Chapala.com Webboard

Smoke from fires and heat

This year in particular, smoke from fires combined with the heat has impacted my breathing. I’m seeking solutions. Keeping windows closed during fires helps a bit. A room air purifier should help cleanse the air. What about an air conditioner with PM2.5 filters or HEPA filters? Do they work and they available here or in Guad.? Any other solutions? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

Read this from BBC news re:  fires  blazing thru all of Canada and causing smoke problems in U.S. ( never mind Canada itself). It describes in detail how to protect yourself from smoke, and proper use of N95 masks to help.  Also has a few other tips.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65843485

I am in Canada right now and the air quality has been severely affected by the fires. I have never known anything like it. The sun is red and the atmosphere feels like we're in a Sci-Fi movie ... really weird to be having conditions like these, never before experienced - the world is not the world I was lucky enough to have grown up in 

1 hour ago, Seren said:

I am in Canada right now and the air quality has been severely affected by the fires. I have never known anything like it. The sun is red and the atmosphere feels like we're in a Sci-Fi movie ... really weird to be having conditions like these, never before experienced - the world is not the world I was lucky enough to have grown up in 

That Sci-fi movie would be Blade Runner.  

From CTV News canada on line report today:

".....Canada's 2023 fire season is on track to be one of the worst in the country's history.

More than 440 fires are burning across the country, forcing people from their homes and others to stay inside due to wildfire smoke pollution.

Fires stretch thousands of hectares in provinces like B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Nova Scotia and the Northwest Territories. Charred earth and burnt forests are left behind in the path of the blazes as fire crews tirelessly work to contain the flames.

To date, 3.8 million hectares of land have been burned or is under fire as of June 7, .....         (  3.8x2.4 =  9.4 million acres  )

35 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm seeing reports those fires were set.  Same problem we have around here.  That plus the $%&/()s who throw their cigarette butts out the window.

There have been multiple people charged. This is just one guy:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/cold-lake-area-man-facing-10-arson-charges-after-string-of-wildfires-blazes-rcmp

Yes there have been a few firebugs.  Most likely the odd live cig butt too.  But majority are combo of lightning strikes,   super-dry forest, brush, and scrubland,  and terrifically high winds.   Thousands of mandatory evacuations...... some areas more than once.  Many "stay at home" orders for smoke density alone ( my sister has experienced a few of those in Edmonton alone). 

You don't have firefighters coming from all over the world, and over a period of weeks, because a few sickos decided to play their game.

Again...... 9.4 million acres just to today   .........