Chapala.com Webboard

Best Auto Insurance... Your Help Requested

We're purchasing a used (new to us) MX plated car. I know this site as Insuance sponsors but I'd prefer actual user recommendations from the Chapala Board.

1.) Who do you recommend as a top Lakeside Insurance Agency?

2.) Which Insurer can you recommend... HDI, Qualitas, Chubb, etc..

Muchas gracias!

40 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Anyone ever made a claim? How was the experience?

Totalled our car a few years ago while driving to the border.  Qualitas representative was incredible. Took us to a hotel many kilometers away, took one of us to the hospital for an x-ray.  Parker insurance was not involved, total communication was with Qualitas. Took about 30 days for claim to be paid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Good question, plenty of insures around but experience when filling claim is important 

When my car was stolen in 2010 in broad daylight 10:30 a.m.  in front of IMSS hospital , Parker not only did NOTHING to assist, but what's worse, they  did not tell me it was MY responsibility to report it to the insurance company.  Only by pure fluke did I call them from home later that night and a rep of the insurance company came out here from Guad to get my details.   I later learned if that report had not been made within 24 hours of the theft, I would not have collected a centavo!!!       They also did not give me other needed info as the process went on to completion which caused me MUCH aggravation.

That's what   promoted my move to Bellon.

• Thanks 2

I've been with Parker for maybe 20 years and they've been terrific.  My car was stolen in la Floresta years ago and they knocked themselves out with the claim.  They actually paid me more than I thought the car was worth.  My deductible is not a percentage of anything, it's a flat amount (I think $250US).  About 5 years ago, I was involved in a serious accident in Centro Guadalajara and, once again, Parker jumped in and helped me through the process.  They went above and beyond and, for me, I think that they're the best in town.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/18/2023 at 10:20 AM, Jubilacion said:

We're purchasing a used (new to us) MX plated car. I know this site as Insuance sponsors but I'd prefer actual user recommendations from the Chapala Board.

1.) Who do you recommend as a top Lakeside Insurance Agency?

2.) Which Insurer can you recommend... HDI, Qualitas, Chubb, etc..

Muchas gracias!

Sorry Jubilation I guess we haven't helped too much!!!

Maybe not a great decision but after dealing with Parker for 2 years I was quoted 2K less for identical coverage from ANA. Following that, I realized that it would only take auto theft or a huge accident to benefit from the collision coverage, so I downgraded to basic coverage with a top up for 3rd parties injured/damaged. Now I pay 1/4 the annual premium and if we break down we phone the tow truck direct. This is similar to the insurance I used in Canada for 45 years.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Sorry Jubilation I guess we haven't helped too much!!!

I really have learned some things from all the comments so far, thanks to all!

1. Bellon and Parker are the most used Auto Insurance Brokers which isn't a big surprise (S&S sprinkled in there too). In an accident/claim who you get on the other end of the line - at either Brokerage - unfortunately seems to be a factor in how the claim goes. Persistence and more questions at the time is key to getting help if you're not satisfied.

2. Qualitas seems like a very good insurer with many positive comments and a couple HDI positives too.

3. Who is ANA? A couple of positive comments about them also, but I can't tell if they are a Broker or an Insurer? Anyone proveide more details?

Muchas Gracias! 😎

We have AXA insurance through Jesus Tejada. I believe he handles other insurance companies also and will evaluate which is best for your situation. Have had 3 accidents, all handled to our satisfaction. Only blip was that with one accident in Ajijic, it took the adjuster awhile to arrive since they were stuck in traffic in Guad. The other two incidents they arrived in reasonable time (one a bit north of Joco, on the way to Guad, and the other in Guad). Jesus came to our house to discuss insurance options (we also have health insurance through him) and make arrangements. Since then, we have handled renewals via email and phone. He speaks perfect English and was helpful in dealing with the insurance company when we had accidents and had difficulty navigating the phone menus. Agent's card attached for reference.

On the accident north of Joco, car was damaged but drivable. We were nervous about the damage, however, so the insurance adjuster came with us to drive the car home to Ajijic, to be sure we got there OK. I thought that was pretty good service.

Jesus Tejada card.jpg

• Thanks 1