Chapala.com Webboard

Thirsty Turtle

diannagail

Guest Gringal
Hey! Learn to speak Spanish since that is the language of this country, then you can at least complain properly.

I ate there this past summer while visiting and enjoyed the rib eyes and beer.

Oh, oh, another "Speak Spanish" snipe. <_< No argument from me that it's a is a good thing to do so, BUT:

This is a restaurant with the name "THIRSTY TURTLE" is big letters on the front. That's English. I believe the menus are in English. The person with the gristleburger had a reasonable expectation of finding someone to complain to who could understand him. I mean, I just looked in my thick Spanish dictionary and do not find a word for "gristle". So, what can you say: "Hamburguesa con piedras?" Huh?

I haven't eaten there lately, but noticed today in passing that there aren't as many cars out front. Are they on vacation or is business just slowing down for the reason mentioned?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PULEEZE. Not another "Speak Spanish" dose. <_< No argument about whether it is a good thing to do so, BUT:

This is a restaurant with the name "THIRSTY TURTLE" is big letters on the front. That's English. I believe the menus are in English. The person with the gristleburger had a reasonable expectation of finding someone to complain to who could understand him. I mean, I just looked in my thick Spanish dictionary and do not find a word for "gristle". So, what can you say: "Hamburguesa con piedras?" Huh?

I haven't eaten there lately, but noticed today in passing that there aren't as many cars out front. Are they on vacation or is business just slowing down for the reason mentioned?

La palabra "gristle" es "cartilago."

Guest Gringal
La palabra "gristle" es "cartilago."

Gracias. Now we all know how to complain properly. Now let's see if the owner "gets it", in Spanish or English.

IMO, one of the most cartilago-free burgers in town is at....Pedro's. Good meat.

I haven't eaten at 60's since the ownership change but when Rick Fisher owned the place there wasn't any gristle in the beef! That's one of the reasons the place was so wildly successful under his and Heidi's ownership.

FYI- - -Rick and Heidi are opening up a breakfast place on Ocampo next to LM Computer. Big place. I saw the menu and there's going to be real eggs benedict with homemade holandaise sauce! Rick says he should be open in mid January.

That location is the old Melanies.

Guest Willard
Hey! Learn to speak Spanish since that is the language of this country, then you can at least complain properly.

I ate there this past summer while visiting and enjoyed the rib eyes and beer.

This has been gone over ad nauseum but since you might be a true newbie- - - -if a restaurant opens that caters exclusively to gringos (as the Turtle does) and it actually wants to succeed rather than travel down the well trod path to failure, then it really behooves that restaurant to have a wait staff that can at least communicate in restaurant English. Most of us who've lived here for awhile can do restaurant Spanish as in being able to communicate what we want. In most successful gringo orientated restaurants one can at least point to an item on the menu and the wait person will know what they want. Not necessarily so at the Turtle. The bottom line is that if the gringo that owns the Turtle wants to hang around and succeed in a totally gringo orientated place then it's a good idea to 1) serve decent meat which it hasn't been of late and 2) have some members of the wait staff on duty at all times when the place is open.

Statistically, only 16% of those who try to learn Spanish ever succeed on a conversational basis. For you to come on here and chastise others for not being able to speak Spanish shows your ignorance. Now be quiet til you've been around long enough to make noise in an intelligent manner!

AmyLee I believe with food costs rising some places are cutting corners vs raising prices. Also with snowbirds down business is slow and unfortunately corners get cut. As I mentioned the 3 or so times I went there always some gristle, one piece being quite large. To me as some said a greasy spoon. Others do not notice the gristle as with age they have to gum it. lmao

Guest Willard
AmyLee I believe with food costs rising some places are cutting corners vs raising prices. Also with snowbirds down business is slow and unfortunately corners get cut. As I mentioned the 3 or so times I went there always some gristle, one piece being quite large. To me as some said a greasy spoon. Others do not notice the gristle as with age they have to gum it. lmao

But the Tennessee guy had already raised prices- - -originally it was 55mpsos for a cheeseburger and fries (not many fires) and how it's 60mpsos. So even at depreciated mpso prices we're talking about $4.85-$5 for a gristleburger? I ate at 60's the other day and while the new owners aren't as charmingly personable as Rick and Heidi the burger was still outstanding!

Going to be interesting to see what happens with the Turtle when (someday over the rainbow) the new shopping center complete with Burger King opens.

Guest Gringal

Willard:

Going to be interesting to see what happens with the Turtle when (someday over the rainbow) the new shopping center complete with Burger King opens.

How about: "Hasta la Vista, baby" ? <_<

When Burger King opens, people will opt for 60's in Paradise or Burger King, wherever they can get the best price and quality. It may leave the guy who owns TT scratching his head. NEVER cut quality in this town.

Guest Willard
When Burger King opens, people will opt for 60's in Paradise or Burger King, wherever they can get the best price and quality. It may leave the guy who owns TT scratching his head. NEVER cut quality in this town.

Absolutely correct!!!!!

The interesting thing is that the guy that owns the Turtle reads this board regularly. Duh!

While I was happy to see that they've added non-greasy items (great salad) to the menu, I'm still underwhelmed with the amount of fries and onion rings that you get. Yesterday, hubby had a club sandwich and had to lift the parsley to find the fries that were supposed to come with it. The last time we were there, he got 5-count 'em-5 onion rings. Charge a reasonable price, but include what you advertise!

While I was happy to see that they've added non-greasy items (great salad) to the menu, I'm still underwhelmed with the amount of fries and onion rings that you get. Yesterday, hubby had a club sandwich and had to lift the parsley to find the fries that were supposed to come with it. The last time we were there, he got 5-count 'em-5 onion rings. Charge a reasonable price, but include what you advertise!
I think the correct count of onion ring are 7 per order.

These posts are not good publicity for TT. He should read this board more often and wake up, before it's too late.

I haven't tried it yet and probably won't after the post about the gristle in the Hamburg. No excuse for that. I would go back to 60's in Paradise.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i read these posts but I take lot of them with a grane of salt because i have girls that speaks english in the day and 95 percent of the time Im there from 4 or 5 to close. I have read these posts and found a few have nothing to say good about anyone if you cant come to me but you can run home and post it here then you realy have nothing to say that i need to hear.as far as the meat goes its the same that i started with and have and will not change. as far as no other soft drinks but pepsi you miss understud we we out of pepsi. for those of you who do not speak spanish Im sure you cant point you finger to what you want the menu is in english and spanish i dont think thats to hard. puting aside the ones that can only complain when there at home and only have the screan to look at and have no other things to do but complain and tell lies here on chapla . com. PLEASE GET OUT FROM YOUr COMPUTERSCREAN AND ENJOY LIFE HERE IN MEXICO OR GO BACK HOME. now to the people that have suported me over the last year I just want to say thank you. i have meat some really nice people and have a bunch of new friend and good customers so the end is not near my email swiftyinmx@hot mail.com my home number is 7661216 ill put my cell and raido number later so you can reach me if you have a problem or just ask one of the girls to call me if you have a problem thanks Daniel

Wow as the owner you may have just shot yourself in the foot. If out of Pepsi simply run across road and buy some at WalMart until supply comes in. Obviously gristle is OK in your ground "beef" as you will not change!!!!!!!!!!!!! . You tell people to go back home!!!

I agree with you on one thing and that is the menu has both languages and easy to point at the Spanish equivalent; however, a customer may need to discuss and ask questions beyond pointing to an item. For example, obviously, the issue of Pepsi was not understood.

In some ways you may consider appreciating comments on here vs people not returning. It would normally give a business owner a chance to consider changes. Based on your attitude which is not one of being receptive to input why would anyone call you?

Another restaurant owner (Oscar Perez Nafarrate, el Jardin de Ninette) had negative reviews from some and listened and responded with an open mind. I am sure he gained business based on his comments. I doubt people will feel the same about the Thirsty Turtle based on your comments above.

Ajijic - Wow!!! You and I finally agree on something. With this guy's attitude and business being waaay down from last year at this time, I'll give him 6 months before he goes out of business. Ask any business person about their business in Ajijic.

What a rotten attitude this guy has. Wake up, your customers are trying to give constructive criticism and you won't accept it. I have not eaten at TT and will not after seeing his post. I have never seen so many mispelled words.

There is another restaurant owner who is very popular in town. People had Christmas dinner at his restaurant and he portioned out everything in small amounts. When people asked for more mashed potato, he said absolutely not. I have no use for this guy anyways and now will now not take my bi weekly Dinner group there.

Ajijic - Wow!!! You and I finally agree on something. With this guy's attitude and business being waaay down from last year at this time, I'll give him 6 months before he goes out of business. Ask any business person about their business in Ajijic.

What a rotten attitude this guy has. Wake up, your customers are trying to give constructive criticism and you won't accept it. I have not eaten at TT and will not after seeing his post. I have never seen so many mispelled words.

John to be honest I think you have a lot to offer. How you offer it is sometimes is in question. Suggestion write in a tone and with the words you would use with say a grandchild.... soft, gentle, nurturing... as they say ... honey works. Address the topic and not the person. <_<:D Happy New Year... John

I know this is a wee bit off topic

We have a favorite restraunt in PV called El Toucan. Connie & I have been there several times and have always enjoyed the experience. On one particular occasion we had taken friends for breakfast and one had ordered an Omellete & Canadian Bacon..... what he got was an Omellete and a pork chop.... funny as hell... just an experience!!

Guest Gringal

There is another restaurant owner who is very popular in town. People had Christmas dinner at his restaurant and he portioned out everything in small amounts. When people asked for more mashed potato, he said absolutely not. I have no use for this guy anyways and now will now not take my bi weekly Dinner group there.

John: I have to agree with your view on (a) above. After all our responses, which were pretty objective overall, his attitude is total denial. Oh well. His business; his problem.

on B: it ain't fair to titillate us and leave us trying to figure out who you're talking about. TELL. :unsure:

Archived