HOW TO GET A U.S. CREDIT CARD ISSUED WHILE LIVING HERE

ANYONE KNOW WHAT BANKS OR COMPANIES IN THE U.S. WILL ISSUE A CREDIT CARD

TO A U.S. CITIZEN WHO THEY KNOW IS RETIRED AND LIVING IN MEXICO AND WILL ALSO

ALLOW AN APPLICANT TO USE E MAIL AND OR A MEXICAN CELL PHONE WITH A MEXICAN

NUMBER  OR AN INTERNERT PHONE LIKE MAGIC JACK TO COMMUNICATE? I THINK THAT

WITH MILLIONS OF U.S. CITIZENS LIVING ABROAD, SURELY THERE ARE CREDIT CARD

COMPANIES THAT WANT THIER BUSINESS. MY BANK IN THE U.S. REQUIRES ONE TO HAVE

A U.S. CELL PHONE WITH A U.S NUMBER TO RECIEVE TEXTS! I KNOW THAT CAN BE DONE

BUT ITS NOT FREE NOR EASY TO ACCOMPLISH FOR ME ....ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!

W

Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo and on and on. We even had an account ar a small bank in Michigan that used all of our Mexico information.  Depending on the bank, when you sign in, you may have to receive a one time code to actually enter account. That can be received by the options presented on bank website Example: via email or text message. FYI We have had a Chase account with all MX information for 25 years.  

IBARRA, THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS

SO I CAN SEE WHAT I AM TYPING ,NOT YELLING AND NOT TO SWIFT ON USING COMPUTERS

MY QUESTION IS ..IS ANY OF THE ACTIVITIES WITH ANY OF THE BANKS YOU MENTION BEEN RECENT?

I HAVE BEEN DOWN HERE A LONG TIME BY NOW AND HAVE NO VALID U.S. ID LEFT EXCEPT MY U.S. PASSPORT WHICH IS RECENT RE NEWED AND

VALID. THE BANK I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH SEEMS TO THINK I

SHOULD HAVE VALID CURRENT STATE ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE OR

A STATE ISSUED ID.........THEY CALIM THEY WILL ACCEPT THE PASSPORT

SAY THAT THAT REUIRES SPECIAL EQIUPMENT TO VERIFY AND THEY

REQUIRE THAT I WOULD SEND A PHOTO OF IT WITH A U.S. CELL PHONE

NUMBER, NO E MAIL PHOTO, NO MAJIC JACK CALLS WILL DO THEM.....

We have been in MX almost 25 years. 20 of those years without any U.S. address or id other than passports.  My husband is a nationalized MX and we use that for id in MX banks etc.  We receive Debit and Credit cards at our home usually by FedEx. Direct deposit one Social Security check per month in Chase, other one in MX bank. We do normal banking each month such as paying credit cards if we have a balance, pay Amazon if we make a purchase.  fyi. Some States in U.S. will issue a State id for those without a driver's license, but you need an address in that State, I believe. My husband had one from Arizona for a few years when we first moved to the State of Sonora.  

I use USAA but you need to have a military connection of some kind. They have members all over the world so are not US-centric. I thought my credit union was problem free until I tried to deposit a check. They wanted me to use an App that required a US cell phone so I used my good old USAA account. 

I have had issues getting accounts with some banks because I cannot receive texts on Magic Jack.  I find that to be a real issue since some will only offer that text option and I have actually lost out on opening accounts because of that issue.  

I find it to be a real pain on occasion but keep plugging along and keep giving them m majicjack as my mobile number and also using my Laredo post office address as my US address. 

I am generally happy when most banks are willing to send your security code for log-in via email !

Our bank quit asking for security code email to send to. We were forced to get a US phone number so we got it through T Mobile. 48 US a month but can use it México US and Canada. We have had to use it several times for a US verification code and also to call us a code on a US number. It has come to where you can’t do anything with your US accounts or other businesses that they will have to verify who you are by sending a code. Majic Jack won’t work as they can tell it is voice over internet and not a real cell phone number to send a code to. It’s just getting harder and harder to do US business with any company. 

2 hours ago, schraderone said:

PELICAN 9, I FEEL LESS LONELY  TO SEE THAT ITS NOT ONLY ME THAT USES ALL CAPS TO SEE THE SCREEN!

THE DOUBLE SPACING IS A BIG HELP ALSO..........WISH I COULD FIGURE A WAY TO MAKE THE LETTERS DARKER

OR EVEN LARGER THAN ALL CAPS!  HA

When you type your text, highlight it. Then, on the task bat, choose B which will BOLD the text you have highlighted.

• Like 3

i can receive and send  text messages on magic jack, all have been from individuals and not companies i suppose. i have a credit card with capital one but cannot receive a text verification on my cell with a telcel chip and they wont send a verification code to my email, the only downside to that card. i have discussed it many times with them and they mention that they send a short code that i cant receive?? it only happens occasionally so i can live with it to i go back north.

More & more banks and services are requiring 2 step verification. Some will email, but some will only text. Some that only text need a US number.

Many banks can tell if your number is a VIOP number and will not call or text to that number.  Capitol One is an example.

We have a TMobile account for $3.00 a month that will receive texts in Mexico. Paid $40 for the sim. Texts to Mx cost 25 cents. 

• Like 1

Can you give me the 'name' of the T-Mobile account that you have for $3/month?

If that plan is readily available to use in Mexico it would certainly solve the 'bank text to Mexico' problem that many folks have.  Cheap burner phone with a T-Mobile account like that and one is home free.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

magic jack can be added to a smart phone - less than $50 a year combined with expess vpn for $99  https://www.magicjack.com/account/mjLandingpages.do?page=index

Magic Jack is VOIP   Many services, banks, brokerage, etc. will not text or call a VOIP number. More are joining the no VOIP every Month. 

6 hours ago, RickS said:

Can you give me the 'name' of the T-Mobile account that you have for $3/month?

If that plan is readily available to use in Mexico it would certainly solve the 'bank text to Mexico' problem that many folks have.  Cheap burner phone with a T-Mobile account like that and one is home free.

Thanks

Same as Larry A       Be sure your cell is 4g LTE  and a GSM network phone

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293902916901?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20220705100511%26meid%3D7f8a0c2da17249b99ebb67d23d8d3390%26pid%3D101524%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D293902916901%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DT-Mobile&_trksid=p2380057.c101524.m146925&_trkparms=pageci%3A9e02cd63-06f2-11ee-b0e2-82c602018f2b|parentrq%3Aa16570481880ad333cf50617fffefd0c|iid%3A1

12 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Magic Jack is VOIP   Many services, banks, brokerage, etc. will not text or call a VOIP number. More are joining the no VOIP every Month. 

So far no problem except texts don't work well but so far they also have a phone call option.  Thx for info on the VOIP club. 

I have found they are also cracking down on commercial mail addresses such as handymail - and won't accept them - and still have not found a work around as friends address not an option

We asked about the 3.00 T Mobile plan and they said it was no longer available. Another rep said if you are out of the US for 3 months they will cancel your number. I don’t know as we opted to take a different plan we can use in México unlimited and keep our phone number including 5 gb data. It works for us but it is not 3.00. I wish it were.