Chapala.com Webboard

My experience putting in air conditioning

After 17 plus years here in Mexico...and after denying that I would ever need any cooling device...I admitted that I did, very much, need it.

I asked for quotes...and chose an english speaking Mexican crew from Guadalajara. He came with two men. We needed a one and a half ton split for downstairs and two one ton splits all are 220 rated for each bedroom that was to be cooled. I wanted all hoses concealed in the walls and painted over. Two converters were placed on my mirador and one converter on a walkway on the second floor....All electrical ,cleanup and maid service and all parts and labor included. The whole job took three days.The units were X32 Mirages.

We have a solar array and hopefully the CFE  bill will show some mercy. The job was done as requested and as agreed to. "CONS"....I had to pay with cash because the price was very low as compared to credit card purchase at Costco, Liverpool or Home Depot.

Fred Habacht

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Heat and dryness feels very sustained this year.  

That's because they are!  As explained on Guad news this a.m. there are two HIGH pressure areas on westerly side that normally should be moving around.  This year they are remaining stationary, and until they get out of this mode and back in the groove, nothing will change.

I have 16 solar panels already. My wife's Oxygen units use a lot of power but I can live with that cost.

I chose no heat on my new split units...being cool is what we needed and her oxygen converters  are heat producers, a lot of heat.

As to cost...every job will be different, wiring, hardware for mounting, paint, access, new electric boxes for each unit with shutoffs, connectiion to my solar meter etc ...but I am pleased with, after conversion to USD, a cost of $2300.00....

As to contact....I will share that on a case to case basis....as some of the posters would not pass my standards.

Fred Habacht

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

May want to add more solar panels.

Are those the inverter type of AC?  Heat pump or just AC?

The Mirage X32 is an inverter type AC.

If Fred has 16 panels I would think he could supply his neighbor with electricity!!! 😆

P.S.   His cost for this setup is just one more piece of evidence of how cheaply one can live in Mexico.  $2300 US for all that gear and installation is amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have Mirage AC units supplied and installed by the team of Go Solar (STI Solar Technology).

Top quality and very professional installation at great pricing.

They also fixed up the "installation" of several units of our neighbour that were not done properly by another company, and did  a great job for them too.

• Like 5

In 2017 we bought a 18,000 btu mini-split, Whirlpool, from Tio Sam's. 220v. Tio arranged all the installation and electrical work. Top notch. 

This was in our upstairs bedroom and one nice feature was a night time setting that ran for several hours into the night then gradually tapered down until dawn. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mexijims1 said:

Sorry I asked this board !

Too bad you feel that way. You asked for a price for something that was purchased and installed in 2017, which was six years ago.  Prices obviously aren't the same in 2023 as 2017.  Your needs regarding size of unit and other options will greatly effect the price. You have been given several options regarding who to contact.  This board provided you with that information.

Mex Jim,

I don't recall the breakdown for (1)the actual a/c unit, (2)installation and (3)the electrical work to bring 220V from the ground level electrical box to the mirador above the 2nd level. The total job was somewhat less than $20,000mp. 

• Thanks 1

Ibarra's link to Whirlpool prices 18000btu units about $19000mp so I just guess the total job now would be about $30,000mp. 

The US/Mex exchange rate in mid 2017 was 18.30 or US$1065.00. Now it would be about US$1736. 45 days use, at 8 hrs a day comes to $4.83/hr.

• Thanks 1

Go Solar / STI has a great installed price, every home is different but with "standard" installation of 4 meters of distance from the inside to outside unit, (if not needing very long electrical or refrigerant line extensions) I believe a high efficiency inverter unit with both cold and heating is in the 16,000 to 17,000 peso range.     Almost silent and working great.       

ron(at)solartechnology.com.mx  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 10:29 AM, BenjiBoy said:

After 17 plus years here in Mexico...and after denying that I would ever need any cooling device...I admitted that I did, very much, need it.

I asked for quotes...and chose an english speaking Mexican crew from Guadalajara. He came with two men. We needed a one and a half ton split for downstairs and two one ton splits all are 220 rated for each bedroom that was to be cooled. I wanted all hoses concealed in the walls and painted over. Two converters were placed on my mirador and one converter on a walkway on the second floor....All electrical ,cleanup and maid service and all parts and labor included. The whole job took three days.The units were X32 Mirages.

We have a solar array and hopefully the CFE  bill will show some mercy. The job was done as requested and as agreed to. "CONS"....I had to pay with cash because the price was very low as compared to credit card purchase at Costco, Liverpool or Home Depot.

Fred Habacht

Can you share what you paid?...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KevinR said:

Can you share what you paid?...

Every home is different, as most need more wiring and gas line than is included with the factory kit.     And to hide the lines (open and close walls) would also add cost.

Contact recommended providers and get a quote, I know it is great value and like 75% less than it would be NOB (US or C).

• 2 months later...