LETTER TO THE EDITOR
As expected, the Lakeside Tea Party has not responded to my questions in your July 31 issue about their platform, leading us to believe they really have no answers for the issues facing US voters today. Or, perhaps they are only as coherent as their goddess, Sarah Palin. Not to be deterred, I have more questions for the TP:
* Where were all you born-again deficit hawks when George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan each ran up the biggest deficits the country had yet ever seen during their administrations?
* Can you name one country in the world that has low taxes, low government and regulations—and a high standard of living?
* Now that the TP has its own Congressional Caucus, please state your relationship with the established Republican party.
* How would a TP administration treat the Military-Industrial Complex?
* How does the TP view the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq?
* About what percentage of your organization here receive US Social Security, US military or other pensions, disability, or Medicare?
* Some TP members have written letters to the Guadalajara Reporter denying that the TP is racist. Anyone who has watched the news in the last year and a half has seen the fanatical, hostile crowds at TP and Palin rallies, often holding placards with very racist pictures and/or making ugly, racist remarks. If you are truly not racist, why are these people flocking to your rallies? Why don’t you publicly denounce them?
* What would be the federal spending priorities of a TP administration? What would the US public have to look forward to with your party in office?
* During the US Revolutionary times well over 200 years ago, the economy and lifestyle was primarily agricultural. Half of the colonies utilized slave labor on their plantations. Please explain how hearkening back to those days is pertinent, much less beneficial to the US today.
* How do you imagine that the Founding Fathers would handle...modern industrialization, mass media, the internet, mega-corporations, multi-national corporations, widespread corporate malfeasance, handguns—which were not yet invented at the time the 2nd amendment was written, and modern scientific advances such as genetically modified foods and animals, gene-splicing, nanotechnology, life-support, etc.?
* Has anyone in your group actually ever read “The Federalist Papers?”
* Your most recent ad in the Guadalajara Reporter depicts an Uncle Sam sort of character appearing to do sweaty labor like planting trees. You say you want to “rebuild” America. Exactly what is this “rebuilding” going to consist of? And who will be hired to do this sweaty work, and who will pay them, and how much?
* Please explain the apparent contradiction of TP supporters living in Mexico, as the TP mobilizes in Arizona to support sealing the Mexican border.
Many people are awaiting your timely response. Thanks in advance.