Chapala.com Webboard

Sad News and Request for Recommendations

Well it seems our Max the Famous Maine Coon is coming to the end of a long and successful run here.  He was hospitalized in February and successfully brought back from near death from kidney failure.  Changed diet and medication seemed to help him rally and he actually gained back ten percent of body weight and did very well for the next three months.  About two weeks ago, the weight started dropping again and the abnormal symptoms returned.  His weight has dropped quickly back to where it was when he was in crisis.

We were warned medication would not hold off the kidney failure for long and that has proven to be the case.  We are so grateful though for the 3 months extra we have had with him.  In total now he has been the head cat here for nearly 14 years.  He was about 2 when he adopted us.

At this point he is still comfortable but getting weak fast.  We had decided before that when his quality of life began to significantly decrease we would send him off in the most loving way, at home in the arms of his family.  That time is soon, in the next week or so.

Here the both of them are earlier this year.  Minnie, the one in the back, passed suddenly just before Max got sick.  This has been a tough year for us, losing them both so close together.

We want to arrange for a vet who is long on love for animals and empathy for this situation to come to Max's home and help him on his way within the next week.  Please let me know who you would suggest and their contact information.  We are located in Ajijic

Thanks.

Los Gatos dos 2.jpg

So very sorry for all of your pain recently.  It is very hard to lose a family member, human or furry.  I agree with NEWMtnMama, use your normal vet as they know Max and Max won't be afraid of a new person.  This is making me cry.  Sorry.

• Like 2

Max's regular vet is not available, she is out of town.  He is starting to struggle a bit, the heat is probably not helping.

Hence the request for a local vet to come and give him the two shots he needs to go on peacefully and painlessly.

Please respond to that request if you are able.

We have used Dr Memo also very caring and comes to the house which is much easier for the patient and the owner I think.  I also would not hesitate to use Dr Maciel for the same reasons.  This is not a complex skill required.

I am so sorry to hear that your baby will be leaving you.

I learned about this vet recently. He's very engaging with new animals, such as mine have been to him. Ha's already been to my house several times, very willing and comfortable with that. He offered, I didn't even need to ask. Dr. Marcos. I would not hesitate to tell him what you need, even over the phone to make arrangements. An office visit might be unnecessary stress at this point.

Dr, Marcos Cobian Hernandez
CAN & CATS Clinica Veternario

52 33 2459 6018  office

52 33 2225 8425  emergencies

Please accept heartfelt condolences. I'm so very sorry you're in this difficult situation. As you have already recognized, it's the loving and humane decision but that doesn't make it any easier. Sadly, we've been in this same place before and since we are still owners of fur babies, I know we will be in this situation again. I hope you can find some solace and comfort in knowing you provided a loving, safe environment and home for Max. I choose to believe he and others before him will await your arrival at the Rainbow Bridge. Sending hugs, peaceful and healing energy.

I'm so sorry,

Val. :(

• Like 1