Chapala.com Webboard

Totalplay Upload Speeds Using Ethernet

Since switching from ILOX to Totalplay about 3 months ago, my upload speed on my desktop PC using an Ethernet cable has been really good and then really bad. 

I have the 600mb play which was just bumped to 700mb download. No issues there. The good upload speed has been north of 100mb, sometimes at 150mb. For the last week and about a month ago it's been about 2mb. The odd thing is that wireless devices like an iPhone and laptop have download speeds of 300-400mb, they also get 130mb up. 

A call to Totalplay was very non-committal - no idea and looking to blame my network card even though it was working fine a couple of weeks ago and for 3 years with ILOX.

If anyone else is connected to Totalplay via Ethernet, please run a Speedtest (or fast.com or nperf) to check your upload speeds. 

image.png.98893bca1aea9ff80b5a453564b6173e.png

Sad...

I am not connected via ethernet because I just didn't want another cable on my desk. However, I am connected to TotalPlay via wifi and the modem is right next to my laptop. I started out contracting for 100 mbps and have been upgraded twice... once to 200 and soon to 300 at no extra charge. This is the Ookla speed test that I just ran.

DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps
Ping ms

Connections

This is the best upload I've ever seen. I was at 51. last July.

I have to say the TP modem has the worst fall-off I've ever seen. I had to switch to ethernet because I was losing over 100 Mbps on a clear line of sight, about 20 feet. They claimed it was normal and my room dynamics and computers and blah blah mercury was probably retrograde. Everything except their lousy modem.

Sorry, John. I had an opportunity to rant and ran with it. You are the expert here, so I don't have to be one to break it to you that there is something seriously wrong with that upload number. Their repair guys are pretty good. I'd try to get them out and see if they can come up with anything.  I can PM  you on how to tell tiny white lies to big companies if you need help. 😇😁

14755160197.png

Trying to eliminate the possibility of a hardware problem, I had a thought. Why not run the speed tests while connected to a VPN and see what happens?

When connected to Nord and Windscribe in both the US and Mexico the download speeds were a slower which was expected, but all the upload speed test results were north of 100mb. After closing the VPNs the upload speeds dropped again to 3.

The term throttle comes to mind.

With the same hardware, cables and modems returning 2 different results, it appears Totalplay is fooling with the upload speeds somewhere along the way.

Now to see if Totalplay responds. 

3 hours ago, John Shrall said:

Trying to eliminate the possibility of a hardware problem, I had a thought. Why not run the speed tests while connected to a VPN and see what happens?

When connected to Nord and Windscribe in both the US and Mexico the download speeds were a slower which was expected, but all the upload speed test results were north of 100mb. After closing the VPNs the upload speeds dropped again to 3.

The term throttle comes to mind.

With the same hardware, cables and modems returning 2 different results, it appears Totalplay is fooling with the upload speeds somewhere along the way.

Now to see if Totalplay responds. 

This is odd. I used to have throttling issue with iLox, though they would never admit it. Speedtest would show the proper upload speed, but copying a large file with scp would quickly degrade and the speed would go down to almost nothing. I have never had the problem with TotalPlay.

Have you tried another computer via ethernet? Don't see that listed here. Have you tried different ethernet ports on the TotalPlay router? I can't see them throttling ethernet and not wireless, but the VPN thing is odd. I had an iLox router that only had 2 ethernet ports. One was 1000 mbs the other 100 mbs. Just something to check though 3 is a lot less than 100 and if you get close to 500 down that wouldn't be the issue.

Can you use FTP or command line scp to upload something? That will give you a true test of your upload speed.