and would be perfect for a relaxing before-dinner glass of wine. We ate out on the patio in the back, cute little garden area with three tables. The "quesadillas" are like deep-fried, puffy flour tortillas (but not greasy) and filled with a variety of fillings. We tried four kinds: the Picadillo (spicy chicken), Flores de Calabasas (zucchini flower, wonderful!), smokey shredded beef and shredded chicken (each costing 12 pesos). All are covered with shredded lettuce and a white creamy-type sauce. A side order of whole tiny new potatoes flavored in lime juice and chili powder are included. The friendly owners come from Mexico City and said this is the typical quesadilla of their area. She patiently explained each menu item to us with obvious pride. Her husband is the chef and they have been open for only three weeks. So we had four quesadillas (more than enough for the two of us) and two glasses of tasty mint iced tea and the total cost was 72 pesos. Please give this place a try, we really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

We've now eaten at this place twice and have had a chance to try much of the menu.

The quesadillas are unlike any others we've seen and according to Silvia (co-owner with husband Sergio) they're a specialty of Mexico City. The shape is like a taco, but the batter is a mixture of corn and wheat flour that is very light and delicate. Browned and crisp on the outside, tender on the inside. Two quesadillas would make a light lunch, three a more substantial but still not heavy meal. The tinga de pollo is a delicious moderately picante chipotle-flavored stew; rajas de chile poblano are mild yet flavorful; flor de calabaza (squash blossoms) and potato with chorizo were also big hits with our group.

The tacos ahogada are filled with slow-cooked beef and are also moderately spicy but flavorful; the chilaquiles are excellent but quite picante.

The place has a really nice ambiance, with cool indoor seating and three tables with umbrellas outside. Full bar, good beer choices, some wines as well. Silvia will be your host and speaks very good English; she's happy to explain the menu. The service we've experienced here has been among the warmest of any at Lakeside.

This small place is a real find in Ajijic, which otherwise doesn't have any sit-down Mexican restaurants with nice ambiance (i.e. we don't have anything that compares with Mario's in San Antonio, Cinco Potrillos in Ixtlahuacan or Viva México/Tia Lupita in San Juan Cosalá). It's a much more limited menu than the aforementioned places but everything they do is unique for the area, making it an even more welcome addition. I really hope they make it!

The hours are 9 to 9 everyday but Tuesday. Address is Colon #16.

We had a wonderful meal at this new restaurant last night. Husband and I had 5 different quesadillas and agreed they were all excellent. Service was great; Silvia spoke very good english and offered us a menu in english - we stayed with the spanish menu and she was very helpful in assisting us. All the quesadillas were very flavorful, fresh and light. 5 quesadillas and two glasses of a very good spanish red wine came to 130p. We highly recommend Las Quekas del Abuelo!

Went to Las Quekas Quesadilla Bar today for lunch and had 2 Quesadillas each today.

We tried flor de calabaza (squash blossoms) the potato with chorizo, shredded beef one and tinga de pollo which was a bit spicy, they are fried, at $12p a piece and beers were $15p great deal we left full, the lady that runs the place was very friendly. After we ordered our food it arrived within 5 minutes, very fast. There was 1 other table there eating when we got there.

There was not 1 fly or mosquito in the place and we sat out back in the Jardin.

Highly recommend and we will be back for sure.

Also ate here for the first time this afternoon and this place is special.

We ordered one of the Paquettes. A combination with your choice of 4 Quesadillas, chicken wings (alitas), some potatoes and peppers. That plus a limonada and Te Helado totalled 102 pesos.

Food was terrific and tasty, lovely owners, just great all the way around. We tried the Flor de Calabaza, Tinga de Pollo, Rajas, and I forget which was the fourth.

Just great. Going back soon and often. Try it!

• 2 weeks later...

Without a doubt, the best form and taste of a quesadilla! Sergio and Silvia the owners and hosts were superb. We are bringing a group for a version of their sampler platter tonight before heading off for the TallBoys show at Restaurant Bar La Tasca, on the lakeshore. Photos from our frist visit...

5041955433_929e7fec93.jpg

5042580328_825a9014ac.jpg

5041955573_2db9278d70.jpg

Returned today with two friends: had different quesadillas and one person had chilaquiles. That one said they reached the limit of his spicy capacity (and he's a former Texan), but said it was good. The quesadillas were prepared to our individual tastes; mine were mild. Everyone was very happy.

The bill for two our us, including a Bohemia beer and a limonada, along with 6 quesadillas, was 97 pesos.

This place is a winner! Double Yum award: cheap eats category :P :P

I'm really happy to see all the positive comments about this place.

My wife and I eat local Mexican food about 80% of the time when we eat out, and though we're not into eating habanero chiles out-of-hand we have a fairly high hot food tolerance.

The chilaquiles at Las Quekas pegged my wife's meter, and nothing we've had there has been less than picante, so I'm glad to read Gringal's post about them willingly dialing things back. Next time we eat there we'll suggest they offer the picante green salsa automatically put on the quesadillas off to the side. Not trying to "gringo-ize" the place, but I can't think of any Mexican place locally, including the street stands, where every item arrives already revved-up.

Not complaining, just want these guys to thrive and feel like doing what it takes to appeal to as broad as possible a spectrum of locals, Tapatios and gringos is key.

I want them to succeed, too, so that's why I asked the gracious lady the first time if I could have the heat dialed down next time.

If I can't get the food past my tongue........it won't get any better further down. Especially waaay down. :010:

Glad you like it, Kevin.

BTW. I see than the title line says "Quesadilla Bar". Actually, they will serve you at tables, both in the building and also out in the patio under umbrellas. Tables will seat four.

My wife and I ate there today, along with our dog, on the patio in the back. Before going in, we asked if it would be okay and said it would since they had no other customers at the time. We introduced ourselves to Sylvia and her husband, Sergio, and were really surprised at her excellent English.

Based on everyone's comments, we started with the chicken soup and two spoons. The serving was the size of a large cup with lots of tender chickn floating at the bottom. The broth, though, was outstanding. It had a good chicken falvor and just the slightest kick to it. Not real spicy but real delicious. ($15 pesos)

We decided to share the Tortolos Platter which came with 4 quesadillas, 10 chicken wings, and chambray potatoes. Our choices were the chicken, the squash blossom, the shredded beef, and the potato and chorizo quesdaillas. ($80 pesos)To some of your dismay, we ordered our dog a shredded beef quesadilla but without the lettuce or sauce. ($12 pesos).

Sylvia brought the diet coke ($10 pesos) and the ice tea ($12 pesos) and then the soup. While we were eating it, she asked if we wanted the quesadilla for our pet, since it was ready, and we said that we did. It looked great and she brought it out on a styrofoam plate.

Shortly afterwards, out came the platter and it looked fantastic. The quesadillas were certainly unlike any other we have had before and were the best we ever had. We were not asked if we wanted them spicy or not and, I guess from some of the previous posts, except for the chicken, they had no spice whatsoever. There was lettuce and a white sauce along with the main ingredient but no green, or any other kind, of picante sauce. All four flavors we tried were very good.

The potatoes were tiny red ones served cold along with some lime wedges. We figured it was supposed to be something like a potato salad but without all the ingredients added to it. They were tender but did need the lime, and a little salt, to make them flavorable.

What got to me, in particular, were the chicken wings. They were a good size, crispy on the outside, and moist and tender on the inside. In our opinion, the best we have had at lakeside.

Sylvia was an excellent waitress and host. She checked with us continually if we needed anything else and how the food was. When she saw our drinks had lost most of their ice, she came out with a cute silver bucket with ice and tongs and said to help ourselves. When we were all finished eating, she even brought the dog a plastic bowl full of water. Afterwards, we all carried on a conversation about her chihuahua, the bird in the cage near the patio, and other things. We could not have asked for a more congenial person.

The bill came to $129 pesos and we left $150 which we thought was worth it for the quality of the food and service. As others have stated, this place is a winner.

One tiny suggestion if you go there. Ask for about half of the white sauce they put on the quesadillas. We had quite a bit and it did detract from the main flavors. When we go again, and we certainly will, that is what we will do along with asking for a little of the green sauce on the side as Sally likes her food plain while I like just a little spice to mine.

My wife and I ate there today, along with our dog, on the patio in the back. Before going in, we asked if it would be okay and said it would since they had no other customers at the time.

I surely hope you weren't trying to be subtle. Lol. :rolleyes:

However, you did give a nice plug to the place and the people. They deserve it.

We brought another couple for lunch and had the owners make a large platter of assorted halved quesadillas so we and our quests could sample most of the different types and flavors; a big hit as we suspected. We'll all be back. The owners spoke in spanish for one of our guests, a dentist from Mexico City, and he too raved about the food, and knew of one other location in Mexico City that served this style of quesadilla. What a treat to have this place along with owners Sergio and Silvia in Ajijic.

• 1 month later...

I have eaten there twice and have found the picante flavor very nice. I don't like really hot food and was pleased with the quesadillas I ordered. I ordered the papa and queso and the queso. May be they are milder to begin with.

They will fix the quesadillas to your taste. Just let them know.

I hope they prosper here.

We stopped in on Saturday, about 2:30, had the mixed plate for two, a couple glasses of wine and a diet cola. We always enjoy the quesadillas, the deppfried dough makes a whole different experience, the wings are meaty, the tacitos have crunch an flavor.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I just had another delightful lunch in the garden at Las Quekas. I won't try to improve upon all the accolades of my fellow gringos expressed in this thread - about the wonderful authentic mexican cuisine - not to mention the garden atmosphere and amazing prices! Instead, let me implore you again to support this wonderful restaurant and their owners Sylvia and Sergio.

It is abundantly clear to us that this restaurant is soon going to be lost to us, unless business picks up substantially and quickly....... unless more of us gringos widen their gastronomic tendencies every now and then, beyond the Tangos and El Jardin's of the world. So do yourselves a favor the next time you choose a restaurant in Ajijic. Give Las Quekas a try. You will not regret it. I guarantee you!

You will find Sylvia and Sergio just a few doors south from Bancomer on Colon in Ajijic. Tell them Terry and LuAnn sent you!

Buen Provecho!!

I'm up in Las Vegas, due back lakeside soon, and salivate thinking about Las Quekas in Ajijic. I enjoyed the food and the owners immensely.

Archived