Chapala.com Webboard

Lava rock garden - Scorpions?

Hola

Have been coming down here for 23 years.  Only ever seen one scorpion.  Thinking of now changing garden to drought resistant with cactus, etc and using lava rocks for fill in over earth to keep dust down.

In your experiences does that type of garden invite scorpions and such? 

Thanks for your input.

We lived in Arizona and San Carlos, Sonora.  Scorpion world.  They are nomads. Can be found just about everywhere.  Can get into your house in the least expected places.  We mainly see them at our  home in Brisas de Chapla on outside walls.  We use CYNOFF and it seems to work very well.  Also, there is a spray on the counter at most hardware store here, for around 70 pesos, that works very well.  

Information regarding scorpions:

https://pestpointers.com/places-where-scorpions-go-and-live-during-the-day/

On 5/6/2023 at 8:52 AM, WendyMX said:

Hola

Have been coming down here for 23 years.  Only ever seen one scorpion.  Thinking of now changing garden to drought resistant with cactus, etc and using lava rocks for fill in over earth to keep dust down.

In your experiences does that type of garden invite scorpions and such? 

Thanks for your input.

We changed all our gardens over to drought resistant plants and covered all the earth with lava rock. Never a problem with scorpions but we do have Fumiga spray outside every 6 months

The number of scorpions you see around here is highly dependent on where you live. People in towns with lots of traffic, vibration from that, noise, etc won't see as many scorpions as someone who lives around fields and quiet dark places for them to hide. I live on the edge of San Antonio with fields around. Scorpions hold fiestas and pilgrimages into houses every time the weather changes.

I have to spray the house every few months. One of my gardens is red rock.I think it's safe to assume there might be a scorp under rocks or behind pictures or rugs, if you don't like surprises. I never go barefoot either.

5 hours ago, Guiness said:

We changed all our gardens over to drought resistant plants and covered all the earth with lava rock. Never a problem with scorpions but we do have Fumiga spray outside every 6 months

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.  Who did you have do the work, Looking for someone to swap over our garden.