Chapala.com Webboard

Great Indian Food

luisa

The discussion about Paul Bhalla's restaurant in Guadalajara has disappeared so I'm starting this discussion for those who are looking for good Indian food. It is MUCH better than Goa and no comparison to the Lakeside restaurants that have Indian nights. Expect to pay between $200 and $350 for a complete meal; soup, small salad, lentils, raita, tandoori naan, pila rice and the main dish

Here are the hours and contact information from the Guadalajara Reporter: "Bhalla opens from 1 p.m. and closes when the last person leaves. On weekends he is sometimes still serving food at midnight. Parking is available on the street in front of the restaurant. It is located in the Colonia Providencia at Pablo Neruda 2715. Reservations can be made at (33) 3817-6582. English is spoken, not only by Bhalla but also by most of the staff."

The discussion about Paul Bhalla's restaurant in Guadalajara has disappeared so I'm starting this discussion for those who are looking for good Indian food. It is MUCH better than Goa and no comparison to the Lakeside restaurants that have Indian nights. Expect to pay between $200 and $350 for a complete meal; soup, small salad, lentils, raita, tandoori naan, pila rice and the main dish

Here are the hours and contact information from the Guadalajara Reporter: "Bhalla opens from 1 p.m. and closes when the last person leaves. On weekends he is sometimes still serving food at midnight. Parking is available on the street in front of the restaurant. It is located in the Colonia Providencia at Pablo Neruda 2715. Reservations can be made at (33) 3817-6582. English is spoken, not only by Bhalla but also by most of the staff."

There is no denying that the food is good,but we believe it is over-priced nonetheless.

Two of us ate there for Ps 890, with no alcohol and no dessert. Tip was extra.

There is no denying that the food is good,but we believe it is over-priced nonetheless.

Two of us ate there for Ps 890, with no alcohol and no dessert. Tip was extra.

I'm not disputing your charge, but I'd like to know what you ordered. Two of us ate there recently, ordering two complete dinners and our bill including alcohol (two beers each) was quit a bit less than $890.

I'm not disputing your charge, but I'd like to know what you ordered. Two of us ate there recently, ordering two complete dinners and our bill including alcohol (two beers each) was quit a bit less than $890.

As I recall we had two full dinners, several Lhassis and two orders of nan.

Just to compare,we went the following day to Chez Nene,a place most people on this board consider to be outrageously priced. We had two full meals with wine and one dessert. The total tab was Ps. 580 without tip.

just to compare,we went the following day to Chez Nene,a place most people on this board consider to be outrageously priced. We had two full meals with wine and one dessert. The total tab was Ps. 580 without tip.

This is the issue--anyone who thinks that $48 USD is "outrageously priced" is not someone who shares my restaurant values. I'm not disagreeing with jailbait, it appears that most of the posters here would consider $48 USD to be too much to pay for a nice meal for 2.

I don't consider the cost of either Chez Nene or Paul Bhalla's to be high for the value received and I hesitate to take restaurant advice from anyone who does.

This is the issue--anyone who thinks that $48 USD is "outrageously priced" is not someone who shares my restaurant values. I'm not disagreeing with jailbait, it appears that most of the posters here would consider $48 USD to be too much to pay for a nice meal for 2.

I don't consider the cost of either Chez Nene or Paul Bhalla's to be high for the value received and I hesitate to take restaurant advice from anyone who does.

Where did you read $48US for two? I read $890mx for two.

Where did you read $48US for two? I read $890mx for two.

Your Paul Bhalla bill was $74.17 at an exchange rate of 12 pesos to 1 USD. The meals come with naan and lassis are typically on the expensive side, more than alcohol. (FYI, Secret Garden makes a good lassi and they are very easy to make at home.)

Your Chez Nene bill was $48.00. This is the restaurant that you said was "outrageously expensive" by most of the board's readers.

Many of us have to draw the line, regardless of what others might consider a fair price for 'whatever'. We look for good, honest food at reasonable prices and try to stay under 100 pesos each, whenever possible. Remember, there are restaurants in Ajijic and Guadalajara which attempt to attract the 'rich and infamous' but often fail to survive because we lesser mortals simply ignore their existence. Then, there are a few really good places where the 'snooty' don't go, but which have been in business for half a century serving consistently good international plates. Have you ever wondered why one has to leave Ajijic to find good Mexican food, or why Mexican diners generally avoid eating at restaurants popular with expats?

Yesterday afternoon, my ladyfriend and myself, dined at 'Goa' on Lopez Cotilla. We sat outside watching all the cyclists taking advantage

of the Sunday road closures. Most pleasant.

I am not going to suggest that Goa is the best restaurant in the area, but I go there fairly often ( it is only one block from my apartment)

It attracts a younger crowd than the more expensive eateries and therefore a lively atmosphere.

My friend ordered the chicken Tika masala with yellow rice and I, the very spicy chicken Vindaloo. To wash it all down a bottle of ice

cold Argentinian chenin blanc.

The total cost including the wine 360 pesos.................Um .............What is that in US dollars??

Yesterday afternoon, my ladyfriend and myself, dined at 'Goa' on Lopez Cotilla. We sat outside watching all the cyclists taking advantage

of the Sunday road closures. Most pleasant.

I am not going to suggest that Goa is the best restaurant in the area, but I go there fairly often ( it is only one block from my apartment)

It attracts a younger crowd than the more expensive eateries and therefore a lively atmosphere.

My friend ordered the chicken Tika masala with yellow rice and I, the very spicy chicken Vindaloo. To wash it all down a bottle of ice

cold Argentinian chenin blanc.

The total cost including the wine 360 pesos.................Um .............What is that in US dollars??

We've eaten at Goa many times. The food is very good,prices reasonable.

Archived