Chapala.com Webboard

Mercado Libre Screwup

Went to make another purchase this morning and got a message that my "key has expired" They said I hadn't made a purchase in over three months. Absolutely untrue. I've made three purchase in the last two weeks.

But they would kindly allow me to sign back in if I followed their verification process. First a code sent to my email on record. Then a whatsapp sent to me. Then I had to enter my CURP. Then they wanted me to send a scan of my passport. Finally they wanted to photograph my face using my laptop camera. I couldn't get an acceptable photo after trying 6 times. Said the lighting wasn't acceptable.

I gave up. What the hell is wrong with this outfit? I've been a regular customer for over 8 years.

I can see no way of reaching them. Only a Q&A section. No Chat, no phone number that I can see.

The sad thing is I have 91 of their shares in my portfolio.

Any ideas to offer?

TIA

SunFan

14 minutes ago, RickS said:

My or my that sounds like a scam..... for a site that is kinda a Mexican craigslist place, asking for a Passport number AND a face scan would have me running for the hills.

Mercadolibre is far from a scam. They have a market cap of 63 billion dollars on the NASDAQ

.  They are verifying various accounts to make sure they are secure.... Those procedures are for your own protection....Similar procedures are required to initiate a bank app in Mexico. 

Needed to take a photo of my passport for a US account recently as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SunFan said:

Went to make another purchase this morning and got a message that my "key has expired" They said I hadn't made a purchase in over three months. Absolutely untrue. I've made three purchase in the last two weeks.

But they would kindly allow me to sign back in if I followed their verification process. First a code sent to my email on record. Then a whatsapp sent to me. Then I had to enter my CURP. Then they wanted me to send a scan of my passport. Finally they wanted to photograph my face using my laptop camera. I couldn't get an acceptable photo after trying 6 times. Said the lighting wasn't acceptable.

I gave up. What the hell is wrong with this outfit? I've been a regular customer for over 8 years.

I can see no way of reaching them. Only a Q&A section. No Chat, no phone number that I can see.

The sad thing is I have 91 of their shares in my portfolio.

Any ideas to offer?

TIA

SunFan

https://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/ayuda/chat?flow=AA_ML

You might try doing the procedure from the ML app on your cell phone. Cell cameras are better suited for the face picture procedures

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Mercadolibre is far from a scam. They have a market cap of 63 billion dollars on the NASDAQ

Nowhere did I say that Mercadolibre was a scam... but rather that the 'requirements' sound like either online fishing or a scam.  I'm forever getting stuff on the Internet from a 'reputable company' so it seems....but is actually a scam/fishing from someone posing as that reputable company. 

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

https://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/ayuda/chat?flow=AA_ML

You might try doing the procedure from the ML app on your cell phone. Cell cameras are better suited for the face picture procedures

Thanks Mostlylost but.......

Catch 22

The  website for chat requires me to sign in. That's my problem to begin with. mercado libre tells me my account has expired from lack of use.

I have never used mercado libre on my smartphone so it asks me to enter my email and phone number then it tells me it doesn't recognize either my landline or cell phone number??????

Unbelievable for an online retail website.

SunFan

I agree with Rick. It's fishy and I deal with Mercado Libre often. This scenario has been dealt with before by others. I have never been asked for that info by Mercado Libre but I always log out after each transaction and I always pay at Oxxo. 

I'm like Ferret........ only pay in cash.  I suspect SunFan's problem is because of paying with credit card?  I've been told that DOES require a whole different can or worms....all intended to protect  you and I support that.   But since I refuse to use a cell phone for any kind of financial things anyway, the worst I've had to endure as ML beefs up their security, is to grudgingly turn cell on to get a pass code by SMS to prove I'm who I say I am when I go to log in. 

And yes, I close it out as soon as I'm done with my purchase.

If you are using the app on a cell phone when you are connected to your home's wifi it is just as secure as your computer is. 

Try Mercado Libre Customer Service at  11 3003 4333, option 2, from Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 21:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 19:00 p.m. 

Other ML numbers   55 4973 7300 option 2.   55 1889 2277   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

If you are using the app on a cell phone when you are connected to your home's wifi it is just as secure as your computer is.

Oh ML.... that's SO funny in SO many  ways.  (1) No idea how to add any apps to phone ( except few that are there on this old 2015 model)    and (2) since my desktop monitor has no camera built in ( ordered that way on purpose) and (3) desktop is always in private browsing, and (4) all history is cleared nightly before I turn it of......... I truly can't accept MY cell phone would be secure enough.

But I really appreciate the ML phone numbers if I ever need them.  Gracias!

6 hours ago, RickS said:

Nowhere did I say that Mercadolibre was a scam... but rather that the 'requirements' sound like either online fishing or a scam.  I'm forever getting stuff on the Internet from a 'reputable company' so it seems....but is actually a scam/fishing from someone posing as that reputable company. 

Ok  you are right on that point.  The OP said they were trying to make a purchase, so I assumed they had logged in as normal.  

If they were replying to a message, Whatsapp, or email then your scenario could be the case. 

Way to find out is clear cookies, then try to log to the ML website in using incognito mode on the web browser and see what happens.....

11 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Way to find out is clear cookies, then try to log to the ML website in using incognito mode on the web browser and see what happens.....

I cleared my cookies a week ago to fix a problem with my banking app. That may be why I wasn't recognized when I signed in to mercadolibre.

Many thanks for the phone number. I'll give it a try when I get back from my appointment this morning to renew  my drivers license. I hope that goes well.

SunFan