Chapala.com Webboard

Hole In One - San Antonio

jkgourmet

No question that the kitchen is slow (the waitstaff if just fine). For better or worse, Erik, the very young chef, insists on preparing each dish to order.

As I've previously posted, if a long wait for food is going to ruin your evening, you will not enjoy the hole in one. And that's perfectly reasonable, especially given that the ambience is zero. As for us, we have enjoyed the food, the low priced wine list and the earnest attempt of everyone involved in this business to bring something new to the lakeside dining scene.

I do not think the kitchen will change this policy. At least, not until Erik leaves for Spain in december (as he is hoping to do).

It is what it is. It's a tiny kitchen and Erik personally prepares each dish, I like it. Who knows if Pancho will even replace Erik? I'd be happy for it to be a summertime restaurant each year, or a place where aspiring culinary school students can practice on a small scale. A few years ago in a small town east of Malaga Spain we happened into the restaurant of a culinary school. The food and service was superb and it was fun to see the students trying so hard to be "professional."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting perspective. We were there at the same time (I remember your party of six). Three of us ordered lamb shank, which by any measure was spectacular, and one seafood risotto, which was reported to be wonderful. As for the service, we enjoy going out for the entire evening, and believe that a decent wait between courses is essential for conversation with friends. It certainly is not fast food (there are other places which you could try for that). And, as Jeanette says, the chef prepares everything to order, which is essential to the quality of the food.

As I have said, I believe this to be the best food Lakeside. If I had something else to do in the evening I would go to a fast food place and suffer a dish kept under a heat lamp. Just my opinion, of course.

Curmudgeon, you are so francais. LOL.

Does anyone have a telephone number to Hole in One? I need to request a change to an existing reservation and am trying to avoid a drive over, if I can.

Thanks in advance!

Telephone is: 376 6 44 77 ------- elholeinone@hotmail.com

Does anyone have a telephone number to Hole in One? I need to request a change to an existing reservation and am trying to avoid a drive over, if I can.

Thanks in advance!

if check the other subforum - lakeside restaurants - they have published their menu and their phone number.

Four of us had a 7 pm reservation tonight, and the service was fine. We had drinks, appetizers, meals and desserts and were out before 9:30. It is an amazing experience to enjoy gourmet meals while watching young people trying to hit golf balls, with TV's playing in the background. Hard to explain to anyone who has never visited Mexico, but, for those of us who live here, just another day.

Don't avoid this great restaurant because some people had poor service. The food is magnificent and the presentation is classy.

Four of us had a 7 pm reservation tonight, and the service was fine. We had drinks, appetizers, meals and desserts and were out before 9:30. It is an amazing experience to enjoy gourmet meals while watching young people trying to hit golf balls, with TV's playing in the background. Hard to explain to anyone who has never visited Mexico, but, for those of us who live here, just another day.

Don't avoid this great restaurant because some people had poor service. The food is magnificent and the presentation is classy.

Amen. We were there last night also. Special treats were the Ossobuco and Szechuan Mahi Mahi. Fantastic food.

As for the ambiance, we love it. As you said, kids hitting golf balls, etc makes it very relaxed and entertaining. Exactly why we moved to Mexico in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

The two of us had the fillet dish there last night, prepared by young Eric, the aspiring chef. It was simply superb and for 110 pesos, a real bargain IMO. We also had the crab on Spinach starter and the lemon desert, both absolutely wonderful.

The price of a memorable meal,with tip, came to 550 pesos a great bargain IMO for this level of quality. We are sure going to miss this young man when he goes to culinary school in Spain in December.

On edit, wine was 24 pesos per generous glass. Very reasonable IMO.

Call first to determine if Eric is cooking, then go!

Add four more to the list of fans this restaurant is generating. Went Saturday and we all had lamb shanks. Absolutely the best I've had in years and perfectly cooked vegetables. Presentation of the main course and the deserts was superb and we couldn't fault the service at all. We're definitely going back again, maybe for the Osso Buco next time. Oh, and the wine was very palatable and a generous glass.

The two of us had the fillet dish there last night, prepared by young Eric, the aspiring chef. It was simply superb and for 110 pesos, a real bargain IMO. We also had the crab on Spinach starter and the lemon desert, both absolutely wonderful.

The price of a memorable meal,with tip, came to 550 pesos a great bargain IMO for this level of quality. We are sure going to miss this young man when he goes to culinary school in Spain in December.

On edit, wine was 24 pesos per generous glass. Very reasonable IMO.

Call first to determine if Eric is cooking, then go!

From what Eric told us a few weeks ago, he is ALWAYS cooking on Sat, Sun and Monday nights. He stops in for Martini night. He may or may not do brunch. But dinner Sat, Sun & Monday are his. And I'm damned glad to be there any of those nights that I can! :D

Well, back we went yesterday afternoon for the wine tasting and yet another superb meal. Eric's tutor from GDL was there and they were on a roll. We started with a lamb kabab "Morroco" starter that was succulent pieces of lamb in a very tasty and flaky pastry wrapper accompanied by pineapple and tomato. I had mahi-mahi, glazed and broiled, my wife had the steak, also broiled and wrapped. We finished with a chocolate mousse. Total including tip was 570 pesos for starter, two main courses, and one dessert plus several glasses of wine each.

Really, really exceptional food and competent service.

He told us that he was applying for an apprentice like program in Valencia Spain. They accept 4 out of the 400 applicants. His grades, recommendations, and experience at number 4 and HO would make his acceptance very very likely. He said this would take him to spain in December.

What a wonderful opportunity for this very nice, hardworking young man!!!

(I have also heard from others that he is considering turning the scholarship down to stay with HO and 'play out' its success. I hope that turns out to be inaccurate or somebody at his school knocks some sense into his head. It would be a loss to the dining scene in lakeside, but far better for his career to go.)

Only those copies purchased at Super Lake.

Hmm, we pick up a copy there every Saturday - I guess it's an insert that they don't insert into every paper. . .

Thank you again, Bournemouth, for posting the menu's in the Events folder. And yes, the prices have increased, now for essentially the same dishes. The fillet with the same sides and prep - from 95 to 140 pesos. The lamb shank from 120 to 140 pesos. And some kind of prime rib at 250 pesos (I had the prime rib on a prior visit, I think it was a different preparation, and can't say it was what I was expecting. . . good piece of meat though).

Still, I'm really glad we were here when this place was 'at its prime.' But now it may be nearing the price range of other restaurants with (IMO) more ambiance. We've also noticed that the crowd on Mondays is thin. It will be interesting to hear what happens here over the next few months.

At the risk of getting totally flamed, we went there while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. It is certainly the place to be seen rather than eating. In by 6:00 out by 9:00. Wouldn't want to go there hungry. Had the mahi-mahi, dry and tough, small serving. Wife had the fillet, which was very nice, and she enjoyed. Chefs(?) running around greeting everyone they know and paying no attention to the kitchen. For the price, mediocre food and very sloooow service.

Went to "Viva Mexico" the next day. Excellent food at good prices and very competent service.

Yes, the food @ Hole In One does do a nice presentation for their meals, however I justed wanted to let everyone know about what we felt was a "little underhanded" by this Rest.

Had Sunday brunch @ Hole In One this last week. Was served very small cups of coffee with the meal and the Server was on the ball to make sure we were offered coffee refills when he noticed our empty coffee cups. Low and behold, we I got the bill after the meal I was charged 48 P.s for the coffee (16 x 3)

When I asked him why I was charged for three cups of coffee and not informed that refills were charged full price his answer was, "I did not tell you about full charges for coffee refills because everybody knows we charge for refills". I then informed him this was my first time here for breakfast and I did not know of this policy.

In addition, when I asked why it took so long to get my "refills" the Server explained that they make the coffee "one cup at a time" because a coffee pot is too expensive of an item for the Rest. at this time.

I did notice from a Chapala Web.Board that someone had mentioned that "Hole-In-One has gone up in price while serving smaller portions". Wake up people! We may be dumb but we're not stupid! Ya start trying to take advantage of people and YOU WILL LOSE THEIR BUSINESS.

Is this perceived to be too much time or too little? As a European, this is about right and what I would expect to enjoy a meal with friends. There are many other places for fast food .....

I think "that depends". If it's a beautiful environment with very comfortable seating, then sitting for three hours could be enjoyable. In that particular environment.....perhaps not.

I don't think "fast food" would apply to a nice restaurant (Roberto's, for example) where the wait staff doesn't rush people, but they don't make the diners wait three hours to have their meal served. If they want to sit around and chat or have an after dinner drink, that's fine with the management.

The question is whether the situation re Hole in One is about giving the diners a "European experience" or is simply lack of organization.

'

Saturday and Sunday, 8:00AM to noon, but they will serve until about 1:00PM when they have to start preparing for dinner.

Went for brunch yesterday. I had the eggs benedict and my husband had the fritata. Both were excellent. Great coffee also. The waiter stopped by many times asking if my husband wanted more coffe or if I wanted more ice tea. SURPRISE~!~ When the bill came we had been charged for 3 cups (small cups) of coffee at 16 pesos each and 2 glasses (very weak) ice tea. We had no idea you payed for addtional coffee or ice tea. When we asked the waiter about it, his response was that each cup of coffee is made to order on an espresso machine. He said he has asked the owner to get a coffee pot to brew coffee, but the owner is too cheap. Those were his words.

No more breakfast/brunch for us there....even though I find the food very good just on principal. I like a mug not a cup of coffee and I resent paying for addtional cups.

I like the Illy coffee at Hole-in-One and don't mind paying for each delicious cup. I never got a free refill at Starbucks or Seattle's Best for any of their over-priced coffee. I like the food at Hole-in-One and won't let the "no free refill" policy deter me.

Archived