Chapala.com Webboard

H. Pylori test

If you're looking for a diagnosis of Helicobacter pylori existence then you need to have an endoscopy and a biopsy. Neither of which is done in a lab.

Tests for H pylori (ucsfhealth.org)

Biopsy

• A tissue sample, called a biopsy, is taken from the stomach lining. This is the most accurate way to tell if you have an H pylori infection.
  • To remove the tissue sample, you have a procedure called endoscopy. The procedure is done in the hospital or outpatient center.

You might find a doctor who will treat you prophylacticly.  Take the antibiotic, if the symptoms go away, you had H. pylori.

on a similar subject, I’ve been having symptoms for the last couple of years.  I told my doctor and he prescribed proton inhibitors which I refused to take. Three months ago I went down to Michoacan and ate something I shouldn’t have.  That night I vomited about 6 to 7 times and had watery stools for the following 2 days.  Since then my gastric symptoms have gone away and I feel normal again.  I can now drink coffee, eat spicy foods, etc.

We have an order from our doctor for an H. Pylori blood test.   Has anyone had a TEST recently, if yes, where and how much?  We used CHOPO in years past but would like other options if available.  That is what I asked about, not treatment.   

I like the approach that Jreboll suggests, which I find the most accurate -- based on my experience below.

I was told to get   a specific H. Pylori test from a late doctor here about 2 years ago.  I ordered the balloon at Go Lab and took a pill there prior to blowing into the balloon.  The results came back negative.  Cost for that test was 2,000p -- not cheap.

However, about 4 months later I had a general endoscopy and he took about 3 biopsys.  That was done by Dr. Daniel Briseno who I think is excellent, at San Antionio hospital.That total cost came to about 13,000 p. 

The biopsy came back positive for H. Pylori.   I told him about the balloon test, and he asked did the doctor tell you to stay off Omeprazole for two weeks before you test, and I said, No.  He said that is why you got a false reading from the balloon test. He prescribed a packet of drugs -- which were expensive.

So, I went to Dra Justina Lopez at 376- 766-5563 and she prescribed the series of antibiotics for both me wife and me.  She said no need for her to take a test, because if you have it, then she most likely has it.   She was absolutely right.  We both took her series of prescribed meds and it went away !

I recommend you meet with Dra Justina who will put you also on a much less expensive doses of necessary generic antibiotics !  That should save you a lot of time and money. Just tell her your symptoms -- no tests.

• Like 1

I might add.  Ten years ago I had H.pylori verified by test and treated with antibiotics.  This time around the doctor didn’t bother with the testing.  He said if I’ve had it before then I probably was having a recurrence.

also, this time around, after my vomiting spell, I took kefir for about a week to get my stomach flora back to normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

Where is Dra Justina Lopez office?  

Not next to Blue Rose. It is right next to (west) a lot with a sign; Un Paso A La Vez; This is my rental lot where we make living soil/compost. To enter Justna's office go along the hallway to the left. She is a very nice person.