Chapala.com Webboard

Traditional Mexican Restaurant?

411guy

If Chapala: El Zapote on Morelos near the square (a cenaduria but open for Mexican lunch starting at 2 as well as dinner). Classic pre-Hispanic food, simple, nice atmosphere, clean. All antojitos (tacos, sopes, enchiiladas) with exceptional pozole and carne in su jugo.

San Antonio: Mario's on Ramon Corona near the square. All the classic dishes, very nice atmosphere (indoor and outdoor seating), gracious service, family-run. Many classic dishes. We especially enjoy the pollo deshebrada alla Mexicana (shredded chicken with tomatoes, chile and onion), the seafood specials (whole red snapper is great) and the birria. Great aguas frescas.

Where is Hole in the Wall? Thanks

On Hidalgo in Ajijic. It is about 3 1/2 blocks down from the bank in the plaza. It is a pink and blue building on your left.

Monday night they serve tamales, empanadas, tostadoes and taquitos. Tues night is pozole and sopes and Sturday night is tamales and a few other things. It is closed the rest of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

The food at el Serape isn't very Mexican. About 3 blocks west of it on the same side is a more authentic one. Called Fonda Dona Lola?

My fav is El Serape

El Serape, Hole in the Wall and Fonda Dona Lola are all good places within 3 blocks of each other, about 3-5 blocks west of Ajijic square. If you're staying in Ajijic w/o a car you can easily walk to all 3.

Hole in the Wall is an experience not to be missed. Very unique, great food, just very limited. I believe tamales are 7 pesos and empanadas are 5 or 6 pesos. Think the beer is around 14 pesos. Since I live nearby I often get their food to go.

El Serape has good food, usually not crowded, friendly. To me it's a bit Tex-Mex. English spoken.

But Fonda Dona Lola is my favorite. Big, open air, friendly, authentic Mx feel (to me). English spoken. The chili rellenos for 36 pesos ("soft" and huge) and a 12 peso beer means I'm in there once a week. Chicken molé is also a favorite. Across from the big car wash. Closes at 4 or 5 pm, and on Thursdays.

El Serape, Hole in the Wall and Fonda Dona Lola are all good places within 3 blocks of each other, about 3-5 blocks west of Ajijic square. If you're staying in Ajijic w/o a car you can easily walk to all 3.

Hole in the Wall is an experience not to be missed. Very unique, great food, just very limited. I believe tamales are 7 pesos and empanadas are 5 or 6 pesos. Think the beer is around 14 pesos. Since I live nearby I often get their food to go.

El Serape has good food, usually not crowded, friendly. To me it's a bit Tex-Mex. English spoken.

But Fonda Dona Lola is my favorite. Big, open air, friendly, authentic Mx feel (to me). English spoken. The chili rellenos for 36 pesos ("soft" and huge) and a 12 peso beer means I'm in there once a week. Chicken molé is also a favorite. Across from the big car wash. Closes at 4 or 5 pm, and on Thursdays.

Denver, Fonda Dona Lola for me too. Love that place, Wonderful waiters great food and beyond reasonable prices. I love their western omelet for breakfast. Actually it is not a Western omelet, it is just whatever they have in the kitchen that day and you get a little of everything, served with frijoles or papas, warmed fresh bread for, I think 35 pesos. Their pozole is wonderful comes in three sizes and I love it, it comes with all of the spices so you can season it to your taste. Once I found out that they sold their incredible guacamole in half liters and liters as well as their fantastic Mexican salsa with fried tortilla chips for a price that I cannot make them at home I am sold on this place and have been for five years. I need to stop, although I could go on. Terry

Could you give some detailed directions to Los Cinco Potrillos? Times/days the place is open. I've been meaning to try the place. Thanks in advance.

Head out of Chapala/Ajijic over the mountain toward Guadalajara. As you descend, you will see Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos on your left and the quince and honey stands on your right. Keep to the right, as though you were going to stop and buy something at the stands, which isn't a bad idea. You will proceed through an underground 'retorno' below the highway, reversing your direction. Keep right and enter Ixtlahuacan through the arches (there may still be construction detours). Proceed one block beyond the church and turn left at the first street which permits a left turn. Then, park or turn left again and park in front of the restaurant, which is on the left, across from a bike shop.

Could you give some detailed directions to Los Cinco Potrillos? Times/days the place is open. I've been meaning to try the place. Thanks in advance.

I see that RVGringo has already supplied the directions. Here is their phone number so you can call and ask their hours, days open, etc. 762-1779 (a local call from Lakeside)

Archived