Chapala.com Webboard

E-Bike, E-Trike or Golf Cart?

I applaud your ability to recognize your need AND the willingness to put it out in the open.  I think many people continue to drive long past their capacity to do so...

Consider the following question rhetorical...

Each of the alternative you've listed has unique abilities.  First, you didn't mention the reasons for your need to stop driving.  If you consider these, do they preclude all forms of driving?  Driving in Traffic?  Driving at night?  Whatever your reasons, consider if they transfer over to any other kind of vehicles. 

If your sense of balance is affected, perhaps a bicycle isn't an answer.

Do you live on (or need to drive on) any of the many, very poorly surfaced streets?  Perhaps a gold cart wouldn't be much fun (bouncing like pop corn in hot oil).

What changes in your life/health have brought you to the decision and would they present any problems with alternative transportation?

Last, why not drop by one of the electric bike rental places and try out a couple of bikes with different set ups (narrow tires/wide tires, seats, handlebar configuration) and a tricycle or two to get a preview and learn what might feel right.  Then find a gold cart to try (ride with a friend/borrow? and try to do all of the above on streets you'll be using routinely.I

• Like 7

A golf cart would be an ideal mode of transportation IN Ajijic. Don't drive on the Carretara. Just get one with larger wheels to make travel on the cobblestones more comfortable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, artsnob said:

They are legal if you get a license, and only drive on in town streets not on Hiway...

That would suggest you can get mandatory vehicle insurance. I'm not aware you can but easy to check.

SunFan

On 5/19/2023 at 8:34 AM, lakeside7 said:

I like the idea of the golf cart, but are they legal? 

Talk to Lynda Anderson at the LCS on the days she is working (volunteering) there.    She uses one as daily transport and knows a lot about it.     Hers was converted to lithium-ion batteries from Go Solar (STI Solar Technology) and she is very happy, no maintenance, it runs beautifully, and with 300 pounds less weight in the cart than before, she says the suspension is also much improved over the cobbles and topes on the back streets.     

• Like 1

There is a difference between legal and tolerated.  Technically, I think they are not legal.  They can't be licensed or insured in case of accident.  Recently the local government stipulated that if the carts are only on side streets they will not be bothered.  In recent years folks were given tickets or had the carts impounded.  Logic seems to have prevailed since folks who drive them create a safer environment for the rest of us on the busy streets.  New topic seems to be motorized bikes and trikes on bike/pedestrian path.  They are quiet and fast and might be dangerous to folks who are out strolling.  The ones with large balloon tires seem to work well on the cobblestone streets but don't seem as safe as a golf cart.

Whatever you decide just don't assume cars are going to see you or follow traffic rules so be very careful.

Alan

• Like 2