Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southland

  1. One might conceive the idea that setting up a process to register a gun is designed to permit that person to have a gun, but also to identify primarily that person as a gun owner, a known admission, a known responsibility for that piece, and a known piece of information should a gun ever be used in self defense, that it was registered in good faith. A serial number is not the only way to identify a particular gun. The matchup to the gun in possession can be accomplished by other means, both photographic and verbal descriptions, not to mention post-use ballistics. Perhaps the laughs come easy, or perhaps no question is a stupid question. I own a machete that is sharp enough that it can take a man's head off in one swing. Perhaps taking that to be registered and admitted to be in my possession would also show good faith to law enforcement. Or maybe I should engrave a serial number on it first.
  2. My question is what if the pistol has no serial number. The ol' Saturday Night Special I think these revolvers are called. Would the army outpost north of Guad still give me a registration for it so it would be legal. Many thanks.
  3. Thank you all. I went to Spencer's office at 230 Hidalgo in Chapala, and yes, for 300 pesos, I have an RFC number now.
  4. Does anyone know the steps for getting an RFC No.? I have tried SAT.gob.mx but the Spanish gets a little technical. I hear a CURP No. is needed to trigger assignment of an RFC No. but don't know how it's done. An RFC No. is a tax i.d. being increasingly asked for to do larger transactions in MX, such as buying equipment, cars, etc. Thank you.
  5. Thank you for your inquiry. If the vehicle was manufactured for sale outside of the U.S. and does not have a U.S. EPA label in English, then it is a nonconforming vehicle (not manufactured to U.S. Federal emission standards). The vehicle will need to be modified, tested and certified by an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI). Or, if you can obtain a letter of conformity from the manufacturers U.S. Representative (http://www2.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/light-duty-vehicle-and-motorcycle-manufacturers-us-representatives) stating that the vehicle was manufactured to comply with the U.S. EPA Federal emission standards. U.S. version vehicles are vehicles that were: (1) manufactured in conformity with Federal emission requirements, (2) manufactured in accordance with a specific EPA certificate of conformity, and (3) manufactured with a U.S. emissions compliance label in the engine compartment that identifies them in the English language as conforming to all EPA requirements. Many U.S. version cars and light-duty trucks built since the mid-1970s and almost all U.S. version cars and light-duty trucks built since 1980 were originally manufactured with a catalytic converter and/or oxygen sensor. Not all vehicles equipped with catalytic converters are certified U.S. version vehicles. For example, virtually all catalyst equipped vehicles marketed by manufacturers for sale in Europe are not certified U.S. versions. For a vehicle to be eligible for importation as a U.S. version vehicle, it must have a manufacturer-equipped EPA emissions label in the English language in the engine compartment (or on the frame of a motorcycle, or on the block of a heavy-duty engine), or it must be accompanied by a letter from the U.S. representative of the manufacturer that states the vehicle was originally manufactured to be a U.S. certified version or subsequently converted to conform to EPA requirements. Otherwise, the vehicle will be considered by EPA to be a non-U.S. version vehicle. The regulations governing EPA's program for importing non-U.S. version vehicles were originally provided for in 1972 in the Clean Air Act (Act). These regulations ensure that all imported vehicles are brought into conformity with applicable emission standards. Section 203 of the Act prohibits importing any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine not covered by a certificate of conformity unless it is exempted by EPA or otherwise authorized jointly by EPA and Customs. The authority to allow the importation of nonconforming vehicles is discretionary with EPA and Customs. Customs will not permit admission of your vehicle until both emission (EPA) and safety (Department of Transportation) requirements for conditional admission are met, as well as all other Federal requirements. For a non-U.S. version vehicle to enter the U.S., it must be imported by either an individual who has a written letter of exemption from EPA, or by an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI), who is a private business in the U.S. that holds a valid EPA certificate of conformity. The ICI will modify and test the vehicle, as applicable, to meet the EPA emission requirements. Independent Commercial Importers import vehicles into the U.S. for modification and testing purposes so that the vehicles, upon final admission by EPA, comply with Federal emission requirements. Whether a vehicle may be imported depends on several factors, including the year in which the vehicle will be imported and the qualifications of the ICI. First, eligibility varies from year to year depending upon the age of the vehicle. A vehicle's age is determined by subtracting the calendar year in which it was originally manufactured from the calendar year of importation. For example, a European manufactured vehicle built in 1986 and imported into the U.S. in 1996 would be ten years old. Second, the ICI has to have a currently valid certificate of conformity, and if the vehicle's age is less than six years old, the ICI must have a currently valid certificate of conformity for a vehicle specifically like yours (i.e. same make, model, model year, and engine). Before making any purchase or shipping arrangements, you should be sure that there is an ICI who is eligible to import your vehicle and willing to import your vehicle and that you are prepared to pay the ICI charges. Vehicles required to be imported by ICIs must be entered through Customs by the ICI, not the vehicle owner, and must not be given to the vehicle owner until after the vehicle has met all EPA requirements and has been finally admitted by EPA. http://www2.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/list-independent-commercial-importers-icis Please visit our web site for a list of ICIs to contact if your vehicle is a nonconforming vehicle. You can also find more information on the importation on motor vehicles on our web site (http://www2.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines). Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns. NON-CONFORMING (NON-U.S. VERSION) VEHICLES · EPA strongly recommends that prospective importers buy only U. S. version (labeled) vehicles, because of the expense and potential difficulties involved with importing a non-U.S. version vehicle. · EPA strongly recommends that current owners of non-U.S. version vehicles sell or otherwise dispose of those vehicles overseas rather than ship and import them into the U.S., because of the expense and potential difficulties involved with importing a non-U.S. version vehicle. · The EPA policy which permitted importers a one-time exemption for vehicles at least five years old has been eliminated. · Before shipping a non-conforming vehicle for importation, EPA strongly recommends that the importer either make final arrangements with an ICI for modifications and testing, or obtain EPA approval in writing for importation. Storage fees at the ports are costly, and the vehicle may not be eligible for importation. · Not all non-conforming vehicles are eligible for importation, and ICIs are not required to accept vehicles for which they have qualifying certificates of conformity. · EPA certification of ICIs does not guarantee the actions or work of the ICIs, nor does it regulate contractual agreements and working relationships with vehicle owners. You will also need to contact the Department of Transportation (DOT) at 202-366-5291 or www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ for the DOT (safety) import regulations. David C. Hurlin
  6. That is a good suggestion, TelsZ4. I have emailed the CBP and submitted the serial number, make, model, year. I will report back what CBP tells me. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218/~/requirements-for-importing-a-vehicle-%2F-vehicle-parts
  7. Thanks RickS. I do see what you mean about assumptions and take that advisement about logic not coinciding with government laws and regulations. I will look again under the hood, but I am afraid this vehicle, though it is a premium class, and will meet all U.S. standards, probably will not have those DOT or EPA Emissions stickers. Thank you for your insights into the process of importing vehicles into the U.S.
  8. Thanks RickS. Maybe the below is a better orientation about the vehicle. Canada manufacturing assembles the luxury brands of Lexus and Acura. Mexico Acura imports directly from Canada, not from the U.S. The U.S. also imports Acura from Canada. I can't imagine a Canada assembled Acura exported to Mexico not meeting vehicle safety standards of the U.S. It was $50,000 usd when new. Of course, it does not and would not have EPA stickers or U.S. conforming statements on it because it never went to the U.S. in the first place. That does not mean it would not qualify; in fact, it exceeds some U.S. safety and emissions standards, for example having full-time running lights. Anyway, my question was for help to find a broker at the border. That broker might be able to tell me if an Acura, originally sold in Mexico and originally imported to the Mexican agency from Canada, is importable into the U.S. I'm not too good at the PM function or I'd send this to you directly. Thanks for any help.
  9. I have read some of the U.S. government postings on what is required, some of the fees. Does anyone know a suggested contact, or border crossover point, or agent to facilitate the processing of the car into the U.S.? Anyone familiar with this? Thank you.
  10. Thanks vetteforron. So if I read this right, you took the empty gun with you to an area near the army base. You packaged the gun securely so it was out of sight, and out of danger of falling out of its envelope or box perhaps/ A papeleria near Souriana's downloaded this form? http://www.gob.mx/sedena/acciones-y-programas/sedena-02-059 Does the above look like the form you turned in? They helped you to fill it out. You supplied immigration status card (residente permanente), passport, CURP, proof of domicilio (Telmex/CFE receipts). They at the army base instructed you how to go pay right there closeby the HOJA DE AYUDA PARA EL PAGO EN VENTANILLA BANCARIA, now around 85 pesos. Here is that e5cinco form used to pay (I hope): http://www.gob.mx/sedena/acciones-y-programas/sedena-02-062 The army personnel took the gun, processed the application, stamped it, gave back your gun, and now your gun was legal to bring back to and keep in your home. I guess I am wanting to know if sedena-02-059 is the application form to use. I will risk driving up there with the gun empty (in an envelope) and with my own application form filled out. Can you advise if that sedena -02-059 looks like the form to use? That will save me from making two trips. Thanks if you can steer me in the right direction to go ahead and proceed or if I am off course and need something more or different.
  11. Copying from Rolly's information, the below information would indicate two trips have to be made to the army base to register a gun. 1. The trip to pick up an application to fill out. 2. The trip back with the filled out application and the gun. Question: Any way possible to get ahold of the application paperwork without having to drive to NW Guadalajara to the army base just to get the application paperwork? Thank you, Notes from Rolly's column: Registering a gun You must fill out an application which you can get at any army base. In addition to the completed application, you will need your immigration document (or voter ID card if you are a citizen) and passport with copies, your CURP and proof of address. When you have all of this, you may then transport the weapon to the Army base for registration. The registration application is your permit to transport the gun to the base. The gun must be in a box or wrapped so that it is not visible. The approved application will serve as your carry permit on the way home. Thereafter, you must not take the gun out of the house without a special carry permit.
  12. Thanks for the replies. You both raised points I had considered. I also was looking for the government tables of importation duties, similar to the vehicle importation tables. Is there a table for motorcycle values, and is it 10% of the value like for vehicles? The problem I find is that MX bikes are high mileage (used for primary transport) but US bikes are often stowed in garages for a few years until they're sold. Thus, getting a used Texas motorcycle with low miles for $3,500 makes more sense than paying $7,500 here for a new one, if I can get it imported and plated for less than $1,000. I guess I am trying to get started with the nuts and bolts of importation of a motorcycle and having a hard time finding any info on the Internet. I am Permanent Resident status so I will need to import, pay the duty, register it in Jalisco. Also, besides Anuncios on the Internet, are other good websites available listing used motorcycles in Guadalajara? Thanks for the replies.
  13. Anyone have any information what customs duties would be on a motorcycle valued at $4,000? Are Suzukis importable from the States into MX? Thx.
  • Create New...