Chapala.com Webboard

Handicapped parking ticket

Yesterday I got a ticket for parking in a handicapped zone in Ajijic. My wife is definitely handicapped, but I had no sticker from DIF. The traffic policeman gave me the ticket and confiscated my rear license plate and told me to pay the fine in Chapala. Do I have to take the bus to Chapala to pay the fine or can I drive there without incurring another fine?

Drive there. Pay the fine. It's not fair when I see SO many infractions on a daily basis while driving. It must just be too much trouble for the police to ticket THOSE people when they can sit and wait for an elderly citizen, with a handicapped wife, to park in handicapped parking without a sticker. Disgraceful and shameful.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Drive there. Pay the fine. It's not fair when I see SO many infractions on a daily basis while driving. It must just be too much trouble for the police to ticket THOSE people when they can sit and wait for an elderly citizen, with a handicapped wife, to park in handicapped parking without a sticker. Disgraceful and shameful.

I have every emphy for Kemezer but it was a infraction,  I am surprised that the Transio took the license plate. That was a practice the police did many years ago. Was it a MX plated car?

1 hour ago, kmetzger said:

. Do I have to take the bus to Chapala to pay the fine or can I drive there without incurring another fine?

IMO safer to take the  bus. IF you're spotted and IF they want to get snarky, you'll get another, more serious infraction for not having that rear plate.  Especially since lately ( Mx TV news) bad guys have been committing assaults etc. with vehicles whose plates have been removed.  I suspect this is to foil the abundance of C5 ( or something)  cameras all over Guad.

Not that I'm suggested they'll taser you and put you in cuffs....😲.. just that they're all a little edgy ( with good reason) these days.

I drove to the Chapala office using the side road through to San Antonio. No cops stopped me. Fine paid $481 pesos and got my license plate back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

I have every emphy for Kemezer but it was a infraction,  I am surprised that the Transio took the license plate. That was a practice the police did many years ago. Was it a MX plated car?

South Dakota plates. 

6 hours ago, kmetzger said:

South Dakota plates. 

You can get a permit by getting a note from your doctor and then processing it at the DIF office in Chapala.

The state or country of your license plate has nothing to do with getting the permit 

Every country in the world with that type of parking requires you display a current permit. 

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

He did not say the police observed then getting out of the car and later ticked the car. Anywhere in the world they require a permit to park in those spaces. The policeman followed the law. He was lucky the fine was so small. In many countries the fine would have been hundreds of dollars and possibly a tow bill. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ferret said:

No, he didn't say that but you understood what I was trying to convey.

Sorry I did not understand. He parked in a marked parking place without a permit to do so. He violated the law. The policeman did his job.

Do I understand why he wanted to park there.. of course. That is why he should have the proper permit. It is the permit that gives the permission.

If the policeman doing his job is considered by you to be " Disgraceful and shameful."   so be it. 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

He did not say the police observed then getting out of the car and later ticked the car. Anywhere in the world they require a permit to park in those spaces. The policeman followed the law. He was lucky the fine was so small. In many countries the fine would have been hundreds of dollars and possibly a tow bill. 

The fine actually turned out to be $481

Interesting side story since there’s some discussion about plate confiscation.  A friend who lives in Ajijic year round recently had to go back to Guanajuato (City) to retrieve his Jalisco plate that was taken by the police there during an infraction.  I believe he gambled and just drove there.

Couple years ago, we were heading south on Hwy 200 on our way to Bucerias, and once the 2 lane road opens up to 4 lanes, the speed limit drops from 80 to 50. I got a ticket for speeding and they took my rear license plate. Mexican plated car. So it happens. 

Typical comments from entitled expats, the police do their job and you bitch, they don’t do their job and you bitch.. you have to scream “Discrimination”       I got a ticket because I’m an entitled expat, not because I parked in a handicap space with no permit…

He committed an offense and got what he deserved…

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Typical comments from entitled expats, the police do their job and you bitch, they don’t do their job and you bitch.. you have to scream “Discrimination”       I got a ticket because I’m an entitled expat, not because I parked in a handicap space with no permit…

He committed an offense and got what he deserved…

I didn't say he shouldn't have gotten a ticket. I said, from experience, that he was more likely to get a ticket than some other drivers. For example, a few years ago I was driving in Ajijic and hit a curb with my tires while dodging another car. I was pulled over and charged with damage to public property. I knew it was BS but I was late for a meeting so I paid the mordita. Do you honestly thing the cop would have tried to give a Mexican a ticket for the same thing????