Chapala.com Webboard

Rain? Begin? When?

We are absolutely stuck under a huge high pressure dome that is so strong we aren't even seeing a single cloud in the sky.  The sub tropical jet is displaced pretty far to the south over the pacific west of us.  The polar jet is further south than usual.

Cooler than normal in the western U.S. causes a blocking upper level high that keeps the one over us from shifting north.

The Monsoon Trough is displaced south and not generating near the usual amount of tropical waves.  Our family in Oaxaca reports the rainy season has not arrived there on schedule, namely towards the end of May.

It could be late this year.  Very late.  Like third week of June.  And then weak.  This could be a bad year for central Mexico.  Hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

We are absolutely stuck under a huge high pressure dome that is so strong we aren't even seeing a single cloud in the sky.  The sub tropical jet is displaced pretty far to the south over the pacific west of us.  The polar jet is further south than usual.

Cooler than normal in the western U.S. causes a blocking upper level high that keeps the one over us from shifting north.

The Monsoon Trough is displaced south and not generating near the usual amount of tropical waves.  Our family in Oaxaca reports the rainy season has not arrived there on schedule, namely towards the end of May.

It could be late this year.  Very late.  Like third week of June.  And then weak.  This could be a bad year for central Mexico.  Hope I'm wrong.

I remember sometime around 2003-04 it was very late, almost July before it started but man...once it started...

Gosh, according to the Ajijic weather station, it was 92.6 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday afternoon. I'm sure glad I'm up north in Seattle, hiding from that terrible heat. l sure hope the rain comes soon so that I can come back in early July as scheduled.

I wish you folks the best down there.

21 hours ago, johanson said:

Gosh, according to the Ajijic weather station, it was 92.6 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday afternoon. I'm sure glad I'm up north in Seattle, hiding from that terrible heat.

No need to rub it in Peter. ☹️

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

No need to rub it in Peter. ☹️

Natasha, Pete is not rubbing it in. He is too mild and meek for that. Just joining in on the conversation. AND he did wish you "the best".   😁

I come from an area that never gets too hot. And I am always amazed how people from the warmer and/or hotter areas of the US and Canada can stand the hot weather. lI guess you could call me a hate sissy :). At the moment I am making my reservations to come back lakeside, an area I proudly call home about 9 months of the year. I'll be back in early July, once lakeside (in my eyes) becomes paradise, weatherwise again :)  

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Natasha, Pete is not rubbing it in........AND he did wish you "the best".   😁

He wished everyone the best.  He knows us and where  we come from and that I don't wish him ill. But I still say he's gloating a tad 😄

• Haha 2

On 6/3/2023 at 2:10 PM, johanson said:

I come from an area that never gets too hot. And I am always amazed how people from the warmer and/or hotter areas of the US and Canada can stand the hot weather. lI guess you could call me a hate sissy :). At the moment I am making my reservations to come back lakeside, an area I proudly call home about 9 months of the year. I'll be back in early July, once lakeside (in my eyes) becomes paradise, weatherwise again :)  

What I remember was that joke that people from Seattle don't get a sun tan, they get a rain tan.  The other one I recall is they don't tan, they rust. 🤣

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Well if MC is not going to do this all official-like, I'm going for June 22nd..... MY birthday. So for a few days at least, Artsnob and I will be the same age!

👍🏼Happy birthdays,...but sorry; the start of rain shall be on the evening of the 16th (I hope).

We have been in Guayabitos since late last week and even though we haven't seen rain, every afternoon dark (rainless) clouds build up. 

In a normal year these clouds would bring a storm so here's hoping that some day soon we'll get some of that liquid sunshine we need.