Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Travelero

  1. sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread... bmh, are you saying SRE asked you for a printout of your entries and exits from INM because at the time you applied for citizenship you did not have a passport to show the people at SRE? Or did you lose your passport at some point in the previous years such that you could not show them all of the relevant entry and exit stamps? I lost my passport about one year ago, so I cannot show all entry and exit stamps from the past 2 years. Wonder if that will be a problem when I apply for citizenship, or if SRE will just cross reference the dates I report to them? I've maintained a spreadsheet with all exits and entries during the past 5 years.
  2. That's a great article. I'm sad that they're removing Rivera from the billete de 500. It's just as tragic as when Bank of Canada redesigned the $5 bill and removed the hockey scene.
  3. Thank you kindly for the reply. I will definitely follow the advice to get the federal police report in CDMX and go to SRE there on the same day (then fly back). A couple of years ago I was forced to deal with an official who decided to add his own requirements to the published immigration law and I don't care to repeat that. There's a lot of value in finding the offices where the workers attempt to objectively follow the law and refrain from adding their own ideas about what should or should not be required. I appreciate the info about the state police report too. I'll definitely get that. Saludos
  4. I see the SRE lists two police clearance letters required when applying for a carta de naturalización por residencia. However, reading through several posts here I don't see stories of board members going to apply for a state/municipal police clearance letter (carta de no antecedentes penales). Does SRE insist on receiving that letter along with the federal police background check? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can share their personal experience with this. For me, it would be a six hour round trip drive to get the letter from the office of the prosecutor fiscalia in the state capital.
  5. I think Nuevo Vallarta was a good recommendation in terms of location. It is less of a party scene than most Mexican resort zones, but still near a large city and with some price competition. You did not mention an acceptable price range, so I don't know if this one fits, but I would recommend Occidental in Nuevo Vallarta. It's a beautiful property and less pricey than others.
  6. The rules concerning what legally requires a prescription, and what type of prescription (regular or barcoded) come from statutory law and also regulation. The Secretaria de Salud administers the laws passed by Congress, here the Ley General de Salud. Article 226 classifies medications into six fractional divisions: I through VI, each with its own legal requirements. http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio/pdf_mov/Ley_General_de_Salud.pdf Metformina is fraccion IV, and glancing at the list, I would only trust Dabex or Janumet brand. Fraccion I drugs you simply are not going to get at a pharmacy, no matter how much money you have. Fraccion II drugs are very unlikely to be sold without the corresponding bar coded prescription that can be recorded in the control books, which must be available at all times for the Cofepris enforcers to inspect. Fraccion III drugs are also highly controlled (ritalin for example) and require a control book entry, but depending on the pharmacy, cash will get you these without a prescription. Fraction IV require a normal written prescription but there are reasons we dont care and won't ask for these. Not interesting enough to explain, just know you can buy these no problem. And Fraccion V and VI medications of course are OTC. As in the United States, the law spells out some but not all details required to support a full regulatory scheme, so regulators exist and they fill in the gaps. Here, that regulator is Cofepris. The Secretaria de Salud retains authority to determine which items are Fraccion I and which are estupefacientes, but Cofepris generally classifies most of the remainder like Fraccion V and Fraccion IV medications. They publish a list that includes a classification of all drugs, and it's a great reference: https://www.gob.mx/cofepris/documentos/listado-actualizado-de-medicamentos-de-referencia-2017-10 I hope these materials will be helpful to other members.
  7. When you say SRE will in some cases waive the requirement, what does that mean? That SRE simply will not ask to receive a visa history letter from INM, but will verify, electronically or otherwise, the person's entries and exits from Mexico? Or that SRE does not require the letter and does not cross check entry and exit record and merely trusts the written declaration of the applicant regarding his or her absences?
  8. This is correct and I'll provide legal context and citation to support it (may or may not be related to my profession, regardless it is best that you research and confirm when someone cites law). Two laws govern whether and for how long a foreign resident may drive motor vehicles in the United States using a foreign-issued driver license (or when the vehicle bears foreign registration): Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Motor Vehicle Traffic (Washington, D.C., 1943) United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949) These are treaties signed by the United States. Treaties are superior to state law (but subordinate to constitutional law). Consequently, no state may abrogate, alter, or otherwise affect the legal rights guaranteed in a treaty. Might a state legislature still (foolishly) pass laws that attempt to do that? Yes. And some have, including Florida in 2012 (HB 7059, 2012). Spoiler alert, that law is unenforceable, and when informed about the aforementioned treaties and the superiority of treaty law to state law, Florida removed the language that attempted to make it illegal for foreign license holders to drive in Florida without obtaining an international driving permit. See FL Statute 322.04 from 2012 at https://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2012/322.04 . Compare with the 2018 language, although the offending language was removed later in 2012: https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2018/0322.04 https://www.miamiherald.com/news/article1947357.html Although this relates to driving on a foreign license, those treaties also protect the right of foreign residents to drive a foreign-registered vehicle for up to one year after the vehicle enters the United States. The clock would be reset by driving that vehicle out of the United States and reentering, even if done in a matter of seconds by u-turning at the port of entry. There just needs to be an entry record substantiating the date the vehicle last entered the USA if the person's right to operate it within the USA were to be challenged in court. I have no idea how frequently law enforcement at any level attempts to check and enforce this time limit, or from a practical standpoint, how they would do so. It seems they would likely need to rely on spoken statements by the person during a traffic stop as to date the vehicle entered the US last. As a caveat, engaging in ongoing, paid work within the United States might alter these legal rights. But the overriding concern is what can be proven. If stopped and cited for being in violation of a law like the old Florida statute, I would be very confident walking into a courtroom and presenting (1) an original and copy of a foreign residency visa and (2) an original and copy of a foreign driving license --or-- an original and copy of a foreign vehicle registration certificate (tarjeta de circulacion or similar) , asserting my foreign residency, declaring the date when the vehicle (or I) entered the US, citing the two aforementioned treaties, and winning the case. With the prior submission of a written brief stating these facts and making the legal conclusion of course. One additional note: some states are better informed about the legal privileges of foreign residents in the US. You can google search 'Driving in Wisconsin with a foreign driver license' , from the DMV website you will see information similar to what I stated above. Some states are simply more reasonable about all of this. As for mentioning that you have more than one license or more than one domicile (which is probably the important legal matter here, not mere residency), I would steer clear of any mention of that if you are going to show a foreign license and claim foreign residence. The existence of a license issued by a US state opens up the question of where your true domicile is, which is such a complicated issue not even the supreme court of the united states seems to understand it well (see Texas v Florida). Keep it simple. Here is my license from Mexico, where I love being retired, as RVGringo said. That's the perfect response if pulled over and questioned. I'd use it.
  • Create New...