Chapala.com Webboard

Mochajete

Bisbee Gal

We've had really great mochajetes in Guadalajara, Tonola, Tlaquepaque and El Rosario. The ones we've sampled thusfar at Lakeside are packed with cheese. The ones we've eaten elsewhere are in a soupy/stewy broth.

Is there a place at Lakeside that makes non-cheesey mochajetes?

We've had really great mochajetes in Guadalajara, Tonola, Tlaquepaque and El Rosario. The ones we've sampled thusfar at Lakeside are packed with cheese. The ones we've eaten elsewhere are in a soupy/stewy broth.

Is there a place at Lakeside that makes non-cheesey mochajetes?

For the best Molcajete in the area go to to CUBA on Vicente Guerrero in Jocotepec.

I'm a bit confused here. I thought that the Molcajetes was a mortar and pestle kitchen tool.

Is mochajetes different?

I believe it is the name for both the vessel and the recipe. But what do I know....I certainly didn't even come close to spelling it right!

The best we've ever had was the Shrimp Molcajete at the Hotel Yauco in El Rosario, just south of Mazatlan. The ones we've had in the Guad area were all similar to each other...either meat, chicken or seafood in a reddish broth/sauce. Not a speck of cheese!

I've been doing some online research for a recipe and this one is the most common (note the cheese is optional). And seafood can be substituted for the meat/pollo:

Mexican Style Meat and Vegetable Stew - Azteca's Molcajete

SERVES 6

Ingredients

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips

8 ounces beef, such as flank steak, cut into strips

1 slice thick-cut meaty bacon

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 cups boiling water

2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules

1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule

15 ounces tomato sauce

16 ounces small mushrooms, cut in halves

1/2 cup chopped fresh sweet onion

2 teaspoons minced roasted garlic

1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder

1 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar

1 teaspoon dry sherry

1/4 teaspoon butter

1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce, to taste

salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste

grated monterey jack cheese, optional for garnish

chopped scallion, for garnish

chopped jalapenos, for garnish (optional)

1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into slices, for garnish

Directions

1Fry the bacon in a large skillet until crispy; remove from pan, reserving drippings, cut into small pieces, and set aside.

2Add the oil to the bacon drippings over medium temperature, then sauté the chicken and beef strips until browned, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.

3In another large saucepan over medium heat, stir together the boiling water and bouillon granules until dissolved.

4Add remaining ingredients (including reserved bacon) and the cooked meat strips, and simmer for 10 minutes.

5Garnish, serve, and enjoy!

6Note: to make the seafood version of Azteca's Molcajete, omit the chicken/beef and instead have 1/2 pound shelled and deveined shrimp, 1/2 pound scallops, and as much skinned and deboned whitefish fillet pieces as you'd like (about 1/4 pound or more) which you will add in during the last 5 minutes of cooking.

Archived